Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I lock the car, walk away, but leave internal systems (i.e. HVAC) running?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has to be written down somewhere... but I searched for 10 minutes and couldn't find it, so apologies if it should have been more obvious.

How do I put the car into what would be the equivalent of an ICE "accessory" mode? I basically want to be able to:

1) park the car
2) get out, lock the car, walk away WITH THE FOB
3) stay away an indefinite period of time
4) have the climate control and other internal accessories (radio, headlights, whatever) stay on

I'm most interested in a solution to allow me to leave perishable things (like pets!) in the car with the HVAC running... and while I realize I can set the climate control via the mobile app, I'm interested in general principle in some other way to leave all the other systems up and running.

This method worked on a older firmware version. I just tried it briefly on 5.9 and it still seems to work.

1. Depress brake, put car in neutral.
2. Using the touchscreen controls (not the shifter stalk), put the car in park. The drive indicator on the driver's display will still indicate neutral.
3. You can now leave the car, lock it, and the accessories and HVAC will stay on.

Warning...if the headlights are in auto, they will turn on when it gets dark and stay on...until the sun comes up again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...remember to turn the wipers off...if they are on auto they will start if it rains!

How do I lock the car, walk away, but leave internal systems (i.e. HVAC) runn...

Doesn't this open up a Pandora's box of "No, it's ok my pets are locked inside the car.. The A/C is running, so don't break my windows or call the cops" signs for the windows?

And hoping people read and understand them?

You can roll down the window, get out the car, shut the door, reach in and touch the display, then roll up the drivers window without opening the door (be sure to pull your arm out fast enough so it doesn't get caught in the window), and the display and AC will stay on because the car thinks someone is still in it. :wink:

You can roll down the window, get out the car, shut the door, reach in and touch the display, then roll up the drivers window without opening the door (be sure to pull your arm out fast enough so it doesn't get caught in the window), and the display and AC will stay on because the car thinks someone is still in it. :wink:

There is a set amount of time this will work but I think after that time the car will power off. This happened to me at the drive in movie theatre. I had to be in the car and use the neutral trick to keep all systems on for the duration of the movie.

I had a Rav4-EV and a LEAF that I took my old dog everywhere in. I had the same type of sign that I would put in the front seat. I only had one lady track me down in a panic about the dog. I thanked her for her concern, went out to show her how cool the car was inside, but she was still upset about it. I told her that the dog was much safer in the car with A/C running (and a phone message if something caused it to stop) then he would be if he were locked in my house and it caught fire. Dark window tint in the rear of the LEAF stopped any further concern about the dog. Unfortunately, the 15+ year old dog didn't last long enough (natural causes - not roasted) to enjoy the big back seat of the Tesla.

Could the car be driven away by someone without a FOB if using the Neutral trick?

Yes, if they gained access into your car. But that's not likely since it's locked while you're away with the FOB. Hypothetically speaking though, yes; The FOB only needs to be present to start the vehicle. Once running it no longer needs the FOB present to change driving states. I know an MS owner who was showing his MS to a friend, and drove away while his friend still had the FOB in his pocket (accidentally)--he learned that the MS will run until the driver gets out and the vehicle powers down. Unfortunately for him, that was 22 miles away. At that point, it's time to call a friend to bring you your FOB. :cursing:

Seems like a lot of stuff going on here.

Simply get out of the car and make sure the doors are locked.

Open the app on your smartphone.

Go to climate, put in the temp and walk away. Nothing else to worry about. (just make sure your car has remote access turned on) works every time.