Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get rid of Teslafi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah TeslaFi definitely doesn’t cause range loss like that (if sleep is on).

What does cause the range loss is either sentry on or the new “summon standby”. If this just started happening in the last month, check your summon settings. So dumb summon standby was on by default.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Yeah TeslaFi definitely doesn’t cause range loss like that (if sleep is on).

What does cause the range loss is either sentry on or the new “summon standby”. If this just started happening in the last month, check your summon settings. So dumb summon standby was on by default.
where do I find that in the app.....I can't see where to turn off

Car will not heat battery unless battery is below -7C if car is unplugged. If the the car is plugged in then it's below 10C. This is visible on the canbus/obd2. It's much higher when plugged into a supercharger.

Edit: You'll see the snowflake loss, even before the snowflake. There's just a point past which the icon will come up, but it'll affect range before that. You'll see that as percentage won't go down but rated miles will.

Edit 2: From my experience that -7C heating when unplugged is only when car is on/in drive. If parked it won't even do that much. (If car is plugged in it's a different matter).

what’s your source for this information?

what’s your source for this information?
Scan my Tesla app with obd2 adapter.

See target bat numbers below. This is with the car unplugged. Plugged in/charging the -7C will go to about 10C.
Screenshot_20191117-130512.png

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc
Scan my Tesla app with obd2 adapter.

See target bat numbers below. This is with the car unplugged. Plugged in/charging the -7C will go to about 10C.
View attachment 478005

Good information but still lines up with my experiences where the car will lose battery very quickly when temps drop into the teens and this lose is not fictitious loss with the snowflake icon where the range is recouped as the battery warms up.

Good information but still lines up with my experiences where the car will lose battery very quickly when temps drop into the teens and this lose is not fictitious loss with the snowflake icon where the range is recouped as the battery warms up.

I'll keep monitoring it. But I have never yet had a sizeable loss that was not snowflake related while parked. Even in the frigid cold (battery colder than -7C) battery heating will only occur while in drive and/or charging/plugged in.

Looking back I parked one of the coldest nights at 36% and 157.5 km range at -15C and the next day had 36% and 151km range at -19C 10 hours later.

My first drive had battery heating and was about 780wh/mile for a 3 mile drive. And my drive after that 500wh/mile for a 19 mile drive immediately after.

Edit: another night at -20C went from 444km at 90% the to 433 at 90%.

I'll keep monitoring it. But I have never yet had a sizeable loss that was not snowflake related while parked. Even in the frigid cold (battery colder than -7C) battery heating will only occur while in drive and/or charging/plugged in.

Looking back I parked one of the coldest nights at 36% and 157.5 km range at -15C and the next day had 36% and 151km range at -19C 10 hours later.

My first drive had battery heating and was about 780wh/mile for a 3 mile drive. And my drive after that 500wh/mile for a 19 mile drive immediately after.

Edit: another night at -20C went from 444km at 90% the to 433 at 90%.

There are a few lengthy threads on this subject and I'm pretty sure that it is definitive that the car will warm the battery (plugged in or not) when it gets cold enough in order to prevent permanent battery damage. It is extremely harmful to lithium ion batteries to allow the to get to temperatures substantially below freezing.

There are a few lengthy threads on this subject and I'm pretty sure that it is definitive that the car will warm the battery (plugged in or not) when it gets cold enough in order to prevent permanent battery damage. It is extremely harmful to lithium ion batteries to allow the to get to temperatures substantially below freezing.

Maybe I haven't left my car outside long enough to see it. But I have seen no evidence of any electric car heating the battery while parked and not plugged in. Would definitely be interested in any threads that show such evidence.

Battery heating is about 7kw now so 10 hours of battery heating would kill the battery. But people have left cars out in the winter for 30 frigid days and not lost their full battery.

Tesla manual says not to leave the car outside in -40f/c or colder. I think that's probably when you'd get damage.

Last edited:
One example is the Chevy bolt if too cold will refuse to start with a too cold to start message. So we know they're probably not heating the battery while unplugged. But if you read forum posts almost everyone is sure they do.

I'll check this winter to see how cold the battery gets but -20C (-4f) is about as cold as it gets here so I might not see the trigger for it even if there is battery warming.