Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I... (Pardon me, I'm a newbie here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thanks all who have posted here. I've read so much I am bleary eyed, and have decided to take the leap and buy a Model 3. I have some questions, and if some kind soul(s) can point me in the right direction, I'll really be grateful.

OK - Here's the deal. I will be 73 on 2 April. It's Bucket List time! I'm gonna do some Amtrak itineraries and and up in Emeryville, CA the first week in April. I want to pick up a new Model 3 in Fremont to drive back to Texas. I think I can deal with the ordering process, but there are some questions:

1) I live in Texas. Since Tesla can't sell in Texas (?) how does that work?
2) Can I specify that I want to pick up at factory store?
3) If I order wayyy ahead of my need, can I specify a pick up date? ex: Order Dec 26. They say delivery in 5-7 weeks. I'd like to say OK, I want to pick it up April 2 in Fremont. (Obviously more than 5-7 weeks.
4) I presume I get a paper plate (drive out plate?), but CA's sales tax is more than Texas' tax. Now what?
5) So they say "Pick it up at 10AM on April 2". OK, so my train is late or whatever and I can't show up until April 3 or 4. Do I go to the back of the line?
6) Will I get a final actual to the penny amount beforehand so I can have a Cashier's check in hand? When? If I decide to do a loan, when do I get a dollar and cents amount to deal with the bank?
7) My insurance agent will write me a binder at any time I have a VIN. I hear you get a VIN sometime before D-Day. (My insurance agent says he wants to see mine first then he might get one too).
8) Obviously, I'm gonna go over the car with a fine tooth comb before I sign. Let's presume there's a few non safety items needing correction. So these are noted, and I can deal with a local showroom/service center in Texas or do I have to stick around in Fremont?

If these questions have been answered elsewhere here, I've missed them. I'm sure I can amble over to the nearest Tesla jernt and ask, but I thought I could consult this august assembly first. I think I would trust information I receive here more.

Thanks again for your patience.

Reactions: BZM3 and Sherlo
1) I live in Texas. Since Tesla can't sell in Texas (?) how does that work?

It's treated as if you bought any car from out-of-state.

You don't have to pay car sales state tax in some states because they figure that you'll do that in Texas, but not so if you physically pick it up in California--you have to pay CA car sales state tax first then you'll have to sort it out with Texas to see if they don't do double taxation on you (some states have car sales state tax reciprocity).

To avoid that headache, you should have Tesla ship your car to Texas the same way as you pay Amazon online and you get your merchandise in the mail at home.

I think Texas customers can also pick their cars up at a Tesla center because there's no money exchange in Texas (your online transaction is routed to California, not local store in Texas).

...2) Can I specify that I want to pick up at factory store?...

Yes, you can but see the above answer for the headache.

...3) If I order wayyy ahead of my need, can I specify a pick up date? ex: Order Dec 26. They say delivery in 5-7 weeks. I'd like to say OK, I want to pick it up April 2 in Fremont. (Obviously more than 5-7 weeks...

In theory, you can, but in reality, you can't because Tesla's delivery date is all over the map. Very unpredictable.

4) I presume I get a paper plate (drive out plate?), but CA's sales tax is more than Texas' tax. Now what?...

I have no idea. Please call Texas DMV to see if they have reciprocity with CA so you don't have to pay car sales tax twice.

...5) So they say "Pick it up at 10AM on April 2". OK, so my train is late or whatever and I can't show up until April 3 or 4. Do I go to the back of the line?...

I wouldn't count on the delivery appointment. It might be changed again at the last minute.

My guess is it is ok that you are late to pick up your car but Tesla won't wait long before they'll sell your own car to someone else and you'll have to wait for your turn again.

...6) Will I get a final actual to the penny amount beforehand so I can have a Cashier's check in hand? When? If I decide to do a loan, when do I get a dollar and cents amount to deal with the bank?...

Yes. As your car will be confirmed that it's being finished in the factory, Tesla will send you a final price sheet that includes all the fees including CA DMV plate and title...

Some banks work with Tesla so they'll send the money directly to Tesla so you don't have to worry about that.

7) My insurance agent will write me a binder at any time I have a VIN. I hear you get a VIN sometime before D-Day. (My insurance agent says he wants to see mine first then he might get one too).

You should get your VIN quite promptly. It's rare that you don't get yours way in advance.

...8) Obviously, I'm gonna go over the car with a fine tooth comb before I sign. Let's presume there's a few non safety items needing correction. So these are noted, and I can deal with a local showroom/service center in Texas or do I have to stick around in Fremont?...

The trick is to get a "due bill" list from the delivery person. With that, you can get an appointment with any Service Center of your choice, either in CA or TX... It's a matter of waiting for your time slot.

Good luck!

TAM,
Thanks for your great informative answers. Not what I wanted to hear in some cases <sniff, whine>, but I really do thank you for the straight poop. Governments DO have a way of getting in the way, don't they?
Thanks again,
-- Doc

Financially, I think it is best that you don't physically pick it up outside of TX because when Tesla ships it to TX, it takes care of all the TX paperwork, TX plate & title, TX sales tax without double taxation with CA... for you.

The catch is you just cannot bring a check to the local store to pay up. It has to be done online or by mail to CA with payment in full prior to delivery (just like as if you are doing an Amazon purchase).

Once you got your car physically in TX, you can plan a nice long road trip to CA at your convenience.

TAM, I see your point.
Per Texas DMV, (and I had this experience years ago), you pay Texas sales tax less amount paid for sales tax elsewhere. No refunds for higher tax elsewhere. Rats.
Every new car I bought previously, I made the deal, wrote a check, they called the bank, I drove away. Louisiana dealer gave me a paper plate, Went to hometown bank, banker wrote me a loan, I registered the car and paid difference of sales tax, we went for a beer, done.
<BIG SIGH>
Things just aren't that simple anymore...
I was planning on checking off a couple of AMTRAK routes I haven't ridden, visit my 50th state, and drive back thru LA to hand in my retirement notice at the Head Shed.
So I guess I'll change plans. But I still want my Red Panda Silver Wheels Model 3.

Things apparently aren't that simple any more.

Thanks again,
-- Doc

Reactions: Tam
TAM, I see your point.
Per Texas DMV, (and I had this experience years ago), you pay Texas sales tax less amount paid for sales tax elsewhere. No refunds for higher tax elsewhere. Rats.
Every new car I bought previously, I made the deal, wrote a check, they called the bank, I drove away. Louisiana dealer gave me a paper plate, Went to hometown bank, banker wrote me a loan, I registered the car and paid difference of sales tax, we went for a beer, done.
<BIG SIGH>
Things just aren't that simple anymore...
I was planning on checking off a couple of AMTRAK routes I haven't ridden, visit my 50th state, and drive back thru LA to hand in my retirement notice at the Head Shed.
So I guess I'll change plans. But I still want my Red Panda Silver Wheels Model 3.

Things apparently aren't that simple any more.

Thanks again,
-- Doc

It would be that simple if the Texas Dealer association had not lobbied the Texas legislator to prevent Tesla from selling cars directly to the customer. They want you to be required to go through a car dealership and pay the dealer uplifted price. To get around this issue, Tesla is forced to go with the system you are stuck with.

In states where Tesla can sell directly to you it works much closer to your previous purchases but even better. You can do everything online. Then have them deliver it to your house or go to a Tesla showroom or deliver center and be in and out in 15 to 20 minutes.

California sales tax is slightly higher. If you pickup in California you will be required to pay their tax. You don't have to pay for registration, you get some sort of transport tag. When you get to Texas, you will show all your paperwork at the county tax office (and get a safety inspection first), they will confirm the tax but not refund. I think it's about 1.5% more, but I don't recall for sure.

On a positive note, this way Texas takes a financial hit on their no Tesla sale policy.

Reactions: drdumont
California sales tax is slightly higher. If you pickup in California you will be required to pay their tax. You don't have to pay for registration, you get some sort of transport tag. When you get to Texas, you will show all your paperwork at the county tax office (and get a safety inspection first), they will confirm the tax but not refund. I think it's about 1.5% more, but I don't recall for sure.

On a positive note, this way Texas takes a financial hit on their no Tesla sale policy.

If you are up for the increased logistical headache, this would be how you would pick it up in CA and return with it to north TX. As someone who purchased a total of three Teslas in north Texas over the past six years, I can say that the process here has gotten way more streamlined than it used to be. You can always tour the factory at a later time if you choose to take delivery in Texas. I've done that.

Either way, you're going to love your new Tesla. And think about joining the North Texas Tesla Owners Group. We do a bunch of fun stuff including meeting at various restaurants for meals, road "rallys" to fun destinations, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
If you are up for the increased logistical headache, this would be how you would pick it up in CA and return with it to north TX. As someone who purchased a total of three Teslas in north Texas over the past six years, I can say that the process here has gotten way more streamlined than it used to be. You can always tour the factory at a later time if you choose to take delivery in Texas. I've done that.

Either way, you're going to love your new Tesla. And think about joining the North Texas Tesla Owners Group. We do a bunch of fun stuff including meeting at various restaurants for meals, road "rallys" to fun destinations, etc.
Factory tour would be great. I love factory tours (Grew up wtching Industry on Parade".
I'm doing a Bucket List thing, some AMTRAK routes I haven't ridden, then to stop in to Corporate HQ to retire, then drive a route I used to drive several times a year.
I'd love to join the North Texas Group.
I'm still researching numbers. And as much as I love Texas, I don't agree with some of the policies like the No Tesla Dealer crap. But I am not sure I want to pay a 1.5% penalty for the privilege of thumbing my nose at Texas.
Nevada is an idea. My last Amtrak route stops in Reno...

Factory tour would be great. I love factory tours (Grew up wtching Industry on Parade".
I'm doing a Bucket List thing, some AMTRAK routes I haven't ridden, then to stop in to Corporate HQ to retire, then drive a route I used to drive several times a year.
I'd love to join the North Texas Group.
I'm still researching numbers. And as much as I love Texas, I don't agree with some of the policies like the No Tesla Dealer crap. But I am not sure I want to pay a 1.5% penalty for the privilege of thumbing my nose at Texas.
Nevada is an idea. My last Amtrak route stops in Reno...

I can't tell if you got all your questions answered, but I'm in the Dallas/Plano area and just completed the buying process.

Normally I've a "pick it up at the factory" kinda guy - been to Germany 2X for BMW European Delivery, etc. I was ready for a simple process and just finished it up this morning and have my delivery scheduled for 12/29.

Let me know if you have any additional TX buying questions. Overall it was pretty painless. The only awkward thing related to the "no Texas Tesla dealership" situation is that you have to pay/finance 100% before you do pickup, as opposed to finishing all the paperwork the day of the actual pickup.

...Factory tour would be great. I love factory tours (Grew up wtching Industry on Parade"...

I haven't checked about factory tour for a while but traditionally, it's available to high spenders only which are defined as Roadster, Model S, Model X... but not Model 3.

I am doubtful that the policy has now changed to accommodate Model 3 owners because I should have heard the good news from Model 3 owners by now.

You can circumvent that requirement by arranging with a Roadster/Model S/X owner to be part of a group of 4 (1 Roadster/S/X owner + 3 guests).

Thanks, Turns2stone. I am sure you are looking forward to the 29th. I think I have most of the answers.
At which of the Dallas area locations can you walk in, feel the merchandise, and get straight answers?

I was impressed with the Plano location. You can feel, touch and sit in the Teslas at the Gallery. Ask any questions and schedule test drives. I test drove a P3D. Its located within a well designed, high end shopping Galleria similar the ones in Austin and Houston. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Tesla Legacy West
7500 Windrose Ave Space B-185 I Plano, TX 75024

Last edited: