TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do I remove the rear license plate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mibaro2, Apr 24, 2014.

1. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Does anyone know how to remove the license plate on the model S (the rear one with the chrome Tesla holder)? :confused:
    I've tried turning the chrome covers, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Never thought I would ask how to remove a license plate!

I'm going to put on personalized plates.

2. SF_Ben

SF_Ben Member

You have to pull off the covers to expose the screws behind them. Just pull out - very easy.

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Thanks...was not sure if would break anything or if it was meant to be pulled off.
    Now I know.
    Awesome response time !

4. SF_Ben

SF_Ben Member

What's your personalized license? Mine is "USE KWHS"

5. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Since it is for my wife and I, we got " R TESLA "
    I've seen some really ingenious plates on the model S.

6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

You're reminding me of something I had forgotten: the frustrating job of putting new plates on ours during the first few days we had it. We had already gotten the plates in advance. But when trying to install them, first, there was no chrome Tesla frame on the car, and second, I had a devil of a time getting the paper temporary plate off the car because the screw anchors just rotated around in their holes, and offered no purchase to keep them from turning. It was even harder getting screws back into them with the new plate.

Anyhow, I have an SC appointment to have the hitch catcher installed, and will see what can be done about this as well. Thanks for the reminder.

7. Chet

Chet Member

We just ordered the identical plate here in California for our daughter-in-law, whose name is "Rosemary."