Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get an Ulez for London?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that congestion charge and ULEZ are 2 separate charges in Central London. While your car may be determined as exempt from ULEZ, you will need to apply for exemption from congestion charge.(£10 fee) and need to upload V5C and it takes 10 days for them to approve. I am still waiting for my approval. If you do drive in Central London before applying for exemption you will be charged for the days till it is approved and it is not refundable.

I can understand that.
So go to this website and enter your details - be sure to select non-UK as country of registration.
That will take you to another page and buried in there is the link that I submitted earlier!
Thank you so much for this link! I was trying for hours to register an account on the Tfl site (must have paid 10x £ 0,01) only to get "The Capita CCRS BizTalk service returned an error" every time. I now registered my Tesla with EPC plc and the application is pending.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Thank you so much for this link! I was trying for hours to register an account on the Tfl site (must have paid 10x £ 0,01) only to get "The Capita CCRS BizTalk service returned an error" every time. I now registered my Tesla with EPC plc and the application is pending.

As per the post above yours, don't forget that the Congestion Charge is different, and to be honest more important as that is the one most likely to charge you for not obtaining an exemption...

Can't believe they will ever catch up with you if you do no paperwork at all. You might not want to take that as gospel though ...

All foreigners can use the QEII bridge without paying any tolls, because we are too lazy to build any means of collecting tolls from foreign vehicles. Something like £200 million a year in unpaid (foreign vehicle) fines that we just let happen ...

Same with the NHS ... help yourself ... apparently its far too expensive to bother to collect your money (despite the fact that everywhere else I travel in the world I need health insurance to be able to pay any medical cost whilst I am there ...)

Virtually none of that is true.

Can't believe they will ever catch up with you if you do no paperwork at all. You might not want to take that as gospel though ..
When I lived in Germany, I brought a German registered Prius to London - I was unaware of the need to register and had not registered the car with TfL. I subsequently received a fine in the post, to my German address - it was even written in German.

I think you may be getting the ULEZ and Congestion Charge mixed.

ULEZ says that you don't need to register as a foreign vehicle unless your car doesn't meet the requirements (which, being a Tesla, yours clearly meets the requirements) Find out if you need to register

Congestion Charge applies to everyone however exceptions are made for "clean vehicles". This is the one worth registering for via TFL as it will save you the daily charge. The document must clearly show that the vehicle: "Is registered as fuel type 'electric'" You can apply for this here: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/cc-cvd-before-you-begin?sourceRoutingKey=discounts-and-exemptions You need to set up. a user account (free - make sure you click enter address manually to put in your non UK address), and then there's a £10 charge to register the car. If you're going into the zone more than once then it's worth it.

Thanks for clarifying the difference between ULEZ and Congestion Charge. Seems I need both though. Your link leads to a "Check your vehicle" page for which my results are: "If you believe your vehicle meets the standards, you will need to register it with us."

Which I tried to do with EPC plc but my application was denied because I did not submit proof regarding the EUROCLASS of my vehicle. Duh, it has no EUROCLASS because it is an electric car.

Screenshot 2020-02-08 16.30.10.png

For the Congestion Charge the Tfl site always says "The Capita CCRS BizTalk service returned an error" no matter what details I enter to create an account. So no joy there either.

Screenshot 2020-02-08 16.38.02.png

I did the same type of registration for Paris last year and it was just a breeze. Upload a copy of my registration and receive a sticker in the mail. Why does London make this so incredibly hard?

I was finally able to register with Tfl by giving them my UK B&B address. It would not accept my 100% correct address in The Netherlands that I entered manually. After creating my account I was able to submit my proof for exemption for the Congestion Charge and ULEZ. Registering with EPC plc seems redundant now because they handle ULEZ and LEZ only. I paid the £10 to avoid the £12.50 charge, and now we wait for the results..

Am I correct to think you have to pay £10 every year for the Congestion Charge waiver? If so, what a con!
Especially as, for the ULEZ, TFL automatically deduce that your car is electric from the registration and by looking up the DVLA records - they could do the same for the Congestion Charge. They £10 annual registration is just a money making scheme. They also hide the renewal section on the website and even when you have successfully registered, the text of website implies that you still have to pay the congestion charge.

Reactions: drewpost
Especially as, for the ULEZ, TFL automatically deduce that your car is electric from the registration and by looking up the DVLA records - they could do the same for the Congestion Charge. They £10 annual registration is just a money making scheme. They also hide the renewal section on the website and even when you have successfully registered, the text of website implies that you still have to pay the congestion charge.

The way the congestion charge is set up is simple - everyone pays the congestion charge unless they are registered with some sort of exemption or rebate.
At the moment there is a 100% rebate for EVs that are registered with them.
It's not there forever though.

This is getting quite ridiculous. I just received this E-mail:

Dear EPC Web Account Holder,

Thank you for registering with EPC.

The document you uploaded does not confirm relevant details, or it does not match. Please make sure to upload the vehicle registration document, which confirms that the vehicle is an electric car. In most countries this information is provided on that document. In case it is not, an additional document is probably needed.

Yours faithfully,

EPC Customer Services

I sent them my standardised 52012PC0164 Registration Certificate where the fuel type is listed under "P.3":

Screenshot 2020-02-13 20.59.00.png
The whole idea behind the standardised registration certificate is so that all countries can look up the data they need under the standardised code. What more proof do they need?

To make things even more confusing, Tfl approved my car to receive a "100% discount from Congestion Charge". That's awesome, only why does their website still say "CC Shouldbe paid" !? Did I get the 100% discount or not!?

Screenshot 2020-02-13 22.19.57.png Screenshot 2020-02-13 22.18.04.png

And how can you get 100% CC discount but still need to pay the ULEZ charge!?

This is getting quite ridiculous. I just received this E-mail:

I sent them my standardised 52012PC0164 Registration Certificate where the fuel type is listed under "P.3":

View attachment 510853
The whole idea behind the standardised registration certificate is so that all countries can look up the data they need under the standardised code. What more proof do they need?

Who is EPC and how are they involved? AFAIK, you should only be dealing with TfL (Transport for London). You setup a personal account with TfL and add your car details to that account. That should handle both ULEZ (vehicles better than Euro6 are exempt) and the Congestion Charge (EVs currently get a 100% discount).

To make things even more confusing, Tfl approved my car to receive a "100% discount from Congestion Charge". That's awesome, only why does their website still say "CC Shouldbe paid" !? Did I get the 100% discount or not!?

View attachment 510886 View attachment 510885

And how can you get 100% CC discount but still need to pay the ULEZ charge!?

That appears to be wrong - you should probably contact TfL, to get the ULEZ status corrected.

Who is EPC and how are they involved?
If you go to Check your vehicle and enter a non-UK car registration number the following appears:
Screenshot 2020-02-14 17.16.05.png
Non-UK registered vehicles must be registered through our partner, EPCplc.

That appears to be wrong - you should probably contact TfL, to get the ULEZ status corrected.
That's what I have been trying to do for weeks now. Sigh. I'll try this one last time.. otherwise I guess I'll see them in court or something.