TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do I know how much tax liability I have to qualify for rebates?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 1tsla, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Is there an easy way to look at my previous tax returns to see if I have enough tax liability to qualify for the rebates?

2. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Did you owe tax last year?

• Funny x 1
  3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Look at your 1040 and line 63. If you total federal tax liability is greater than $7500 then you will get the full $7500 credit, if it is less, the you will receive a credit up to that amount. If you withheld enough taxes during the year equal or greater to line 63 (you're expecting a refund) then that $7500 credit will be added to your refund check.

• Informative x 1
  4. 1tsla

1tsla Member

No, I received a refund.

Great! this is what I needed. Yes, line 63 shows way more than $7500. So I don't have to necessarily owe taxes each year as long as my tax on line 63 is greater than the credit correct?

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

That is correct. Whether you had to pay or received a refund at the end of the year means nothing to the eligibility of the $7500 credit.

If you owe $8000 at the end of the year the $7500 credit will reduce that tax bill down to $500. If you were expecting a refund of $1000 and your line 63 is greater than $7500, then your tax refund will be $8500.

• Informative x 1
  6. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Thank you so much shokunin for the quick replies. The OA has the car on hold for me so it's a go!

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It has nothing to do with whether or not you received a refund. It has to do with to total tax owed for the year, regardless of whether or not it's been withheld, or paid as estimated taxes, or if you overpaid and are due a refund.

• Informative x 1
  8. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Thanks everyone! I know I could have eventually found the answer searching but I was in a hurry.

9. eyespii

eyespii Member

A tax refund just means you withheld more money from your paycheck than you actually ended up owing at the end of the year. It doesn't mean you didn't have to pay any taxes that year.