Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I arrive faster on a long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having superchargers every 150 miles is very convenient, and being able to charge at more than 300 miles per hour makes me wonder if it's better to drive fast and stop frequently or drive at 65mph as the navigation equipment suggest on long trips

I was checking out a 500 mile route last night on EV Trip Planner and found that the overall trip time was virtually the same whether I chose 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 for the Speed Multiplier:

Capture.PNG

Based on the times above, it would be faster for me to go at 1.1 instead of 1.2 speed multiplier. Even at 1.3, it would only shave a few minutes off the trip but would greatly increase the chance of a speeding ticket. I'm not one to really speed anyways so it's cool to see how the times balance out like that and I can get there in almost the same time without speeding.

In this case, slightly decreasing the speed greatly increases the trip time so I'll probably drive at 1.0 to 1.1.

Last edited:
Having superchargers every 150 miles is very convenient, and being able to charge at more than 300 miles per hour makes me wonder if it's better to drive fast and stop frequently or drive at 65mph as the navigation equipment suggest on long trips
do the math, it usually is more efficient time wise to make short hops at higher speeds than it is to range charge, drive a bit slower and skip SpC stops. remember the lower your SOC the faster the battery can take in "juice" when using a SpC. the first 3/4s of capacity can be put into the battery in around 30 minutes the last .25% would take another 30+ minutes. on my long road trips I usually only do a long range charge during a meal break, otherwise I just put enough into the battery to make it to the next stop.