Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I open the driver/passenger door with the FOB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every other FOB function works fine. Trunk, Frunk, Falcon doors...all good. Every thing I read or watch about the Model X FOB shows double clicking the top of the FOB to open the driver door, then again to open the passenger door. Triple click to close all.

Triple click to close works, but double-clicking the top of the FOB with all doors closed only locks the car. I checked the settings in the UI and tried both FOB "close-all" settings (single click and triple click), and neither allows me to open the driver or passenger door on a double click.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Every other FOB function works fine. Trunk, Frunk, Falcon doors...all good. Every thing I read or watch about the Model X FOB shows double clicking the top of the FOB to open the driver door, then again to open the passenger door. Triple click to close all.

Triple click to close works, but double-clicking the top of the FOB with all doors closed only locks the car. I checked the settings in the UI and tried both FOB "close-all" settings (single click and triple click), and neither allows me to open the driver or passenger door on a double click.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Do you have the automatic doors option turned off? If yes, it won't work.

Do you have the automatic doors option turned off? If yes, it won't work.
Wait, so there's no way to open the driver door with the FOB, unless I turn on the option that opens the door automatically when I walk up to it?

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of being able to use the FOB, if the door already opens automatically when I walk up to it?

This makes zero sense.

Reactions: njhtran
From the manual:

Double-click to unlock. Hazard
warning lights flash twice.
Note: If Model X is equipped with the
premium upgrades package and
Automatic Doors is enabled (touch
Controls > Vehicle > Automatic
Doors), doors unlock and the driver's
door opens as you approach Model X.
A subsequent double-click opens the
passenger front door.

Wait, so there's no way to open the driver door with the FOB, unless I turn on the option that opens the door automatically when I walk up to it?
Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of being able to use the FOB, if the door already opens automatically when I walk up to it?
This makes zero sense.

I didn't say it made sense. But that is how it works.

This makes zero sense.
Automatic Doors allows you to open unlocked doors without the door buttons. Passive entry makes the doors unlock automatically. Turn on Automatic Doors and turn off Passive Entry. The vehicle will not unlock until you use the fob to open something, but the driver door will then open automatically when you are close enough to it even if you have opened FWD vs double-clicking top.

I didn't say it made sense. But that is how it works.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

It seems ridiculous that these 2 features are married together. I can't open the door with the FOB unless I have an automatic door opening, which results in the driver door popping open anytime I walk by in my garage.

Oh well.

I am not sure what it is you are looking to do. Are you looking for a button on the fob to have the driver door pop open? Not sure that can be done. FOB unlocks the driver door when you walk up, but you need to touch the actuator to get it to pop open UNLESS you have the automatic door opening turned on, in which case it not only unlocks but pops open. With those options, I am not sure when you would need to open the door directly from the FOB.

With these options you can get the driver door open one way or another without having to touch the FOB.

Perhaps you should reread this post, Automatic Doors DOES lead to the driver door opening when you walk up to it AND it is unlocked, but the door DOESN'T have to be unlocked by you walking up to it.
I don't want it to open automatically based on proximity at all. I just wanted to press a button on the FOB to open it.

The post refers to disabling "Passive Entry" which I did not see in my options. I guess I will need to double check.

But it may be moot if I prefer to keep the car unlocked in my garage.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I don't want it to open automatically based on proximity at all. I just wanted to press a button on the FOB to open it.

The post refers to disabling "Passive Entry" which I did not see in my options. I guess I will need to double check.

But it may be moot if I prefer to keep the car unlocked in my garage.
I understand. In addition to only opening the driver door with the fob, I would love to be able to open the passenger door without opening the driver door. However, I don't see these changes happening even though they are only software. I don't use the FWD or even have a front passenger very often, so I seldom have to worry about the driver door opening when I don't want it to, but that's beside the point. In your case, if you want to leave it unlocked at home, then yeah, all moot.

"Passive Entry" is a Security setting, so it's on a different screen than the "Automatic Doors" setting. One added benefit of this setting is that the vehicle can't be started with a relay attack because the vehicle will only start within a reasonable amount of time after an unlock is triggered by the fob (the fob still has to be in the vehicle for it to start, but while a relay attack can simulate a key in the vehicle, it can't simulate the unlock signal to allow the vehicle to start). I haven't tried leaving the vehicle unlocked at home, so YMMV in that scenario, but it shouldn't, as I can get out and back in and have to send the unlock signal to drive again without the vehicle having ever locked.