Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, there's finally a video about how to disconnect the speaker. Easy. It's in French, but the words don't seem to matter much:

141 posts! and finally a decent answer. It took a quebecois

If you hate video take comfort that it is short and good.

Even shorter:

1. Use a flat blade screw driver on the passenger side front wheel well in the front of the tire. There are three screws.
  2. And then pry/bend back the wheel well liner revealing the inner bumper area.
  3. At the bottom is a molex connector. Unplug it. There were no errors on the screen.

Last edited:
Will it rattle around inside the bumper since it's not connected to anything?

What someone needs to come up with is a jumper type connector that fits between the original connection points and just breaks the connection but leaves everything attached where it should be.

Sounds like a job for a zip tie.
Could just unplug molex ... split some of the wire loom .... cut the wire(s) inside (be sure cut ends cannot contact each other after cut.....elect tape) cover split in wire loom w/ elect tape if you are worried about water splash there ?? ..then reattach molex .. would appear perfectly normal even if someone looked in there .. everything would still be attached ..could always reattached wires inside loom if down the road some software update did cause error code(s) to be thrown

Last edited:
Just an FYI. Took delivery yesterday, the sound is not annoying or even really noticeable - I dare I say it's actually cool. I didn't notice or mind it at all. With all the hair on fire talk you'd think it's playing Slayer.

With that said, I used my wife's cricut with some huge roll of $9.99 vinyl acquired on Amazon, and simply covered the front ped warning speaker grill with a 4" circle of vinyl. As others have posted it turns the volume down by 50% or more. Hardly noticeable at all now.

All you need is a 4" vinyl circle to cover the speaker grille and you're good to go. It works, and requires only a few moments of time; not to mention you can reverse it in seconds.

PM me and I'll make more 4" circles and mail one to you.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
This be small potatoes, we can equip the speaker system with a little electronic bypass that restores the circuit whenever it senses a Tesla Service Center nearby, or when the bump detector is triggered by running over a pedestrian or farm animal. A more Neanderthal version equips a vinyl tape speaker mute with little lines and fish-hooks hanging down, so if you run someone over, they catch on their clothing, or fur, which removes and shreds the speaker mute as the corpus is dragged down the roadway.

But if The Regulators get more involved, they're going to aim to properly sanitize our Model 3s so they can't accelerate dangerously, so the TACC only works in 100% sobriety on FDA-approved short sections of freeway with no exits, and so the AS is totally disabled until Tesla proves that it's impossible for it to malfunction on any paved or unpaved roadway of planets Earth and Mars.

Investing minds are already calculating the ROI on the looming black market in Tesla firmware mods.

Last edited:
I'm good with the speaker, if it prevents even one accident then it's worth it.
Just an FYI. Took delivery yesterday, the sound is not annoying or even really noticeable - I dare I say it's actually cool. I didn't notice or mind it at all. With all the hair on fire talk you'd think it's playing Slayer.

With that said, I used my wife's cricut with some huge roll of $9.99 vinyl acquired on Amazon, and simply covered the front ped warning speaker grill with a 4" circle of vinyl. As others have posted it turns the volume down by 50% or more. Hardly noticeable at all now.

All you need is a 4" vinyl circle to cover the speaker grille and you're good to go. It works, and requires only a few moments of time; not to mention you can reverse it in seconds.

PM me and I'll make more 4" circles and mail one to you.

This is a great idea

I'm good with the speaker, if it prevents even one accident then it's worth it.

This is a great idea
I have the speaker and yet have driven behind several individuals and groups of people who still didn’t know I was there. It’s just the same as my Toyota Highlander. Pedestrians are often oblivious...on phones, AirPods, talking, etc. The reverse sound has some merit, but even with that I’ve had a couple of people appear clueless that I was backing up toward them. This stuff just makes more noise...awareness seems more commonly to be lacking on the pedestrian’s side regardless of safety features. I don’t feel like the save-one-accident argument is realistic. Getting out of your car and loudly announcing your intentions could save additional accidents...shall we do that?

Reactions: SpaceCash
And of course, every LEO is going to know the exact cutoff date for cars having the PWD (Oct 1, 2019--oh wait, or is it 2020???)... AND the exact build date of the car in question? There's essentially no way to realistically enforce this law.

Any state mandated safety inspections I am sure will be updated to include this...Anything to be able to fail a car.

Any state mandated safety inspections I am sure will be updated to include this...Anything to be able to fail a car.

Nope. I doubt that will ever happen.

In CT, there are no inspections for EVs whatsoever.

Do state inspections check seat belts? It’s like that.

I also don’t think state inspectors are out to fail as many cars as possible for any reason they possibly can.

I also don’t think state inspectors are out to fail as many cars as possible for any reason they possibly can.

I think there are about 20 states that require periodic safety inspections, and yes at least for some states(New York, Louisiana, Virginia) do check seat belts to some extent. Virginia checks for "Approved type, installation, condition"

The fun one is the common requirement that if there is an exterior light bulb, it must be functioning, whether it is a required light or not.

Might not happen at the federal level, but some states already perform carious safety checks every year. I'm right next door to you in NY and this is what the safety check includes:
  • Seat Belts
  • Brakes
  • Steering, Front End, Suspension, Chassis, Frame and Wheel Fasteners
  • Tires
  • Lights
  • Windshield and other Glass
  • Windshield Wipers
  • Horn
  • Mirrors
  • Fuel Leaks
  • For cars that require it - emissions via OBD2 monitor checks.