Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I replace the 12v battery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if the answer or topic is discussed elsewhere on the forum. I searched both the main forum page and the MS forum, but did not find a sufficient answer.

I just received the "Replace the 12V battery" notification. I live in Louisiana and the nearest service center is located 3 hours from my office.

Is this something a local battery shop can do? Is this something I can do, assuming I have the wherewithal?

I'll share my approach to the issue when it happened to me.
I called Tesla Service.
Nowadays ,they'll probably do it with their mobile service unit. I personally change the battery in all my cars, just with the Tesla, it seems like way too many unique variables

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
When my 12V battery recently started giving the replace message, I called service - They came out to my house and changed the battery, However, my car is still under warranty- This will likely be an expensive event out of warranty. On my 2014 non-autopilot car, the 12V battery is pretty buried on the passenger side. I watched the tech change the battery and it's pretty involved. Had to remove the passenger side covers, disconnect the HV, removed the terminal block from the top of the battery and finally, wrestle the battery out through a gap that barely let it fit. The reverse process was almost as bad. It took him almost an hour. I understand newer cars are much easier, but for a mid 2014 build, I dread the replacement after the warranty is over. This is the 3rd battery my car has had - first one lasted almost 3 years, second one only 7 months. Hopefully the second one was just a defective battery. 3 years on a 12 V car battery in the desert is pretty normal, so I wasn't surprised when the first one died.

After some time and effort, I reached service. It is a warranty issue, but I live outside of any reasonable service area. We went back and forth for a solution. I suggested I would change it myself. They discouraged me and offered to wave the Ranger fee. I agreed.
So for now, I drive with a warning light( until Dec. 22). I should have a new battery by Christmas, but what will I do next time... I think I will watch the Range closely, perhaps even video the service in the event I someday need to change the battery myself.

After some time and effort, I reached service. It is a warranty issue, but I live outside of any reasonable service area. We went back and forth for a solution. I suggested I would change it myself. They discouraged me and offered to wave the Ranger fee. I agreed.
So for now, I drive with a warning light( until Dec. 22). I should have a new battery by Christmas, but what will I do next time... I think I will watch the Range closely, perhaps even video the service in the event I someday need to change the battery myself.
What’s a “reasonable service area”?
I’m 203 miles from SC.

This is timely for me. Perhaps as we get into colder weather, more of us are getting battery warnings.

I've got an early 2013 MS 85, and I'm on my 3rd battery. The first 2 were changed as part of a regular service call at year 1 and year 2. My present battery is 2 1/2 years old and I just got the warning indicator this week.

Since I'm 350 miles from the closest service center, I'd actually be concerned that the 12v battery would give up the ghost on the trip there!

I'm out of warranty. I DO have the extended warranty, but the 12v battery isn't covered with that.

Tesla has offered a ranger, but has been unable to tell me what the cost of battery + ranger will be. I'll share that here once I find out...

Reactions: Gt1948
I have installed three of the BattMobile T1230 batteries: one to replace the OEM AGM and the other two in the trunk with my custom stereo installation. This has given me 90Ah of dependable 12VDC. I have had NO issues in the 30,000km and it has been dependable so far with a few -10C nights. I will report back after several -30C nights to update the status, but I am very happy that I installed the BattMobile units.

fyi note that the video posted above by Tiger shows an older RWD 85 Model S - in newer cars the battery is in a different spot, but still requires some disassembly of the frunk.

See the video in the following thread on how to disassemble the frunk of a late 2015 (pre-refresh) dual-motor MS, you can see the newer location of the 12V battery about 2:15 into the video:
Quick video guide for frunk disassembly

Ranger did my 12v replacement today. He came in a Tesla logo'd van packed with parts.

It was SUPER easy for me, in fact tons better than taking to a dealership. He came to my office, did the replacement in about an hour, updated my firmware, and was gone. I didn't have to go anywhere or miss any work.

I did get the newer micrographite carbon version, the ranger told me I had the old type previously.

Purchased a 2014 P85D on this forum about a month ago, and the 12V battery replacement notification came on tonight. The registration paperwork is still getting finalized with my credit union, so don't have the car registered under my Tesla account yet. Would I still be able to get a service appoint setup with Tesla without having it officially tied to my account? Does anyone have the total cost for this handy? Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong spot.

@rshields89 I have a slightly used lead acid battery for $150. plus shipping. I changed mine out for a lithium 12 volt from Ohmmu. There are plenty of videos on the ease of changing the battery on your own. Ohmmu has a website if you choose to go lithium.

Thank you for your help. Did you swap yours out on your own? I did see a lot of installation videos on YouTube but am always scared I'd screw something up. Probably will take the dive and do it DIY since the P85D is much more accessible than non-AWD older models. I appreciate you offering me yours, but found a few new C&D DCS-33UNCR DCS-33RIT batteries for around $180 shipping included. Is it worth forking out the extra ~$300 on the Ohmmu in your opinion?

Thank you for your help. Did you swap yours out on your own? I did see a lot of installation videos on YouTube but am always scared I'd screw something up. Probably will take the dive and do it DIY since the P85D is much more accessible than non-AWD older models. I appreciate you offering me yours, but found a few new C&D DCS-33UNCR DCS-33RIT batteries for around $180 shipping included. Is it worth forking out the extra ~$300 on the Ohmmu in your opinion?
Ohmmu excellent battery and will last much longer and is well worth it. Yes, I did the install.

I just got back from my Tesla service center here in Austin and made an appointment for them to swap it out tomorrow morning. Total cost before tax is right around $230. For anyone that wants to DIY this but has a Tesla service center close by, I would highly suggest going straight to Tesla. I shopped around for buying a battery myself and doing a DIY, but the cheapest reputable new one I could find shipped was $180. I will gladly pay the extra $50 for Tesla to have it professionally installed and put everything back together the way it's supposed to.