Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I stop this unintended acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other thing to note is Tesla's only move when in TACC/AP or when you press the accelerator. They don't creep or anything anymore bc regen braking is forced on you. No way that car moves without you pushing something. Excessive acceleration as stated was from the double click stalk putting it into TACC.

One other thing to note is Tesla's only move when in TACC/AP or when you press the accelerator. They don't creep or anything anymore bc regen braking is forced on you. No way that car moves without you pushing something. Excessive acceleration as stated was from the double click stalk putting it into TACC.
However, if you configured to be in Creep mode, it will move when lifting off the brake, just like an ICE car.

Engaging auto pilot while stationary requires you to press the accelerator to get moving. I did notice that sometimes the car takes off faster that I would like it to keep up with the car that just took off in front of me to get to the desired distance which is usually set to 2 in stop and go. And at highway speeds i keep it at 4.

It might’ve seemed like it was going to hit the car, but it probably wouldn’t have.

I tested auto brake the other day and it stopped at the very last minute. Granted I was moving at 5-10mph.

I keep car in Hold mode. Same stalk for gear selection and cruise/autopilot activation has not been an issue.

To drive you have to press “past detent” all the way down.

For cruise its a small pull before the “detent”. Double for auto pilot. Pretty straightforward.

Never had issue with car not going into drive on first try. When I get in I press brake and put on my seat belt at same time. Then put it in Drive. Works every time.

That's frightening. I wouldn't dream of double clicking the stalk if there were a car within 1/2 mile. I would be surprised if double clicking caused the hatch to open, but short of something like that, nearly any response is possible on mine. An obscure message ranging from glove box open to TACC not available because camera is blinded (or it's Friday) or full out acceleration to 75mph.

I'm still paying for going to Booger King and waiting in line 45 minutes and then getting dinged for 60% of trip following too closely. My safety score still is dropping (even on days I don't drive at all), as good days fall off and that 60% becomes more dominant. Of course I can't afford to eat at Booger King any more. But the concept of double clicking anything while in a waiting line is horrifying. I worry about even hovering my left foot over the brake while I delicately feather the accelerator to inch forward, maintaining at least 5 - 6 feet distance (and then put it in park, because like EVERYTHING ELSE about the car, I can't even trust "Hold".

What did you do to test auto braking? I don't use autopilot, but often want to test the car's automatic emergency braking just to see if it works. I'm not confident enough to drive towards anything to make it happen.
Open your garage door and drape a bed sheet by hanging it with binder clips to make a “wall” and drive towards it. If it doesn’t stop no harm done.

Just don’t come back here claiming your car accelerated by itself to 100mph during this test and you now have a large opening in your house and your car is in the middle of your living room.

Huh, did not know that. Of course, I've never had my car in creep mode either..... 😎

Pushing the brake pedal in further to engage hold also works in roll mode. Thats how I use it, actually. I use roll mode (hold mode didnt exist when my car was delivered), and come to a stop, then press in further when I want to use hold.

Pushing the brake pedal in further to engage hold also works in roll mode. Thats how I use it, actually. I use roll mode (hold mode didnt exist when my car was delivered), and come to a stop, then press in further when I want to use hold.
FWIW, this is very commonly used on ICE cars as well, at least on inclined roads, my BMW F10 does it both directions as long as i fully stop n press the brake a bit harder than needed to stop.

Reactions: jjrandorin