Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I configure Inverter and CT in "Run Wizard" of Tesla Solar Gateway site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

go_solar

Dec 17, 2021
NC
Hello,
I've been using Tesla solar panels for couple of months. I'm seeing not much solar production. Same production before and after PTO. My system is 8.2KW, living in NC. In the month Nov and Dec I've got 220KW per month. According to this site PVWatts for my address and for my configuration I should be getting 800KW in the December. So I was trying to run wizard in the installer mode of gateway site to troubleshoot. and found that no settings in inverter and CT settings says None. How can I get these settings? Inverter box has nothing other than serial number. I dont see any Tesla inverter listed in the drop down. Also how can I get meter configurations such as primary CT1, CT2 and AUX CT1, CT2 and CT3? Thank you all in advance for any inputs!

Do you have a Powerwall? Once you get to the CTs page from the wizard, you should see some readings in the right column for the CTs. If none of them is showing any readings, then possibly none are actually connected. You may need to take a closer look at your setup to find the CTs and see where they are hooked up. For my PW+ setup, there was only one CT connected to the Neurio but it isn't really required since the Inverter is built in it should already know about the solar production.

Do you have a Powerwall? Once you get to the CTs page from the wizard, you should see some readings in the right column for the CTs. If none of them is showing any readings, then possibly none are actually connected. You may need to take a closer look at your setup to find the CTs and see where they are hooked up. For my PW+ setup, there was only one CT connected to the Neurio but it isn't really required since the Inverter is built in it should already know about the solar production.
Hi, thanks for your reponse. Yes I've 2 powerwall+. Yes as you said I do see some reading in the next column only for Meter-1 CTs. I dont see any readings for Meter2 CTs.

Assuming meter 2 is for the other PW+ it seems like maybe that one isn't producing at all. If you look at the System page on each inverter it will show your how much it is producing on each string. That should give you an idea if something isn't working as expected. You can compare the plans they left with you to see how many strings are supposed to be connected and based on how many panels are wired for that string, gives you an idea of how much it should produce.

BTW my CT is set to Solar X 2 and solar mode on mine.

With whole house backup, even if you aren't seeing the production due to a bad CT, the Powerwall+ measures the energy to/from the grid and has the ability to divert any "excess" production to charging your Powerwalls. "Excess" being not measured by the CT. The only way that you might be actually losing power is if some of the PVs aren't hooked up, e.g. via bad string wiring/bad inverter.

If you haven't compared last year's power use to this year's, I would do so as it would give you a rough idea about whether a whole string or inverter is out, or just not being measured in the app. Or, when you next have sun, check the rate of recharge of the Powerwalls, and if you can keep home use to a minimum so much the better. kWh into the batteries will give you a good estimate on actual generation.

All the best,

BG