Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do clear "replace 12v battery" warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
For background, see this thread: Blackvue 750 causing 12V battery warning?

Obviously, the easiest way would be to replace the 12v battery, but if you read the thread above you'll see why I'm skeptical that the 12v actually needs replacing. So I'd like to be able to experiment and see if unplugging the Blackvue will prevent the warning from coming back on.

I did a hard reboot of both the center display and the dash display, but that did not clear the warning.

Does anyone know how to clear that?

AFAIK once the warning appears... you need Tesla to reset that code... whether you replaced the battery or not

or their software to reset that code... if you can get your hands on it... I think some states in the US can for a fee?

• Informative
Reactions: efusco
I got the warning. The battery was fine. It was caused by my car being in a sleep state for a long time. Since the battery wasn't being charged, the voltage dropped below some threshold. Once that happens you need to have the service center do the reset.

They advised me that when I'm away from home for long periods of time I should periodically wake the car up by turning on the climate control. Now when I'm away, I turn on the climate control at least once a week. Everything's been fine ever since.

I got the warning. The battery was fine. It was caused by my car being in a sleep state for a long time. Since the battery wasn't being charged, the voltage dropped below some threshold. Once that happens you need to have the service center do the reset.

They advised me that when I'm away from home for long periods of time I should periodically wake the car up by turning on the climate control. Now when I'm away, I turn on the climate control at least once a week. Everything's been fine ever since.
I suspect that's what's going on here. It's just been 13 months since it was replaced, but my service advisor says it needs to be replaced...no warranty, but he's gonna try to keep the cost down for me. Frustrating b/c I suspect the battery is fine.

The warning will clear when the battery is replaced. There is not a code that needs to be reset. In my experience the system is looking at the voltage of the battery on a few cycles and sees when the voltage comes up. That is my best guess to how it is fixed.

The warning will clear when the battery is replaced. There is not a code that needs to be reset. In my experience the system is looking at the voltage of the battery on a few cycles and sees when the voltage comes up. That is my best guess to how it is fixed.
It isn't so much the act of replacing the battery that clears the code, it's the disconnection of the HV connector that completely shuts down the car. Learned this just yesterday. If you simply disconnect the 12v and reconnect it will not clear the code.

Reactions: UrsS
It isn't so much the act of replacing the battery that clears the code, it's the disconnection of the HV connector that completely shuts down the car. Learned this just yesterday. If you simply disconnect the 12v and reconnect it will not clear the code.

Well, if you disconnect the 12 V supply, the contactors will open, disconnecting the HV pack. Is that what you mean?

Because it has been reported by others that, changing their own 12V battery does not clear the warning so thus...
Well, if you disconnect the 12 V supply, the contactors will open, disconnecting the HV pack.
This doesnt work? Because to replace it you have to disconnect it.

Well, that's not what the tech showed me...but I see what you mean, it seems that would do the same thing.
So would disconnecting the First Responder Loop achieve the goal? Would you please kindly share some more info? so those of us who wants to replace our own battery can do so

Because it has been reported by others that, changing their own 12V battery does not clear the warning so thus...

This doesnt work? Because to replace it you have to disconnect it.

So would disconnecting the First Responder Loop achieve the goal? Would you please kindly share some more info? so those of us who wants to replace our own battery can do so
Yes, it was the first responder loop that he showed me.

I have been driving for 3-4 month now with the 12V service needed alarm on

today I disconnected the "frl" alone .... and that didnt do it ...

then I did disconnect the "frl" again and the negative on the 12V battery

I measured 12.75V on the battery disconnected

put all back again and the alarm was reset

time will tell if it last :)