Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I defer delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a RED LR Model Y less than a week ago on 9/10.. When I did it was quoting a 7-11 week delivery. I just got an email that it’s on it’s way to my delivery Center and ready for me to pick up on 9/22. How does this happen? That’s crazy quick with build estimate they’re quoting. I would like to defer delivery for a few reasons.

1. I need to sell my old car in order to pay a lot of my downpayment which I haven’t done yet.
2. I’m leery of the fact that this could be a reject from some else and I’m still worried about all the QC issues you read about on forums like this. Also Battery Day is next week so it might be worth waiting for that reason as well.
3. How do I defer? Who do I reach out to and how?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Don in NJ.

I ordered a RED LR Model Y less than a week ago on 9/10.. When I did it was quoting a 7-11 week delivery. I just got an email that it’s on it’s way to my delivery Center and ready for me to pick up on 9/22. How does this happen? That’s crazy quick with build estimate they’re quoting. I would like to defer delivery for a few reasons.

1. I need to sell my old car in order to pay a lot of my downpayment which I haven’t done yet.
2. I’m leery of the fact that this could be a reject from some else and I’m still worried about all the QC issues you read about on forums like this. Also Battery Day is next week so it might be worth waiting for that reason as well.

Don in NJ.

contact your delivery person, tell them you need to be put on a list to defer delivery until after XXXX date due personal reasons. Pick a date that you would be happy getting the car after. If thats "defer till October 15th or later" or something, then tell them that.

They should be able to un match you to that car, and not put you back into the queue till the date you specify. Just know that its a "dont start the process until" date, not a "give me a car on" this date. Meaning you cant say defer till october 15th and expect to have a car waiting for you on october 15th. you would defer to no earlier than october 15th and be prepared that it could be "1-11 weeks" from that date.

I ordered a M3 SR+ on Saturday 9/5. Delivery was supposed to be in 2-4 weeks. I had the loan already approved, so 2 to 4 weeks was perfect timing. I only needed to trade my car and I had offers from CarMax and other places higher than Tesla's offer.

When I spoke the bank they told me they need the MVPA to finalize the paperwork. The MVPA is only available once a VIN is assigned.

It turns out that they assigned a VIN to my order the same day. A couple of hours later the MVPA was available in my account. I uploaded the MVPA to the bank to finish the paperwork. Bank was closed Sunday and Monday (Memorial Day). On Monday I get a call from the Tesla store asking me when I'm picking the car up.

If I didn't pick the car up by Wednesday they will reassign the VIN and I will need to start the process again. The lady tells me that it is not her, that is the computer that does it atomically. Needless to say I was not very please about that call. How they expect anything to happen on a Holiday. It looks like Tesla does not know or care about Federal and Bank Holidays.

Luckily the bank processed the MVPA and gave me the papers to sign on Tuesday on time to be able to pick up the car on Wednesday. I don't know what happened if the bank had been delayed in providing the paperwork. I don't know how long it would have taken to get another VIN.

Don in NJ.
Similar thing happened to me. Ordered on Sep. 12, thinking I wouldn't get it until late Nov/early Dec, and the very next day, got a text telling me that my delivery will be on Sep. 22.

I have now gotten 2 texts asking me to choose my delivery date. The second one says if I don’t reply one will be chosen for me. I have replied to the 2 texts telling them that I need to defer delivery until early October while I sell my current vehicle privately. I have also emailed a service advisor who sent me an email after I placed my order. No one is responding. It’s very annoying. My service advisor is off on Wednesdays so I can’t even call her. What is my next step? I don’t want to deal with them not getting the fact that I need to defer for a reasonable amount of time. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have now gotten 2 texts asking me to choose my delivery date. The second one says if I don’t reply one will be chosen for me. I have replied to the 2 texts telling them 8 need to defer delivery until early October while I sell my current vehicle privately. I have also emailed a service advisor who sent me an email after I placed my order. No one is responding. It’s very annoying. My service advisor is off on Wednesdays so I can’t even call her. What is my next step? I don’t want to deal with them not getting the fact that I need to defer for a reasonable amount of time. Any suggestions?

Just call and leave a message for your SA/DA or call the general Tesla line and talk to someone. If the accept button appears on your account, don't click it.

It would be funny if it wasn’t annoying. I’ve now gotten a Loan agreement and VIN 45XXX. I’ve also been given a delivery date of 9/22 even though I’ve told them numerous times and numerous ways via text and email that I’m not ready yet because I still have to sell my car and was expecting a 7-11 week build. I responded to numerous texts. I’ve called and left a message for my SA. They are going to reach out to me in 24/36 hours to confirm even though I can’t accept it by then What do I do now? For a tech company they aren’t too good at this.

It would be funny if it wasn’t annoying. I’ve now gotten a Loan agreement and VIN 45XXX. I’ve also been given a delivery date of 9/22 even though I’ve told them numerous times and numerous ways via text and email that I’m not ready yet because I still have to sell my car and was expecting a 7-11 week build. I responded to numerous texts. I’ve called and left a message for my SA. They are going to reach out to me in 24/36 hours to confirm even though I can’t accept it by then What do I do now? For a tech company they aren’t too good at this.

Yeah, their communication is almost comically bad. Honestly at this point I'd just tell them you're not ready if they ever reach out to you. If they don't and go ahead with the 9/22 delivery date just don't show up and you should be put back into queue AFAIK. It's not like there's any fee for it. You've tried to give them a heads up, so if they can't be bothered to spend time to help you, I wouldn't be bothered to try to save them time any more. Just my two cents I'm very new to Tesla as well.

Stop chasing after them.

Do nothing. Don't respond. Don't fill out your delivery info. Don't pay. Just ignore them.

Your delivery date will come up, they'll ask you do a bunch of stuff and will keep postponing until you do so. Only fill that info out when you're ready to proceed.

If Tesla decides to drop-off a free car to your front-door then take it. You don't owe them $0.01 if they decide to give you a free car.

Well I finally got a call from my advisor after I emailed her again. I found out my vehicles build date was 9/7/20. It’s so weird that the VIN is 45XXX range and others are posting VINS in the 50XXX range. No one seems to know how VINS are assigned. Obviously we all want the most recent build to hopefully not have a lot of the fit and finish issues people post about so much. That’s a whole other issue that a car at this price point has so many QC issues. She said she can hold my delivery until 9/25/20 but I still have to sell my current car since I was supposed to have 7-11 weeks not 1. I will have to see what I can do for selling my car. I’ve heard good things about Carvana but want to maximize my sale and Tesla’s offer was way too low. Any thoughts or opinions on a car built on 9/7? Should I try to see if I can make that work? Should I defer for a month to be sure I sell my current car for the best price? I have another vehicle I can use so I can keep the one I’m selling in the garage until I sell it and can wait for the best time.

I have a feeling it's a deal that didn't go through, and I'm not trying to insinuate its a reject. Somebody else in same situation, so now it's available. That could be it also.
I just ordered mine, and i DON'T want it any sooner than end of next month at earliest. I'm happy waiting at this point.

Two things.
1. The NJ electric car rebate may not be there for you. The funding was cut by 16 million I believe, so not sure if it's going to be a big deal to you.
2. Battery day won't change anything if you're going to get the car soon. I mean even if it's something new, it won't be implemented on the cars until months if not years later. Remember the original battery day was scheduled months ago.

Reactions: Blue Skye
I bit bullet and ordered my long range awd in nj, while I didn't really want a car till end of November or even December. I don't want to be sol on the rebate. That being said I don't have a car to trade in. I moved to the suburbs...just a 2nd car for us. As I am realizing with 2 kids and no walkabilty it's tough.

Two things.
1. The NJ electric car rebate may not be there for you. The funding was cut by 16 million I believe, so not sure if it's going to be a big deal to you.
2. Battery day won't change anything if you're going to get the car soon. I mean even if it's something new, it won't be implemented on the cars until months if not years later. Remember the original battery day was scheduled months ago.

well I am definitely counting on the $5000.00 NJ rebate. It’s. Rey important to me. I know there’s a risk there. I’m hoping it’s still going to be there in 6-8 weeks or so. Battery day is anyone’s guess but some have said it might mean some minor upgrades like the tail lights were that are being implemented as we speak and will just be revealed on Battery Day. Maybe some software update that increase range or boosts power. We won’t know until Elon announces it. I officially gave up my vehicle and deferred u til the end of October since we have a vacation in the middle. If I sell my current vehicle before I go away I will reach out to my service advisor and let her know. Hope I made the right choice. It just didn’t sit right with me that a vehicle I was told would take 7-11 weeks was matched to me in 5 days. But the bigger issue is selling y current car to help with the downpayment.

Maybe I’m just overly optimistic, but don’t think there’s much worry about the rebate straight up going away any time soon. It was originally 10 years 100 million earmarked at max of 10 million a year I think. Even dropping 16 million from it leave some 8 years. Who knows though.

As the Violent Femmes said in their song about everyone lying. “I’ve never had this problem with nobody in the government,
I guess I always figured
they never mean what they meant”

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
Maybe I’m just overly optimistic, but don’t think there’s much worry about the rebate straight up going away any time soon. It was originally 10 years 100 million earmarked at max of 10 million a year I think. Even dropping 16 million from it leave some 8 years. Who knows though.

As the Violent Femmes said in their song about everyone lying. “I’ve never had this problem with nobody in the government,
I guess I always figured
they never mean what they meant”
According to njspotlight and nj1015, it was 16 million cut from 30 million, that's 14 million left. Assuming 5k each, that's 2800 rebates. There were 1800 applicants as of a month ago. I'm going to be skeptical that if we order the car today, there may not be the rebate for us.
The good news is if we can somehow delay it, there may be new money starting next year, on top of that if Democrats take back white house and congress, there's a good chance the electric car tax credit will be back.

According to njspotlight and nj1015, it was 16 million cut from 30 million, that's 14 million left. Assuming 5k each, that's 2800 rebates. There were 1800 applicants as of a month ago. I'm going to be skeptical that if we order the car today, there may not be the rebate for us.
The good news is if we can somehow delay it, there may be new money starting next year, on top of that if Democrats take back white house and congress, there's a good chance the electric car tax credit will be back.
The fiscal budget for nj ends 9/30 for this year. It would essentially re-up potentially 10/1 for another xyz dollars, exhaust completely..stop gap. Who knows but I expect we will probably know soon.

Similar thing happened to me. Ordered on Sep. 12, thinking I wouldn't get it until late Nov/early Dec, and the very next day, got a text telling me that my delivery will be on Sep. 22.

That’s because you ordered at the last month of the quarter. They do most of the deliveries at the end of the quarter. Last year I got my model 3 in 8 days instead of 2-3 weeks. I ordered March 15th.

Don in NJ.

That’s because you ordered at the last month of the quarter. They do most of the deliveries at the end of the quarter. Last year I got my model 3 in 8 days instead of 2-3 weeks. I ordered March 15th.

You can defer it as others have advised.