Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I connect the SolarCity Zigbee to the Solar Edge inverter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been getting data in the Solar Edge dashboard. After about a month of back and forth between Tesla and Solar Edge, I sort-of figured out the issue - the Solar City zigbee unit shows a "no signal" light. I have this plugged right into my network via ethernet. My inverter is an HD Wave (no screen).

Is this not the correct way to connect this to my network? Tesla installers just handed me the thing and told me to plug it into my router. Does it need to connect to the Solar Edge inverter directly? Or is additional setup needed after plugging into your local network via ethernet?

There isnt any setup for that device. You are correct, you just plug it into your network. I dont have solar edge, but I am fairly certain that tesla has to do something in order for the data to get to solar edge.

There are a few threads on the solar gateway (black box). Here are a few on the solar gateway:

Tesla Solar Gateway / Wifi Reset
Tesla Neo Gateway not working after new router
Text message - Gateway not reporting

As far as solar edge reporting maybe this thread might help? I dont have solar edge but there have been a few threads on it

Tesla App and SolarEdge Inverter

I have not been getting data in the Solar Edge dashboard. After about a month of back and forth between Tesla and Solar Edge, I sort-of figured out the issue - the Solar City zigbee unit shows a "no signal" light. I have this plugged right into my network via ethernet. My inverter is an HD Wave (no screen).

Is this not the correct way to connect this to my network? Tesla installers just handed me the thing and told me to plug it into my router. Does it need to connect to the Solar Edge inverter directly? Or is additional setup needed after plugging into your local network via ethernet?

There are two things involved.

- You connecting to the router, getting an IP (if has a front indicator - says No Internet) if you cannot connect to internet, and No Server I think also.

- If too far from Invertors, there is another indicator

Last your installer lead should have linked that black box (they take serial number/mac) and link with your account (or else it wont send data to the right invertors database and link to your dashboard.

Best is ask Tesla to have you talk to the install engineer and he will be able to solve it.

Tesla is so bad in follow up.

There are two things involved.

- You connecting to the router, getting an IP (if has a front indicator - says No Internet) if you cannot connect to internet, and No Server I think also.

- If too far from Invertors, there is another indicator

Last your installer lead should have linked that black box (they take serial number/mac) and link with your account (or else it wont send data to the right invertors database and link to your dashboard.

Best is ask Tesla to have you talk to the install engineer and he will be able to solve it.

Tesla is so bad in follow up.
I did con tact Tesla and report that the Solar Edge dashboard had no data. They were adamant about the fact that they did not support that - even though it seems like they didn't install correctly in the first place...

So the "no signal" indicator on the Solar City box does not necessarily mean it's not on my network...it could just be that it's too far away from the Solar Edge HD wave?

I did con tact Tesla and report that the Solar Edge dashboard had no data. They were adamant about the fact that they did not support that - even though it seems like they didn't install correctly in the first place...

So the "no signal" indicator on the Solar City box does not necessarily mean it's not on my network...it could just be that it's too far away from the Solar Edge HD wave?

Yes it is too far.

My question is do you see anything on th Tesla app. If you are too far you would also not see anything on Tesla app.

If you see on Tesla App and not on SolarEdge monitoring app then seems when they setup your monitoring access (should b Dashboard and Layout views only), they did not do it correct.

Tesla black box collects data from SolarEdge invertors, uploads to Tesla who uploads to SolarEdge so you can see in their monitoring app.

It is frustrating but keep on calling and get tb right person, tell him/her they are God, best people on earth, cry you have put your life savings, s x life is effected need help in fixing this ...

Don't stress too much on SolarEdge app as they will throw the book at you - we don't support it ...

Good Luck !!!!

Last edited:

It means that your inverter is not talking to that box, but it doesnt mean your box isnt on your network. These inverters will connect to the "closest" zigbee box. Does your neighbor have solar?

This doesn't seem to be the case - the Tesla app works fine and updates in (near) real-time, even if the Solar City zigbee box is completely unplugged.

Ok so do you have two boxes one Tesla and one SOLAR City.

I only have one Tesla black box.

Then if Tesla app is updated then your invertor is speaking to something that uploads tbe data.

Don't know why SolarEdge site is not getting updated ... Maybe someone else can help.

Bad is we do not know if the Black Box sends to both Tesla and SolarEdge or it sends to Tesla and Tesla sends to SolarEdge.

If you have a power wall, tesla will get data from that.

I had to get a long ethernet cable to get the black box gateway closer to my inverter so it would get a signal.

Other people have gotten wifi network extenders that have an ethernet plug so they could put the gateway in the garage very close to the inverter.

Once the "no signal" light goes away, you should get data, or at least be able to diagnose if that was the issue or not.

I had this exact same problem a couple of days ago. Your inverter is using one of your neighbor's zigbee box as someone pointed out. That means Tesla still gets the data and you can use the Tesla app but for whatever reason, SolarEdge won't get the data.
Same as you, I mentioned to Tesla that I can't see the data on SolarEdge and then off goes the scripted text about how they don't support that. I've learned never to mention SolarEdge app to them.
Focus on telling them about the No Signal on your gateway. They can see and confirm that to be the case. Then they will fix it and everything will be fine once again.

Ok so do you have two boxes one Tesla and one SOLAR City.

I only have one Tesla black box.

Then if Tesla app is updated then your invertor is speaking to something that uploads tbe data.

Don't know why SolarEdge site is not getting updated ... Maybe someone else can help.

Bad is we do not know if the Black Box sends to both Tesla and SolarEdge or it sends to Tesla and Tesla sends to SolarEdge.
Solar Edge inverter talks to Tesla's Neo Gateway via Zigbee wifi. If Zigbee doesnt talk to Neo Gateway, you have a "No signal" light. If black Neo box is not connected to your router, Ethernet light is lit Tesla monitors panel production through the zigbee-Neo communication, then maybe once a week, sends monitoring info to your solaredge monitoring portal. You will not get real time solaredge data unless you directly connect ethernet to solaredge inverter. Tesla does not support solaredge monitoring. If you have PW2's, you can see close to real time production through CT's connected to the solar output wiring in the Tesla app. My Neo is 20' from Solaredge inverter, I'm connected to the internet, no signal to the inverter. The 2 screen shots are the old monitoring through solarcity solarguard. If you still have that account, it should still see your production.

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_005536793.jpg
    PXL_20210316_005536793.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 548
  • PXL_20210316_005559600.jpg
    PXL_20210316_005559600.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20210316_005714039.jpg
    PXL_20210316_005714039.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 132
  • PXL_20210316_010510444.jpg
    PXL_20210316_010510444.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 130
Solar Edge inverter talks to Tesla's Neo Gateway via Zigbee wifi. If Zigbee doesnt talk to Neo Gateway, you have a "No signal" light. If black Neo box is not connected to your router, Ethernet light is lit Tesla monitors panel production through the zigbee-Neo communication, then maybe once a week, sends monitoring info to your solaredge monitoring portal. You will not get real time solaredge data unless you directly connect ethernet to solaredge inverter. Tesla does not support solaredge monitoring. If you have PW2's, you can see close to real time production through CT's connected to the solar output wiring in the Tesla app. My Neo is 20' from Solaredge inverter, I'm connected to the internet, no signal to the inverter. The 2 screen shots are the old monitoring through solarcity solarguard. If you still have that account, it should still see your production.
That's not accurate. I have real time monitoring with SolarEdge without an ethernet connection and I am solar only so no PW.

Reactions: jhn_ and Sonny85
Just to add some data to this old discussion. Couple days last week I had some good production from clear, cool skies with near perfect solar production curves. Tesla solar app reported around 50-55kwh generated each of the days.

This morning I happened to open the SolarEdge app (rarely use it) and noticed no data for a few days. I then noticed that my Tesla Solar Gateway (small black zigbee box that communicates to the SolarEdge inverter) was off and had been since earlier last week. Once I got it working again it immediately started populating data in the SolarEdge app.

But my reason for mentioning this here is what I noticed next. Those few days last week the the Tesla app reported 50-55kwh generation days, were now down 2-4kwh across the board to more like 47-52kwh average. I wish I had thought to take screenshots before to compare to after.

So, while the Tesla Backup Gateway with my Tesla Powerwalls with SolarEdge inverter will report data to Tesla with only the Backup Gateway being connected, Tesla does use the data from the little black zigbee Solar Gateway for some sort of error correction, averaging, or prefers its data over the Backup Gateway. Anyone’s guess, but it does factor in.