Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do clear "replace 12v battery" warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving for 3-4 month now with the 12V service needed alarm on

today I disconnected the "frl" alone .... and that didnt do it ...

then I did disconnect the "frl" again and the negative on the 12V battery

I measured 12.75V on the battery disconnected

put all back again and the alarm was reset

time will tell if it last :)
Hi, I'm getting a 12V error code as well. I have a dashcam wired directly to the 12V. The 12V battery was replaced a few months ago so I don't think it's bad, just throwing codes.

When you disconnected the FRL and the negative on the 12V was there a particular order? 12V first and then FRL?

Also, how long has it been error free? Did it occur again?

Thanks.

I just confirmed on my Model 3, no need to pull the fire safety loop. Just disconnect the 12v battery and wait for the car to put itself to sleep, which will open the HV connectors on its own. This typically takes less than a hour after you walk away. Don’t run the phone app or the car features or it won’t shut down. All error codes will clear, but you won’t be able to turn the car back on until you reconnect the 12v. I would roll the a window and leave the front trunk open.

• Informative
Reactions: efusco
My car died while driving, ZERO warning. Help desk said 12v was bad. After 5 calls, lady said I needed a super jump. 13+ volts. Got it from tow truck. Car came alive, 12v battery went to 14.7. Great. Charged car. I was scared it might happen again, so I trailed it home. Been home 2 weeks it's fine. She said internal voltage regulator keeps battery chaged from main pack, to somewhere 12.8 and 14.8. I have ckd it every few hours after driving and she was spot on.
Note: to get to it is NOT fun. Wipers off, cowling out. Cabin filter removed. There it is under fuse panel.
I did have to replace my cabin filter.

I replaced my 12V battery today (with the Ohmmu 12v battery). After replacing the battery, the "12V Battery Needs Service" alert wouldn't clear. Per Ohmmu's FAQ, about 10% of the time, this requires a "deep reset" to clear the DC/DC converter.

I found a quick way to "deep reset" the car via the following youtube video:

TLDR: Use the wheel configuration (MCU -> Service -> Wheel configuration) to switch rim/size/color, which will then force the car to do a deep reset.

After I switched tire sizes, the car went through a deep reset and the 12v service alert disappeared.

Hope this helps somebody in the future!

my 2015 S say for 10 days while i was out of town. plugged in.
when i got home i had this warning for the 12v replacement.
went and drove about 20 miles. came back home and did the prev post suggestion and it cleared it.
thanks!!!

remember to put your car wheel setting back!

my 2015 S say for 10 days while i was out of town. plugged in.
when i got home i had this warning for the 12v replacement.
went and drove about 20 miles. came back home and did the prev post suggestion and it cleared it.
thanks!!!

remember to put your car wheel setting back!
The question is, will the error actually come back if there is an actual issue with your battery. Im in the same boat. I did not drive for over a week. Message came up, I cleared it, but what if there is an actual issue will the error come back or will it just die now without any warning. That is what is worrying me.

Thanks TMC! I just replaced my 12V with oem battery and did all types of reboots to try to clear message. It didn’t work and I didn’t want to unplug any other HV parts. THE WHEEL CONFIG CHANGE DID THE TRICK! My S was booting up crazy slow for a while now and I read on TMC thats one of the symptoms of an aged 12V battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: DerbyDave
I replaced my 12V battery today (with the Ohmmu 12v battery). After replacing the battery, the "12V Battery Needs Service" alert wouldn't clear. Per Ohmmu's FAQ, about 10% of the time, this requires a "deep reset" to clear the DC/DC converter.

I found a quick way to "deep reset" the car via the following youtube video:

TLDR: Use the wheel configuration (MCU -> Service -> Wheel configuration) to switch rim/size/color, which will then force the car to do a deep reset.

After I switched tire sizes, the car went through a deep reset and the 12v service alert disappeared.

Hope this helps somebody in the future!

Thank you Grizz !!

Your wheel configuration solution cleared my "12v battery must be replaced soon" warning after I replaced a new battery.

(MCU -> Service -> Wheel configuration)
Today I replaced my 12V battery on my 2015 Model S and the "replace 12V soon" warning did not go away. Tried the two wheel reset and all the usual tricks.

I suspect this was because the new battery was at 12.01V when I installed it. I decided not to charge it beforehand thinking that the car would take care of it. I left the car charging, and I think the DC-DC converter was charging the battery for some 5-7 hours. The "replace" warning did not go away in this time.

Then I tried changing the "wheel configuration" as suggested by Grizz: I changed to a different rim type and the car completely rebooted. And the 12V warning was gone! What a relief!

Got the 12 volt battery warning yesterday. Took it to Tesla and they changed the battery. I was told the error code should clear itself. It did not. Tried soft reset, hard reset, and changing the wheel configuration. Nothing worked. Took the car back to Tesla and so far after 4 hours of looking at it their stumped also. Will have to wait until Monday for result.

For background, see this thread: Blackvue 750 causing 12V battery warning?

Obviously, the easiest way would be to replace the 12v battery, but if you read the thread above you'll see why I'm skeptical that the 12v actually needs replacing. So I'd like to be able to experiment and see if unplugging the Blackvue will prevent the warning from coming back on.

I did a hard reboot of both the center display and the dash display, but that did not clear the warning.

Does anyone know how to clear that?