Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get this behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want it to charge from Surplus Solar try making the late morning and early afternoon before the Peak a Shoulder period. ie. end the Off-Peak at around 10am.

Or try Balanced mode. I find that Balanced mode does a reasonable job of choosing All Solar vs. Surplus solar so that it gets fully charged just before the end of the Off-Peak at 3pm. I am on PG&E EV2 that has Part-Peak from 3pm-12mid and Peak 4-9pm. I am on NEM 1.0 so I don't pay NBCs. How fast it charges in the morning is immaterial to me since charging faster and letting it export some during Off-Peak is all the same to me.

In the end, Tesla can only further optimize things if they allow the users to put in prices for import and export for each time period. For NBCs you would decrease the export credit by the amount of the NBCs.

Since I am exporting to the grid during off peak (battery reaches 100% hours before the peak period starts), this means unnecessary grid usage during off peak (and non-bypassable charges).

?? You are using from the grid while the battery charges. Is that what you don't like? As I said in an earlier post, if your battery does not charge enough to make it 100% thru Peak, you will incur Peak charges from the grid. That is way worse than NBCs.