Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I stop audio starting when I enter car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listen to podcasts on my iPhone when I drive. Been doing this since I got my Model S three years ago.

Lately the podcasts always start up as soon as I enter the car. Never did that before. I HATE it! It is really pissing me off.

Is there any way to tell the car to not do that.

(I know I can pause it once I get settled in my seat, but I don't want to have to do that every time I get in my car.)

Thanks.

Music always restarts upon entry by Tesla's design. If you mute before you exit, it will appear to keep things like FM off when you get back in. Unsure if you're listening to podcasts via TuneIn, Bluetooth or USB. If you're using USB as I do, there are additional problems with USB sources, including phantom music will sometimes play when supposedly the car is OFF. There are a number of other threads on those firmware flaws.

So, net is, there is no real OFF to audio in Tesla's present design, and it generally starts playing whatever you were last listening to when you reenter your MS. I and some others believe those are bad design decisions, but it is what it is since there is no actual OFF or customizable option. USB has more problems unfortunately that could be corrected if Tesla prioritized it to be worked on, then delivered as OTA fixes. If you are listening to USB audio, as CliffG suggests, your best bet is to try to remember to switch to an FM station each and every time before you get out. Unfortunately, there are situations where MS will loose the position within that USB audio track when you go back to start listening to it again -- so that's very frustrating with very long tracks such as podcasts and audio books some of us listen to. Please send an email with your dissatisfaction to [email protected]. Some of us hope that more Owners documenting failures and dissatisfaction MAY help get Tesla Execs to correct some of these annoyances that have existed for a very long time.

Threads related to your concern include: