Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I check active energy consumption?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. If you're consuming a lot of power while stationary, the energy meter will show slightly in the black, but that's all you get. There is no way to see, quantitatively, how much power the various systems are consuming.

I think it's better that way. People would obsess over the numbers and we'd have dozens of threads about whose air conditioning is using more power. Keep it simple. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I'm going to respectfully disagree with @Big Earl on this one. While not exposing that data might make it simpler for Tesla to avoid people bitching about inefficiencies, it's a valuable discussion to have. I think my Tesla is VERY efficient when I'm driving, but not so much otherwise and I could use the data to back that statement up. All I really have is the true kWh usage from my wall vs mileage and they don't agree very well with the 'advertised' values reported in the car GUI. That's mostly because the GUI doesn't track any energy usage when the car isn't actually moving. I think analysis of where energy consumption is really going is important. It should be a common goal towards a greener experience. It tells us where there might be a problem too. I'd love to see the data. Bjorn Nyland recently compared Tesla to some other EV for keeping vehicle temperature comfortable overnight and it was alarming how much energy the Tesla used. Also, being that I'm a tech geek, I want the data!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with @Big Earl on this one. While not exposing that data might make it simpler for Tesla to avoid people bitching about inefficiencies, it's a valuable discussion to have. I think my Tesla is VERY efficient when I'm driving, but not so much otherwise and I could use the data to back that statement up. All I really have is the true kWh usage from my wall vs mileage and they don't agree very well with the 'advertised' values reported in the car GUI. That's mostly because the GUI doesn't track any energy usage when the car isn't actually moving. I think analysis of where energy consumption is really going is important. It should be a common goal towards a greener experience. It tells us where there might be a problem too. I'd love to see the data. Bjorn Nyland recently compared Tesla to some other EV for keeping vehicle temperature comfortable overnight and it was alarming how much energy the Tesla used. Also, being that I'm a tech geek, I want the data!

Part of me wants the data. I love looking at it, analyzing it and identifying trends. But, surprisingly, part of me is really enjoying ignorance-is-bliss.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Like @Big Earl said, I have a kWH meter connected to the breaker that feeds my 14-50 receptacle. While parked and plugged in I can turn different accessories on and see what KW each is using. I can also compare Trip Meter kWH (battery usage) versus Grid kWH to determine Charging Losses + Vampire drain + Accessory use while not moving.

It is useful information but, like others have said, I do not know how useful it would be to most people and would probably create more confusion and complaints than it is worth.