Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I defer delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to njspotlight and nj1015, it was 16 million cut from 30 million, that's 14 million left. Assuming 5k each, that's 2800 rebates. There were 1800 applicants as of a month ago. I'm going to be skeptical that if we order the car today, there may not be the rebate for us.
The good news is if we can somehow delay it, there may be new money starting next year, on top of that if Democrats take back white house and congress, there's a good chance the electric car tax credit will be back.

My understanding is they cut 16 million from the entire budget, not 16 million every year. Even if so it's a 10 year program. They didn't allocate all the funds in a big bucket. It has a yearly cap as well and a total cap. The new year also starts October 1st. Unless they scrap it completely we should be fine.

At least that's my understanding. I contacted them and even they didn't seem to know much. Is there a chance they totally scrap it? Yeah. As of now though we should be fine, and since they already cut it a little I don't see them making another big cut or scrapping it entirely though. Who knows though, they aren't exactly beacons of transparency.

Lastly it's not actually a $5,000 rebate, it's up to $5,000. It's something like $50 a mile or so. Although I assume at least 90% would be the full amount as all Tesla's would hit the $5,000 cap. There are some Plugin hybrids that are eligible that only have 20 miles or so though, so there may be some sub $1,000 ones as well.

All this is going off memory though and like I said even they didn't seem to know when I talked to them.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
My understanding is they cut 16 million from the entire budget, not 16 million every year. Even if so it's a 10 year program. They didn't allocate all the funds in a big bucket. It has a yearly cap as well and a total cap. The new year also starts October 1st. Unless they scrap it completely we should be fine.

At least that's my understanding. I contacted them and even they didn't seem to know much. Is there a chance they totally scrap it? Yeah. As of now though we should be fine, and since they already cut it a little I don't see them making another big cut or scrapping it entirely though. Who knows though, they aren't exactly beacons of transparency.

Lastly it's not actually a $5,000 rebate, it's up to $5,000. It's something like $50 a mile or so. Although I assume at least 90% would be the full amount as all Tesla's would hit the $5,000 cap. There are some Plugin hybrids that are eligible that only have 20 miles or so though, so there may be some sub $1,000 ones as well.

All this is going off memory though and like I said even they didn't seem to know when I talked to them.
Dealing with government agency is never clear and cut, my hope is that people that bought the car after money is exhausted don't get the "we ran out of money allocated for this year, tough luck" crap.
I'm holding out on buying the car until things clear up, besides, tesla usually has end of the year *incentive* and we're not driving too much nowadays.

Dealing with government agency is never clear and cut, my hope is that people that bought the car after money is exhausted don't get the "we ran out of money allocated for this year, tough luck" crap.
I'm holding out on buying the car until things clear up, besides, tesla usually has end of the year *incentive* and we're not driving too much nowadays.

One thing to note is this may be the best timing for that. I was told the year resets October 1st, so that’s darn near perfect for people getting them now.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
I am in NJ and not having the same personal issues but still a similar experience. I went from hearing nothing, getting a text 9/21 saying you have a VIN and must schedule delivery ASAP and the car will be ready the week of 9/26. I asked my SA if we could push the deliver date to the weekend which would be 10/3, since both my wife and I work and it may be hard to get both of us there. I also needed to be sure all other things were ready to go. I was told flat out no, if you can not except delivery by 9/30 your VIN will be reassigned.

That end of quarter push means everything to Tesla.

Very similar situation to the OP where I will have to sell my vehicle beforehand and was quoted 4-8 weeks yesterday when I submitted my order.

What does it mean when you VIN gets reassigned? Do you just lose the allocation in whole or just to that specific car until they can get you another? When I say losing the allocation meaning will I have to pay another 100 dollar order fee to get back on line?

Very similar situation to the OP where I will have to sell my vehicle beforehand and was quoted 4-8 weeks yesterday when I submitted my order.

What does it mean when you VIN gets reassigned? Do you just lose the allocation in whole or just to that specific car until they can get you another? When I say losing the allocation meaning will I have to pay another 100 dollar order fee to get back on line?

Hey. Welcome to the forum. I’m the OP. I had to defer due to need to sell the current car and emailed my SA. I told her to defer until 11/01 since I also have a vacation mid October until the end which wasn’t an issue. I finally did sell my vehicle and asked my SA to put me back in the queue which also didn’t seem to be an issue. There is no additional $100 fee. If I don’t get it by the time I go away I will have to defer until 11/01 again. I’m hoping for a clean, newer build (not someone else’s reject) and hoping it doesn’t have significant issues that others seem to have. Good luck with your purchase. It seems like it’s not a huge deal to defer several times. That vehicle you defer will find a new home quickly. Especially the MY’s.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
Hey. Welcome to the forum. I’m the OP. I had to defer due to need to sell the current car and emailed my SA. I told her to defer until 11/01 since I also have a vacation mid October until the end which wasn’t an issue. I finally did sell my vehicle and asked my SA to put me back in the queue which also didn’t seem to be an issue. There is no additional $100 fee. If I don’t get it by the time I go away I will have to defer until 11/01 again. I’m hoping for a clean, newer build (not someone else’s reject) and hoping it doesn’t have significant issues that others seem to have. Good luck with your purchase. It seems like it’s not a huge deal to defer several times. That vehicle you defer will find a new home quickly. Especially the MY’s.

Thanks for the kind words.

I put in my order yesterday and I am probably a good candidate, in a desperate hope from Tesla, in getting allocated a rejected vehicle. With the NJ rebate, the low trade in offer makes it a little bit easier to swallow, given that it probably will take some time to come. So worst comes to worst I am alright with trading it in.

What I am more worried about is the refi on my mortgage I am going though. I still haven't closed yet and hoping that will happen soon but I guess we'll see.