Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Do I look Up Part Numbers ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im trying to determine if a 2021 hitch and wire harness would also fit a 2020. I have this question for both OEM and non-OEM hitch and harness.

Right now, Uhaul has a great price $225 on a hitch + $100 for a harness but they keep telling me its ONLY for 2021 not 2020. I dont know why that would be.

So I thought maybe i can look up part numbers for the tail lights, harness, rear bumper structure, ect ... and just see if they are same from the model years or VIN splits. I know all about Tesla catalog but that doesnt seem to list specific model years (unless there are no changes for any Y).

For instance, if you look up the Model Y rear tail lights, there is no Vin listed and there is only 1 part number for each tail light... but I did have to log into that catalog so I wonder if its only showing me my 2020 model Y parts or would it show all ?

Last edited:
Im trying to determine if a 2021 hitch and wire harness would also fit a 2020. I have this question for both OEM and non-OEM hitch and harness.

Right now, Uhaul has a great price $225 on a hitch + $100 for a harness but they keep telling me its ONLY for 2021 not 2020. I dont know why that would be.

So I thought maybe i can look up part numbers for the tail lights, harness, rear bumper structure, ect ... and just see if they are same from the model years or VIN splits. I know all about Tesla catalog but that doesnt seem to list specific model years (unless there are no changes for any Y).

For instance, if you look up the Model Y rear tail lights, there is no Vin listed and there is only 1 part number for each tail light... but I did have to log into that catalog so I wonder if its only showing me my 2020 model Y parts or would it show all ?
It would show all. Nothing about the Tesla factory tow hitch has changed to my knowledge.

You are looking at 3rd party, so who knows.

Last edited:
It would show all. Nothing about the Tesla factory tow hitch has changed to my knowledge.

You are looking at 3rd party, so who knows.
Yeah I can’t find anything that has changed either. The bumper cover, tail lights, crash bar all the same for all model Y. Pls correct me if I’m wrong here but I don’t get why most aftermarket hitch and wiring harness (except for eco hitch) all list as NOT applicable to 2020 but are applicable to 2021. Males no sense …

I’m trying to save about $1k here and a tow hitch is a tow hitch. It’s hidden behind the bumper 99% of the time and I can live with the wire harness being fastened to the hitch when not in use. I actually prefer that since it will reach back to trailer easier. And I will also retain AP, which is a very big deal.

only downside is the rear sensors may show the trailer (or bike rack) but from what I’m reading that’s not a big deal just a red line appears.

I just don’t Wana get into all this and find it won’t fit for some odd reason… also sell the oem crash bar for a few hundred as well, the hitch will be nearly free (minus my labor of course )

Yeah I can’t find anything that has changed either. The bumper cover, tail lights, crash bar all the same for all model Y. Pls correct me if I’m wrong here but I don’t get why most aftermarket hitch and wiring harness (except for eco hitch) all list as NOT applicable to 2020 but are applicable to 2021. Males no sense …

I’m trying to save about $1k here and a tow hitch is a tow hitch. It’s hidden behind the bumper 99% of the time and I can live with the wire harness being fastened to the hitch when not in use. I actually prefer that since it will reach back to trailer easier. And I will also retain AP, which is a very big deal.

only downside is the rear sensors may show the trailer (or bike rack) but from what I’m reading that’s not a big deal just a red line appears.

I just don’t Wana get into all this and find it won’t fit for some odd reason… also sell the oem crash bar for a few hundred as well, the hitch will be nearly free (minus my labor of course )
In addition to the red lines, you get a beeping that sounds like a truck backing up. Doesn't bother me though. I rarely put it in tow mode.

In addition to the red lines, you get a beeping that sounds like a truck backing up. Doesn't bother me though. I rarely put it in tow mode.
Wait you get a beeping ALL time ? Or just when driving in reverse ??

Tesla just replied to my text and confirmed 2020 and 2021 are identical for hitch in every way. Not sure why drawtite saying theirs only fits 2021 ...

Wait you get a beeping ALL time ? Or just when driving in reverse ??

Tesla just replied to my text and confirmed 2020 and 2021 are identical for hitch in every way. Not sure why drawtite saying theirs only fits 2021 ...
When I'm backing up. I believe I get the red lines at the butt of the car all the time but the beeping only when backing up. I'm guessing the red liens are telling you normally that something is too close although you probably can't do anything about a tailgater. I assume the beeping is telling me I'm about to back in to something.