Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I keep the car on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get out of the Model S with my wife and kid still being inside it and even if I leave the key in the car, the car still turns off. So even the sound system and heater are turned off. Is there a way to leave the car on when I am not in the car?

If you have the new 8.0 firmware it should stay on as long as the front passengers seat belt is buckled. Otherwise just tell them to tap on the screen once you get out to turn things back on.

When I get out of the Model S with my wife and kid still being inside it and even if I leave the key in the car, the car still turns off. So even the sound system and heater are turned off. Is there a way to leave the car on when I am not in the car?

Another option that I sometimes use in this scenario is to close the driver door just to the first latch, not all the way closed. Hope that makes sense.

Take the key, or leave the key, step on the brake before closing the driver door.

This is the method I use - my mailbox is part of a stack at the end of a rural road. At night, I want to stop, leave the lights on and the right turn signal. Stepping on the brake is perfect. Otherwise, the turn signal stops immediately when I get out, and the head/tail lights time out 30 (45?) seconds later leaving it an unlit hazard on the side of the road.