Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I opt-out of the FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was not terrible but the FSD Beta firmware introduced enough issues that affected Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) performance that it just was not worth the effort to continue. I realize NOA and FSD Beta are on separate stacks, however the issues noted on NOA operating through the FSD Beta firmware are not present when operating on production firmware. The issue with obstruction avoidance was noted while operating FSD Beta off highway on city streets. If the vehicle approaches an object (extended gate example) it has not been trained to recognize as a threat in the NN, it will not stop or avoid it. During my testing the vehicle would have driven right through the extended gate at 15 MPH without warning, slowing or stopping. With RADAR enabled, the vehicle alerts, and slows to a stop prior to impacting the gate. I sent several event snapshots to Tesla, so hopefully the NN will be trained on that type of gate. The question in my mind is what happens the next time it does not recognize an object as a threat? RADAR returns are not perfect but they provide a valid safety margin to vision only and are pretty hard to miss.

Reactions: JMonde
I just dropped out of the FSD Beta program after one year of participation. I am amazed how much more enjoyable my Model Y with RADAR is to drive on the current production firmware. No longer does the car hunt while lane keeping. It is now solid as a rock. No longer do I have sudden, unexpected, random speed changes on the freeway with a posted 75 MPH limit, changing 35 MPH and rapidly slowing. No longer do I have un-commanded lane changes that make no sense with the car moving out of the proper lane just to try and move back again. No longer does the car fail to observe obstructions like a common traffic gate and attempt to drive through it because the NN and Tesla Vision is not trained and constantly fails to recognize that common obstruction. These are just a few examples of many issues I have have observed with Tesla Vision. I have so much more confidence with RADAR and Tesla Vision providing forward collision warnings vs. Tesla Vision alone. My hope is Tesla returns to incorporating RADAR data input in all of its vehicles, to ensure protection against obstructions the NN may not be trained to recognize and will continue to maintain the smoothness and confidence building performance of the current production firmware.
I’m assuming you dropped out by emailing the FSD email address? How long between the time you sent the email and you got the software update to the public track?

I’m assuming you dropped out by emailing the FSD email address? How long between the time you sent the email and you got the software update to the public track?
It took about a day and a half for the Beta team to switch my car over to the production build. I received 3 updates in rapid succession and the vehicle is now completely updated to include the new North America navigation update.

• Informative
Reactions: CaptUAL
How did you know you were completely out of the beta program?
The vehicle notified there was an update available which was a production version (2022.16.3) and not FSD Beta related. After that update completed, and approximately two hours later another update appeared (2022.20.8) which is the current non FSD Beta production version. A few days later, the North America Navigation update downloaded (NA 2022.28-14046). So we are updated and good to go. Radar equipped so max speed on FSD is back to 90 MPH, minimum NoA following distance is back to 1 car length, Auto headlights no longer required while on NoA and Radar active confirmed in Service Menu.

• Informative
The vehicle notified there was an update available which was a production version (2022.16.3) and not FSD Beta related. After that update completed, and approximately two hours later another update appeared (2022.20.8) which is the current non FSD Beta production version. A few days later, the North America Navigation update downloaded (NA 2022.28-14046). So we are updated and good to go. Radar equipped so max speed on FSD is back to 90 MPH, minimum NoA following distance is back to 1 car length, Auto headlights no longer required while on NoA and Radar active confirmed in Service Menu.

I sent three emails. Beta has disappeared from the car, but no updates after a week, to the regular software? Contacted SC, and they sent this:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service regarding your software update. We understand the anticipation of waiting for new features, and after review, we have confirmed your vehicle is up to date. Please know software updates occur on a rolling basis, and once you opt out of the Full Self Driving beta program, there is typically a pause period on updates after which you will be 'downgraded' to the latest non-beta software version when the next batch of upgrades is sent out. If you haven't already, you can also adjust your software update preferences under Controls > Software by tapping 'Software Update Preference'. Select 'Advanced' to receive software updates as soon as they become available for your vehicle configuration and region.

Thank you for supporting our mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Rhys M. | Tesla Vehicle Support
Tesla.com/Support

I sent three emails. Beta has disappeared from the car, but no updates after a week, to the regular software? Contacted SC, and they sent this:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service regarding your software update. We understand the anticipation of waiting for new features, and after review, we have confirmed your vehicle is up to date. Please know software updates occur on a rolling basis, and once you opt out of the Full Self Driving beta program, there is typically a pause period on updates after which you will be 'downgraded' to the latest non-beta software version when the next batch of upgrades is sent out. If you haven't already, you can also adjust your software update preferences under Controls > Software by tapping 'Software Update Preference'. Select 'Advanced' to receive software updates as soon as they become available for your vehicle configuration and region.

Thank you for supporting our mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Rhys M. | Tesla Vehicle Support
Tesla.com/Support
It'll come - be patient.

• Funny