Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I find a inexpensive electrician?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very helpful thread -- thanks to everyone for posting.

Have a Model S scheduled to arrive next weekend. I am thinking of installing a 100 amp line and one NEMA 14-50 (the 100 amp line is to allow me to charge a second EV when Model 3 comes out). Unfortunately, I need about 100 ft of line since the box is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. I've gotten three quotes, all in the $3-4K range, which seemed high, although they included a permit all three said would cost $600. I called another electrician who did the install for a friend with a Model S. I did not mention the "T" word, and his quote over the phone was $800. We'll see if that sticks when he comes by next week.

I got it done with tesla recommend electrician company and he charged me #500 for installation of NEMA 14-50, he actually toldo me he would charge $150 for his time at the city to pull the permit and I would have to pay for the permit extra. He said it was upto me.if I want to spend that extra money for a permit and for his time to get the permit. He said they follow all the codes and Since he was tesla certified I did not worry about getting the permit. He also mentioned if I want to get t the permit I can get it from the city anytime and get it inspected.
After reading the posts I am worriedoing a little about not getting the permit.

I got my nematode 14-50 installed today and he did a very good job . First he took the wire to the ceiling and took it halfway to the garage and then brought it down and also he had to replace the breaker and everything nice and clean and even the plug is concealed in the wall and he charged me $200.00.No permit pulled.

I am a new owner. I ordered my P90D and then they found one almost identical to what I ordered and were able to have it sent from NY which allowed me to get if faster and to save some $$ due to a better residual value. As a result, I had less time to get an electrician in and have my wall connector installed.

My electrical box is in our basement, but both panels were full. The electrician had to install an additional panel, then run a 100 amp line across the basement utility room ceiling (about 30 feet), then up through the ceiling to the garage. They then installed a circuit breaker in the garage, and completed a conduit run up the wall and across the ceiling (24 feet), then down the wall between two garage doors and connected the wall connector. Total cost was $2400. Seemed expensive for our area (Indianapolis, IN) as some others I have spoken to report paying about half this, but not sure if their installation was as complex as mine. Very happy with the work, looks great, and they did it within a week of my initial call.
Which Indy company did you use? I live in the area and am looking to get Level 2 in my garage in the near future. Thanks!

If distance from the electric panel to the new plug is a $ issue, Tesla does sell a 20' mobile connector for $550. The added advantage is you have a connector that you can permanently just leave in the garage. Another option is an extension cord. Tesla does not recommend an extension cord but if you are careful to make sure the wiring values are similar to or better than what you would use in relocating the switch to the opposite side of your garage it is an option to consider. I have a Camco 55195 30' that I got on Amazon. They go for about $110 now and have received excellent recommendations from Tesla owners. They are also selling a 15' one now for about $65.

FYI from Common Problems When You Don't Pull a Permit

"It’s commonplace for homeowners to forgo required permits and many contractors play along, or suggest it as a way to save money. But in the off chance that code enforcement authorities flag these violations, homeowners can face fines and penalties that far exceed the cost of the original permit. In addition, the city may require contractors or DIYers to tear out work, such as drywall, and do it over."

"Not all code violations come back to bite the homeowner in the form of shoddy work that needs repair or city fines. But experts say if, for example, a homeowner does electrical work without proper permitting and problems down the road spark a fire, a homeowners policy may not pay for damages."

Do yourself and your family/neighbors a favor- do NOT skip on the permit.

Just my 2 cents.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF and RAM_Eh
I just realized I needed to get permits for my chandlers, ceiling fans, hanging lights, etc... and bunch of other electric work I did since I bought the house. Each permit is like $150, I am curious if anyone actually files for all of them

Reactions: RobertF
I just realized I needed to get permits for my chandlers, ceiling fans, hanging lights, etc... and bunch of other electric work I did since I bought the house. Each permit is like $150, I am curious if anyone actually files for all of them
Hi @K-MTG (has a been a long time I have been MIA :D). I dont think adding fixtures or appliances requires a permit. Upgrades to the service panel or adding high amperage circuits needs permit. County websites define the criteria.

Reactions: K-MTG
I am in Orang County, California. I had my done for $130.00, certified electrician; he had done so many Tesla, he even had some cool Tesla stickers made. With all the electricians that Tesla suggested in the area charges around $300.
How I did it? www.Google.com reach for electrician near me. Then, get a phone and start calling...
Hi, I'm near the OC area. Can you PM the electrician you used. The Tesla list is a ripoff. Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
Ours was a simple NEMA 14-50 installation. The plug was to be installed on the wall just behind the breaker panel. Contacted the Tesla recommended electricians and got quotes ranging from $650 to $900.

Contacted a local, North County San Diego electrician who completed the job for $250, plus the City permit fee.

Please PM me if you would like a referral.
Hello Micah, I live in North County San Diego and will be soon be taking delivery of a Model 3. Can you please let me know the name of the North County San Diego electrician who installed your NEMA 14-50? Thank you!

I found mine through angieslist.com. Get quotes from a few and don’t be shy to let them know you are shopping around for best price.

I installed a wall mounted charger. So I had to disclose as there are instructions they need to look at plus they will see it while installing. Was able to get that installed and a 14-30 outlet installed (for free). Initially wanted 300 for the 14-30 outlet. But got the whole thing for 600. Just got to let them know you are calling a few places.

I am in portland area.

My have a standard 2.5 car garage. electric panel is on the right side of the wall when walking to the garage, I need it to be installed on the other side of the wall for easy access to the car's charging port.

The both tesla recommonded electricians quoted me 1000+ for the job, one is $800+200 permit, another is $900-1100+$200 permit. I read the tesla forum people saying any electrician quoting over $400 is a rip off, but how to find a inexpensive electrician?

Thanks