Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get the web browser to recognise I'm in the UK? Want to watch BBC iPlayer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you banned to the car to watch the football?

If you join the car to your Wifi then it will be in the UK, so I assume iPlayer would work? Or through a phone. Other than that according to the internet your car is in the Netherlands. It is poor, more people should complain to Tesla if they are paying £10 a month for connectivity. Elon says media and entertainment is a priority, yet they have broken UK specific content.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Are you banned to the car to watch the football?

If you join the car to your Wifi then it will be in the UK, so I assume iPlayer would work? Or through a phone. Other than that according to the internet your car is in the Netherlands. It is poor, more people should complain to Tesla if they are paying £10 a month for connectivity. Elon says media and entertainment is a priority, yet they have broken UK specific content.
On Tuesday I have to take the kids to athletics and will be waiting from 5-6pm so wanted to watch the first half in the car!
I have BT at home so guessing I could login to the BT open wifi - need to google how to do that in the car!

On Tuesday I have to take the kids to athletics and will be waiting from 5-6pm so wanted to watch the first half in the car!
I have BT at home so guessing I could login to the BT open wifi - need to google how to do that in the car!
I'd be surprised if you can login to BT open wifi directly from the car -- I believe you need a profile loaded on a mobile device to do that. But you can tether the car to a wifi hotspot generated by your mobile phone, so you should be able to achieve your goal.

Reactions: M3noob
Tesla fits their cars with European eSIM cards, which spend their time roaming across all of the networks. Your car will either have a Dutch or Spanish registered SIM in there, and that's why often you'll see Dutch adverts on YouTube for example. It also means though that iPlayer, ITV Hub etc see you as being outside of the UK.

The only option for this at the moment is to turn-on your phone's WiFi hotspot, and then connect your car to it. This unfortunately will then use data from your phone contract (obviously), but at least will mean that the car gets a UK IP address.

yup, I have to use my phone as a hotspot. Also worth noting is (unless something has changed) the only way to get web pages full screen is to effectively "hack" the youtube app, as it's just the web browser. So if you open it then click into the youtube help you can get onto a google help page, then if you search for "search" or something like that it tells you about using google to search with a link that gets you onto google search.

yup, I have to use my phone as a hotspot. Also worth noting is (unless something has changed) the only way to get web pages full screen is to effectively "hack" the youtube app, as it's just the web browser. So if you open it then click into the youtube help you can get onto a google help page, then if you search for "search" or something like that it tells you about using google to search with a link that gets you onto google search.
the other hack to get full screen in the browser is goto Tesla TV UK. (@James-R10 has now got back up and running see this thread ), along side useful links to UK TV on demand offerings there is an option to expand to full screen :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I tether the phone wifi to the car?
if you have a iphone with the latest ios then on the iphone :-
  1. Go to Settings > Personal Hotspot.
  2. Tap the slider next to Allow Others to Join.
(don't have an android so don't know the equivalent setting to enable on an Android phone)

Then on Tesla screen in the car tap the LTE icon (Top left on screen), this should then list all the discoverable Wireless networks, one should be the name of your iphone, select that, if you have password protected the WiFi hotspot on your phone, then enter the password and the car will then be tethered to your mobile. The LTE symbol (Top left) will have changed to a Wireless symbol to let you know you are connected to a WiFi signal.

when I try the app still got the problem that iplayer is out of country and for ITV it says "Sorry! We no longer support this browser"

that would be the expected behaviour if you have not joined to a WiFi network from inside the car before browsing to iplayer, as you are still browsing using the Tesla eSIM (based in holland/Spain). In regards ITV player that is not a WiFi/LTE issue just ITV doesn't support the cars inbuilt browser.

Reactions: Sootica
if you have a iphone with the latest ios then on the iphone :-
  1. Go to Settings > Personal Hotspot.
  2. Tap the slider next to Allow Others to Join.
(don't have an android so don't know the equivalent setting to enable on an Android phone)

Then on Tesla screen in the car tap the LTE icon (Top left on screen), this should then list all the discoverable Wireless networks, one should be the name of your iphone, select that, if you have password protected the WiFi hotspot on your phone, then enter the password and the car will then be tethered to your mobile. The LTE symbol (Top left) will have changed to a Wireless symbol to let you know you are connected to a WiFi signal.

that would be the expected behaviour if you have not joined to a WiFi network from inside the car before browsing to iplayer, as you are still browsing using the Tesla eSIM (based in holland/Spain). In regards ITV player that is not a WiFi/LTE issue just ITV doesn't support the cars inbuilt browser.
Thanks, just tested it and got iplayer working - I can watch the first half!

So, yesterday while I had time to kill in a hospital car park, I tethered my phone and tried to watch Wimbledon in the car. Dismal failure! My provider sent sent me texts to say my data use had just maxed out and my £5 safety buffer had been reached.
In my wrath I have joined Twitter (something I vowed never to bother with!) and have tweeted Elon to give us Brits a UK VPN so that premium connectivity really is just that.
I doubt it was worth the effort, but who knows. Having to bugger about with workarounds for something that should work really, really annoys me :mad:

Reactions: Sootica and M3noob
I don’t think it’ll go anywhere, to be honest :(

Tesla aren’t to blame for the localisation restrictions of a specific website so I doubt they’ll be particularly motivated to change how they handle these eSIMs, at whatever additional cost to them to provide UK based ones.

It really is just easier to get a contract that allows a decent amount of data and tether your phone for the rare occasions that you want to use stuff like iPlayer.

Reactions: DrivenRay

Tesla aren’t to blame for the localisation restrictions of a specific website so I doubt they’ll be particularly motivated to change how they handle these eSIMs, at whatever additional cost to them to provide UK based ones.

It really is just easier to get a contract that allows a decent amount of data and tether your phone for the rare occasions that you want to use stuff like iPlayer.
I quite agree but It’s the principle. I doubt our friends in the states would be to too chuffed if they couldn’t watch Super Bowl because of a Mexican SIM!
plus. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

I disagree. It's piss poor to use a Dutch VPN just because that's where their European base is.

Netflix only gets the Dutch version. If something isn't available on Netherlands Netflix that is on the UK version then its a justifiable gripe.

They don't include iPlayer in their Theatre so they can claim it isn't a supported service.

And whilst not related to the e-SIM YouTube users can't login without a workaround either.

Other than Spotify being flawless, Premium Connectivity is not worth the £9.99 per month.