Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I keep the doors unlocked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not you, now we just wonder if Tesla is crazy for changing this behaviour !?!

Why would they remove the "keeping the car unlocked" feature??

This is a bug that must be fixed. It is unsafe to assume the car "wants to be locked" after user has explicitly "unlocked the car" using the remote fob. It shall remain unlocked, with or without the fob being nearby. It's that simple.

Is the only way to prevent the car from auto-re-locking after remote unlock command to turn off the "lock after walking away" feature? Anybody tried and can comment on that... before I go an try myself tonight in the garage .. ?

I tested my "stay unlocked by double clicking fob roof".

It still works.

I tested my "stay unlocked by double clicking fob roof".

It still works.
That doesn't work for me either. It will stay unlocked if I unlock it from the phone only after the fob is moved away from the car. No matter how I unlock it, it will lock up once the fob leaves the area.

I try to remember to pull up the app after I get into my house with my fob. It is a first-world irritant to get my fob out of my purse so it will unlock the charge port since the fob needs to be close to the front of the car for it to automatically unlock with the door.

I think most of us want our vehicles to remain unlocked in our locked garages, it should be easy to enable a setting that turns auto-lock off based on location. It should be simpler than programming Homelink actions. For the times we want the auto-lock to remain on (e.g. in the driveway, on the street outside of the garage), the skip option can pop up.

That doesn't work for me either. It will stay unlocked if I unlock it from the phone only after the fob is moved away from the car. No matter how I unlock it, it will lock up once the fob leaves the area.

Even this doesn't work for me. No matter how I unlock it it will relock even if the fob is ALREADY away from the car and I unlock it with the app.

Even this doesn't work for me. No matter how I unlock it it will relock even if the fob is ALREADY away from the car and I unlock it with the app.
Totally agree! This problem just started today with the latest 8.1 update for me, however. I've unlocked it 3 times this evening and when I open the app after a bit, it is locked again.

Time to report this bug to Tesla.

Tesla responded to my bug report. They don't see it as a bug but a safety feature. They took my request as input to the developers but unless more people report it, I won't expect it to be changed. it is really important to report it to Tesla directly as they may not pay much attention to threads here.

Reactions: Buddy
cut and paste yourself a note, I just sent this in
(update the version number and other particulars to suit your car)

to: [email protected]

After the most recent software update for my car, now sitting at 8.1 version 17.11.10
(Non-autopilot car)

The car has changed its locking behavior and creates inconvenience.

Previously, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car would unlock and stay unlocked (as desired).
Now, after a double-press on keyfob rooftop the car unlocks but relocks itself after a minute.

IF the changed locking behavior was an intentional design change please reconsider.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Beryl