Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I stop feeding the grid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They dont seem to have an issue with talking to me about my powerwall only install (as attached to my pre existing solar) even though I passed permitting but dont have full PTO on the powerwall portion yet. that tells me that they are not as concerned about it when its just powerwalls attached to existing solar (because existing solar already has PTO).
Level 1 would not talk to me for this exact reason. I then complained that it was them that were delaying this and she looked at the file and said she would send an email to the person responsible. That makes about 8 emails that have been sent to that party.

This is a new install and when the installation crew departed they said "your system is on and working". So until a few hours ago I did not know about the PTO. Tesla did say the system isn't producing anything, which is apparently what they see, but it's not what I see.

PTO or none, the system appears to be fully operational. The flows don't add up exactly but they do seem substantiated by the changes in PW charge level and a reduction in my power from the grid. PG&E shows power supplied on an hourly and daily basis with about a 2-3 lag. Those hourly plots show zero power delivered during the afternoon and early evening when the app shows the house powered by the panels and then by the PWs.

Per my earlier post, I looked at my meter when the app was showing power flowing to the grid and it showed about -.4kWh, consistent with the app.

I don't have a PTO, didn't know what it was until a few hours ago, but the system appears to be operational.

It may well be that after there is a PTO Tesla will tweak the CTs as someone mentioned was done at their home and the numbers will start to add up more reasonably.

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 6.13.55 PM.png

This is a new install and when the installation crew departed they said "your system is on and working". So until a few hours ago I did not know about the PTO. Tesla did say the system isn't producing anything, which is apparently what they see, but it's not what I see.

PTO or none, the system appears to be fully operational. The flows don't add up exactly but they do seem substantiated by the changes in PW charge level and a reduction in my power from the grid. PG&E shows power supplied on an hourly and daily basis with about a 2-3 lag. Those hourly plots show zero power delivered during the afternoon and early evening when the app shows the house powered by the panels and then by the PWs.

Per my earlier post, I looked at my meter when the app was showing power flowing to the grid and it showed about -.4kWh, consistent with the app.

I don't have a PTO, didn't know what it was until a few hours ago, but the system appears to be operational.

It may well be that after there is a PTO Tesla will tweak the CTs as someone mentioned was done at their home and the numbers will start to add up more reasonably.

View attachment 515202

new install of what exactly? Just powerwalls? or new install of solar + powerwall? If its "solar + powerwall" if it was me I would not leave it on, as you run the risk of being fined for operating without permission. If its just powerwall, then you would already have a PTO for solar (theoretically, but its worrysome that you dont know what that is) and it would be just an extension.

you should have e-signed a net metering application that also includes permission to operate, that it sounds like has not been granted yet (if tesla is telling you "you are not producing anything yet", then I am surprised you see anything in the app at all, and wonder exactly what is going on... .again if this is solar + powerwall... powerall only with existing solar is different.

Solar + PW. I signed whatever Tesla sent me, then they sent an application to PG&E. I have not touched the system to turn it on or off nor do I intend to; it's Tesla's responsibility.

I also couldn't reconcile how they don't see what I see on the app. That said, I've had two Model S cars and Tesla's organization, systems and infrastructure is perpetually screwed up. It's Elon culture and will never operate smoothly. It's always scrambling, over committing, under delivering and making excuses. It's the triumph of engineering over marketing and customer support which works as long as there is no competition. In 5-7yrs there will be real competition and maybe Elon will have found the next shiny thing, or maybe not.

AC to AC power loss (which is what you care about) is about 10%. That's how much you lose by storing power in the PW for later use.

I don't know why it keeps feeding the grid while the PWs are not full. Typically, each Powerwall is limited to 5KW charging rate. I've seen some people complain about a 3KW limit. Sometimes you have to restart the PWs for changes to take effect.
How do you restart a powerwall? Just got mine today and have the same issue.

Didn't you get a manual with yours?

Turn off the Powerwall(s) with their On/Off switch.
Turn off the AC breakers for the Gateway and Powerwall(s).
Wait 1 minute.
Turn on the AC breakers.
Turn on the Powerwall(s).
You got a physical manual with your Powerwall? I received zero pieces of paper with my install. I thought it was the weirdest thing at the time and still do.