Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't hear it inside so who's it irritating to?
I have severe hearing loss and I can still hear the reverse sound from the inside.

Also I happened to be driving in my work parking lot earlier, and noticed that most of the newer cars were inaudible in reverse since people typically don't hit the accelerator in reverse. In drive when they actually hit the gas, the cars were audible.

To the best of my knowledge, in March 2020 the Model 3 had no AVAS/PWS. There was no speaker.

i owned a march 2020 build m3p. i had the speaker.

After following this thread for a while I have one question. Why? You can't hear it from inside the car. Do you hate blind pedestrians? It only occurs at low speeds.

Just asking. For a friend.

for me, its because i want a silent car. one of the things i love about a battery car is no sound.

Reactions: jrcase
I, for one, do not like noise. It also serves no purpose.

When somebody walks in front of my car, I don't know whether the person is blind or deaf or normal. So I do not run them over anyway. Knowing that I have no sound makes me careful.

The purpose of the AVAS regulation is to defame electric vehicles. That's very easy to find out. If the rule were, quiet vehicles have to produce some noise, that could have been at least well-intentioned. But the regularion is, only electric vehicles have to produce some noise. Such a rule can only be invented by lobbyists, and guess whose interests they support.

I just got my Model 3 LR yesterday and while I don't mind the forward sound at all I find the reverse sound to be very annoying. Its too loud, and too high pitch. I can hear it inside my house, unlike my wife's virtually silent (when going slow or backing up at least) V6 powered minivan.

So until they let me adjust the volume to be in line with an ICE car or change the reverse sound to make it the same as the forward sound the PWS speaker is going to remain unplugged. I may splice a switch into the cable at some point so I can easily turn it on when needed.

What I find particularly funny is that I used to back down my driveway in neutral with the engine off in my previous (manual transmission) car and then start the engine once I was in the street (it had loud exhaust from the factory and doing so helped not wake up the kids in the morning) and that car wasn't required to have a noise maker. Heck it didn't even have a backup camera.

I understand the desire to make it easy for people to know that a car is coming but it shouldn't be any louder than a typical econo-box ICE car. I have a horn if I need to be loud.

Reactions: SylvainG
Unfortunately no longer. With update version 2022.28.1 Tesla has installed a speaker connection check, which yields a permanent on-screen error message if the speaker is not connected.

One could, of course, attach a resistor to the cable, but such a manipulation would no longer be deniable.
thats funny i had my speaker disconnected since late 2019 .. and just reconnected 6 months ago or so or whenever they introduced boombox 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 93
i owned a march 2020 build m3p. i had the speaker.

for me, its because i want a silent car. one of the things i love about a battery car is no sound.
I had a FEB 2020 M3LR+. I have a MAR 2020 M3LR+ and a NOV 2022 M3LR. To date I have yet to hear a peep out of he speaker when in Drive. The backup sound is there, in full force. When I asked Tesla (both a Mobile Ranger and the Dallas Service Center), they said it was there, but was masked by the cooling system. After 58 years as a Broadcast Engineer, I kinda have a brief idea of how audio works...
I put a 'scope and recorder on the speaker leads and went for a few tests. There is not a peep coming from the speaker in Drive. Nada. The 'scope revealed no change in the baseline noise when in Drive, and of course the strange noise when in reverse, which changes in pitch and volume as you accelerate.
When I mentioned this to the Service Center on a subsequent visit. Really don't understand their attitude.
Since the cars are in violation of the federal mandate, it's Tesla's problem, IMHO.
I have had no alerts when the speaker was accidentally left disconnected in both the TGSV and TBB. There is now an 8 ohm 5 watt resistor across the leads, and somehow the wire to the speaker has accidentally come loose from the connector.
Old people have time for such trivia.

I'm surprised of your results. In my parking garage I can hear the sound change when going from Park to Drive. I only hear it with windows down and because it bounces off the garage walls. It sounds vaguely like a fan although my fans are not running. You might call it white noise I guess. I haven't tried it recently but it was that way say a year ago.
EDIT: IMO, the reverse sound is too loud and forward sound is too low :)
EDIT 2: I have an early 2020 model 3 LR AWD, delivered December 2019, Canadian model.