Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I tell if charging issues are from the SC or the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the car's first long distance trip using superchargers.

At one of the SC's (150KW max), charge maxed out at 30KW, but fluctuated between 0 and 30KW every 10 seconds. I think I averaged 15kW. Other cars seemed to charge slow but still faster than mine.

On 50% of the other SC's on route, charging never exceeded 50% of the SC's max charge rate. Outdoor temps ~45-55F.

I did get to ~75% max SC charge rate on 2 of 8 chargers.

Are any of these issues something that sounds like a defective on board charger?

150 kW = V2
250 kW = V3

The onboard charger is only used for AC charging. For DC charging (aka Supercharging), the charger is in the cabinet behind the fences.

Realistically, nothing breaks or fails in the car to make Supercharging slow. If it’s slower than you expect, at a given SOC, then either the battery is cold or the Supercharger stall is shared (V2 only), overheated, or otherwise broken.

Reactions: Chisale and Rocky_H
Tesla needs to implement a battery temp gauge, either the exact digital value or an analog gauge somewhere in the menu or one of the sub-screens. Even the new Mazda BEV has a battery temp gauge :(

It'd make some of these questions a bit easier to answer, and it'd help owners get a good gauge (no pun intended) if they are going to be able to achieve higher charging speeds.

@pt19713 Agreed. Especially, the car will know if it's one of the two main things:
Limited by state of charge
Limited by battery temperature
If it is either of those two things, the car can display a very simple message to let the owner know that's what's going on. Although, I guess it would always be limited by state of charge in a way.