Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I link a phone to a driver profile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I both drive our MX. I would like to link her phone to her driver profile so that it has priority when she is driving, and the same for my phone with my driver profile. I checked the MX manual, and I see instructions for linking a key fob to the driver profile, but not a phone. Thanks.

My wife and I both drive our MX. I would like to link her phone to her driver profile so that it has priority when she is driving, and the same for my phone with my driver profile. I checked the MX manual, and I see instructions for linking a key fob to the driver profile, but not a phone. Thanks.
That will not be possible until the (refreshed) 2022s come out. This is part of the "phone as key" feature which does not exist today. You can give priority to one or the other phone to link to bluetooth, if both are in the car at the same time. But that is for media and phone capture only, not any functions related to the key.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
Since you have to carry the keyfob anyway, linking the keyfob is enough. And for BT, I just set priority to my wife's phone. If I am driving alone, her phone is not near, so it will connect to my phone. If we are both in the car, it doesn't matter who is driving, my wife has the command of the music and the direction of where the car is going... LOL.

Makes sense. The reason I was asking about this is that I'm having an issue where calls get switched from my phone (in the house) to the MX when my wife gets in the car and drives out of the garage. On the Apple forums, someone suggested a setting in Accessibility that would prevent that from happening. Someone here suggested creating a driver profile for each of us with our phones set as priority devices to the profile—hence my question here. But I will just set her device as priority, as suggested, to prevent this issue from occurring. If we're both in the car, I can manually connect my phone (which has all of the music). I'd prefer that over having important work calls randomly transferred to the car when my wife is pulling out of the garage!

Reactions: Need
Makes sense. The reason I was asking about this is that I'm having an issue where calls get switched from my phone (in the house) to the MX when my wife gets in the car and drives out of the garage. On the Apple forums, someone suggested a setting in Accessibility that would prevent that from happening. Someone here suggested creating a driver profile for each of us with our phones set as priority devices to the profile—hence my question here. But I will just set her device as priority, as suggested, to prevent this issue from occurring. If we're both in the car, I can manually connect my phone (which has all of the music). I'd prefer that over having important work calls randomly transferred to the car when my wife is pulling out of the garage!
That's exactly what happened to me too. Except the audiobook on my phone would be playing when she starts the car, and I will lose the place in the audiobook. Bumped up her phone's priority and never happened again.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
The suggestion you're referring to here is the same priority button. Whoever suggested it either knows or incorrectly assumes that the priority device setting is stored per profile. If that individual is correct, you would switch to your wife's profile, set her device to priority, save, switch back to your profile, set your device as priority, save, and then switch back and forth to verify the setting changes back and forth based on the selected profile. I haven't tested this and couldn't tell you if the individual who made the suggestion is correct.

The suggestion you're referring to here is the same priority button. Whoever suggested it either knows or incorrectly assumes that the priority device setting is stored per profile. If that individual is correct, you would switch to your wife's profile, set her device to priority, save, switch back to your profile, set your device as priority, save, and then switch back and forth to verify the setting changes back and forth based on the selected profile. I haven't tested this and couldn't tell you if the individual who made the suggestion is correct.
I think that individual was me. I wasn't suggesting that BT priority is linked to profile. I don't think it is? But to make things easier for the wife, he should just set her device to have priority. She knows where he sleeps after all.... ;)

Reactions: mxnym