Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get epoxy off my Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a LOT of water in a tail light on my 2021 LRMY. Put in a service ticket and mobile guy came out to replace it. As he was leaving he rang the doorbell and said that while he was pulling the light out, it broke the plastic clips on the reflector next to the tail light (the peice that on one side is the charge port cover, but on the other side) because it was cold, so he epoxy-ed it back in and would put in a service ticket to come back and replace it. New appointment was created, but when I washed my car I noticed that there’s epoxy smears on the paint that won’t come off with just soap…

So! Anyone know how to get epoxy off exterior paint? Or do I note in the service ticket that it’s on there? I don’t want to get the guy in trouble and I also don’t want to wait a month for him to come to get the epoxy off, but…

Attachments

• 9C4F515E-2A78-4473-ACCD-6EE3A87F6B16.jpeg
    9C4F515E-2A78-4473-ACCD-6EE3A87F6B16.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 118
If those are actual mixed epoxy, you'll need to buff them off. Probably best to call the service center and have them do it since its their fault.

If it's just a smear of an unmixed resin or hardener, it's just a thick liquid and elbow grease and a few rags should be enough. Don't use solvents.

Reactions: MMurrayGA
Upvote 0
It really depends on the formulation... Most things that dissolve epoxies (paint thinners, solvents, acetone, etc) will also wreck your paint/ clear coat. Isopropyl alcohol used sparingly MAY be paint-safe, but I'd be really careful.

If you are lucky, it may be a more "rubbery" formulation that will peel or rub off... Better than needing to use chemicals. If you are unlucky, it's bonded and will need to be sanded down and the panel resprayed.

I wouldn't worry about "getting the guy in trouble". While a noble thought, they need to be responsible for mistakes. Maybe this was the person's only screw-up, and it won't impact them. Or, maybe they make LOTS of mistakes, and shouldn't be fixing cars...

You're better off letting THEM take ownership of the issue. If YOU make a further mess of it, they probably will not fix the compounded issue.

Just my 2 cents, as a stranger on the internet. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to highjack this tread, but tagged for results/solutions.
I have similar issues on the body (not sure what's it's from) and the was delivered 3 days ago. I tried to clean/wipe but I think it's gotten worse.
Note* it's not as bad as it seems in the pictures, I think the lights are hitting it spot on, but even without the lights, it's definitely noticeable.
There are spots like this on the other side too, but this spot is the worst. Any tips?
2.jpg
1.jpg

Upvote 0
No joke… the guy came out and said “no problem!” And pulled out a jug of Acetone, put a little bit on a microfiber cloth and just wiped it down gently. He said it may look dull because it’s removing the epoxy, but also the layer of wax but you won’t notice after the next time we wax it. I couldn’t tell the difference between the rest of the car and the jacked up section when he was done.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to highjack this tread, but tagged for results/solutions.
I have similar issues on the body (not sure what's it's from) and the was delivered 3 days ago. I tried to clean/wipe but I think it's gotten worse.
Note* it's not as bad as it seems in the pictures, I think the lights are hitting it spot on, but even without the lights, it's definitely noticeable.
There are spots like this on the other side too, but this spot is the worst. Any tips?
View attachment 744256View attachment 744255
Odd you’re only three days in, can you take it to the delivery center and see if they can help? I don’t really know how that works.

Upvote 0