TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

How do I get my rooftop tent (Tepui) atop a Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by AudubonB, May 13, 2016.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator

Mar 24, 2013
    Denali Highway, Alaska
    I've been holding off on confirming my longstanding Model X order for several reasons; I've been trying to whittle down the number of such reasons.

But here's one I need some help on: has anyone insight as to how...whether....a Model X practically can accommodate a rooftop tent? Our Tepui can fit atop quite a number of our vehicles, but it would be terrific if a Model X also could make it happen.

Some kind of horizontal rack-slider so that the tent could be above only one of the FWDs, perhaps? But that in itself is asking an awful lot of a normally simple, and stupid, roof rack...

Any help?
  2. grommet

grommet Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Silicon Valley, CA
    You are likely on your own. Feel free to experiment with suction cup based mounts, but the Model X really isn't designed for this type of utility.
  3. swesson

swesson Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    Cool concept! I don't know why it wouldn't work, but you would lose side access to both fwd's while the tent was installed.