Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on what, if anything, the car is monitoring. The typical speaker is 8 or 16 ohms of resistance, I believe.

Of course, if they really wanted to make it hack proof, they could have the inside microphones listening for the sound in real time...

Or it could just be an independent box hooked to the CAN network where it generates and amplifies the sound as well as having the speaker. Otherwise they would have had to put the sound generator/amplifier somewhere else making changes to multiple places in the car. By putting it on the CAN network they only need to tap into power and the CAN network, which is already all over the car. So until someone opens it up and finds differently I am assuming it isn't just a speaker.

Reactions: Saghost
That's not correct. I am a lawyer and have won many auto versus pedestrian accidents where I represent a driver.

My statement was intentionally more limited.
Win or lose in court, I doubt many posters here want to run over some poor pedestrian (specially a child) if there is any way at all they can avoid it even if it's not legally their fault. A lifetime of guilt can't be cured by the law. I can see where a noise maker could make the difference. I lived with a Leaf for 6 years and you can't even hear the forward noise from inside the car unless the windows are down. The back up beeper is only on for a few seconds most of the time.

Win or lose in court, I doubt many posters here want to run over some poor pedestrian (specially a child) if there is any way at all they can avoid it even if it's not legally their fault. A lifetime of guilt can't be cured by the law. I can see where a noise maker could make the difference. I lived with a Leaf for 6 years and you can't even hear the forward noise from inside the car unless the windows are down. The back up beeper is only on for a few seconds most of the time.

The problem is that the government mandated sound level has absolutely NOTHING with whether it is loud enough to where you will overtly hear it as a hazard. If that was the case, they would mandate a certain sound level for ALL vehicles and it would be a lot louder than it is now. Take cars backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot... The sound of just about any ICE vehicle slowly backing out is barely anything especially because of built in creep.

This mandated sound was not to prevent any specific type of pedestrian getting hit scenario. Very loosely, it was a solution looking for a problem. Yes there are a lot of things that have been implemented into vehicles that are the same...3rd brake light comes to mind, and I'm not going to sit here and say it isn't a good idea or that they shouldn't mandate it. I am just saying that the regulation is way to strict as far as the type of sound when seeing that there is not some crazy epidemic of people getting hit SPECIFICALLY because they "didn't hear" the car. Please, if someone can find a study that actually shows this that would be great...but it doesn't exist.

Reactions: PACEMD
I am glad that I got the car 6 days before this stupid sound installation came on. I hope that my car does not have the speaker and gets turned on in a future update. That noise will wake up my quiet neighborhood while I reverse out of the garage onto a long driveway.

I might have missed out-on some goodies that were promoted last week but I wanted the white color ( southeast sun) and the 18 inch wheels and did not care for the free supercharger, since our SR+ is not going long distances.

Can we hit 100 replies with still no specific information from someone who actually defeated it and how they did it and what they found?

So that my.post isn't another opinion/complaint devoid of facts, here is some interesting background. Senate Approves Bill Requiring Silent EVs Like Nissan’s Leaf to Make Noise

But that wasn't the question from the OP. The OP just asked HOW to disable it. Are you now proposing the NEW question of Has anyone disabled/defeated it and what did you find? 100 replies then starts with your post #87! :D

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I am glad that I got the car 6 days before this stupid sound installation came on. I hope that my car does not have the speaker and gets turned on in a future update. That noise will wake up my quiet neighborhood while I reverse out of the garage onto a long driveway.
FWIW my car has the holes in the under-tray for the speaker or whatever is in there. No noise - but provision there. July 2019 build.

But that wasn't the question from the OP. The OP just asked HOW to disable it. Are you now proposing the NEW question of Has anyone disabled/defeated it and what did you find? 100 replies then starts with your post #87! :D

Really?

The best (really only useful) answer to the question
How to disable the speaker?​
would be something like:

When I did it I used a torx wrench on the underside panel, there are two screws. the second screw is hidden on the underside. And then I had to pull off the clips on the left side. I unplugged the molex connector. But I had a error on the screen, so I had to put a 8 ohm resistor in the molex connector..

.. or whatever.​

Did I really have to explain that?

Really?

The best (really only useful) answer to the question
How to disable the speaker?​
would be something like:

When I did it I used a torx wrench on the underside panel, there are two screws. the second screw is hidden on the underside. And then I had to pull off the clips on the left side. I unplugged the molex connector. But I had a error on the screen, so I had to put a 8 ohm resistor in the molex connector..

.. or whatever.​

Did I really have to explain that?

Well actually the most appropriate response technically to the OP's full question would be this...

The same speaker is used for both forward and reverse sounds, so if you disable it, it will be all or nothing

Since the OP only wanted to disable the "forward moving noise maker"

Is it true that in Version 10, you'll be able to select the sound from a choice of:

Cow bells
Sleigh bells
Harley motorcycle
Mac Truck
Bicycle bell
Growling dog
The theme from Jaws
Jet engine
"Watch Out... Watch Out..."
Your own recording
V10 ... wonder if any of the (S) Tesla's that lost range during one particular upgrade will go to 10 after realizing Tesla sneaks certain bombs (like reducing the amount you can recharge) in as well. Some (X&S) are still on Ver8 due to hatred & heads up of v9 UI changes.

Wow that’s bad, so glad I don’t have one of those in my 3. I could understand the reverse noise, but the forward noise sounds like an airplane taking off.

I wonder how loud this actually is, it’s impossible to know from watching a video. Is it similar to an ICE? What I’m wondering is what this sounds like in a quiet residential neighborhood in the middle of the night?

One thing I love about my P3D, is no one can hear it, so if you take off pretty quick, it doesn’t draw attention, at least not even close to an ICE. You can’t drive your vette in a spirited fashion without drawing a lot of attention to yourself.

I wonder how loud this actually is, it’s impossible to know from watching a video. Is it similar to an ICE? What I’m wondering is what this sounds like in a quiet residential neighborhood in the middle of the night?
The forward sound is very quiet. It sounds kind of like a jet engine, but if you had a recording of one being played on headphones under the car. The sound the AC makes is honestly louder.