Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I tell if I have 1000 mile free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Leafdriver333

Somewhat Active Member
Mar 21, 2019
usa
I had complications and the sales rep placed the order for me and he said he used a referral code since I didn't have a particular code I wanted to use.

My Tesla.com account page shows "Pay per use Supercharging".

How do I tell if I have 1000 mile free supercharging?

TIA

I have the same exact problem and so far I have not been able to get a response from the Tesla referral support team. Just got an automated response after I sent them an email. Tried calling as well but the support line just places you on an indefinite hold...
I know for a fact that the referral code has not been applied since it does not show in my friend's account who referred me either. At delivery they could see that there was a ticket to add the referral and it was closed.

How this would work anyway?
When you use a Supercharger you put a certain amount of kW.
- So how can you determine how many miles you will get ?
Since this depend of the speed, rain, wind, elevation, load or number of passengers...
It probably reads odometer.
If I first plug in at sc, odometer will be read at for example 195 miles. I can plug in as many times I want until I hit 1195 miles on odometer. So I should make sure I plug in at like 1150 miles and charge it up.

How this would work anyway?
When you use a Supercharger you put a certain amount of kW.
- So how can you determine how many miles you will get ?
Since this depend of the speed, rain, wind, elevation, load or number of passengers...

It's 1000 "rated" miles so you get less kWh on the 3 than if you got the referral on an X (without lifetime free charging).

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
It probably reads odometer.
If I first plug in at sc, odometer will be read at for example 195 miles. I can plug in as many times I want until I hit 1195 miles on odometer. So I should make sure I plug in at like 1150 miles and charge it up.

I doubt this is how it works. It's almost certainly based on rated miles. So if we assume a 78kWh battery and 310 miles per charge, you'd get just over 250kW for free.

I doubt this is how it works. It's almost certainly based on rated miles.
So if we assume a 78kWh battery and 310 miles per charge, you'd get just over 250kW for free.
So if Supercharging cost average is about $0.20 / kW, then you get (250 kW x $0.20) = $50
This about a round trip cost between LA and SF.

At least it seems that this doesn't expire, unlike the previous 6 months of Supercharging from last fall,
that you would have not be able to use during your summer vacation.

So if Supercharging cost average is about $0.20 / kW, then you get (250 kW x $0.20) = $50
This about a round trip cost between LA and SF.

At least it seems that this doesn't expire, unlike the previous 6 months of Supercharging from last fall,
that you would have not be able to use during your summer vacation.

LA to SF is a little under 400 miles so the 1000 miles is round trip plus hair way back a second time. Superchargers is a little more than $0.20 ($0.28 avg, higher in Cali.)

On the Tesla site, the cost for 1000 miles is $72 for the 3, $84 for the S and $95 for the X. If you read the fine print, the free miles do expire but it is 3 years so doubt it will be too much of an issue.

To see it, Supercharge and see if you get charged for it.

I'm pretty sure that this 1000 mile thing is new and that they'll actually translate that to 250 kWh of charging. And yea, it's not that much money, but that's a good thing! It shows just how cheap it is to travel in the car. I've got 17,000 miles and have just spent about $100 at Superchargers.

If you don't have it, I know "principal of the thing" but is it really worth the time and high blood pressure? That time would be a whole lot better wasted driving the car!!!!

Reactions: Runnergirl
Totally agree, not sweating over it but one thing I have learned, Tesla and Tesla Reps are just like all other auto companies and their dealers, they are different when they are selling compared to once they have sold...
I had high expectations I guess...

Reactions: jfinephilly
LA to SF is a little under 400 miles so the 1000 miles is round trip plus hair way back a second time.
Thank you for all the detailed and additional information!

- The 400 miles reminds me of a particular one weekend Double Double-Century fundraiser bicycle ride event between SF and LA.

I would like to try (sometime), but I would certainly use the more scenic road PCH 1 or Hw 101 instead of the Interstate I-5...

1200px-California_State_Route_1_Map.svg.png

Superchargers is a little more than $0.20 ($0.28 avg, higher in Cali.)

On the Tesla site, the cost for 1000 miles is $72 for the 3, $84 for the S and $95 for the X.
If you read the fine print, the free miles do expire but it is 3 years so doubt it will be too much of an issue.

- I was looking at the historical gas price, and noticed that from around 1980 to 2000, gas was about $1 / gallon (or $2/g considering inflation).

So taking a 25 miles / gallon car, 1000 miles would have cost $40 at that time (or may be around $80 considering inflation).

fotw915.png

Note: If would be interesting finding historical cost of electricity versus gas, but this would be the subject of another thread!

I am in the exact same position as the original poster. I bought my car 3 weeks ago. Used a friend's referral, but the dealership wasn't quite sure how to add the referral. I have been exchanging emails with the sales manger ever since and he continues to claim they are working on it. It has been exhausting. Meanwhile, I had to actually use a supercharger 5 times before my in-garage charger was installed. So, since my referral was still not properly added, I would love an explanation to this...my tesla account only shows 4 supercharger visits-why? Do they typically miss some charge sessions? Next, the other 4 are all "no charge" why? (recall-I am being told my referral code hasn't been added yet....). Can anyone at all who has received a referral tell how many miles are remaining on their "free-miles"? Lastly, in terms of how 1,000 miles is calculated, this is what I was told. The supercharger reads your rated miles remaining when you begin charging. And continues to read your rated miles remaining the entire time you charge. So It will take the final reading (say 200) and subtract the initial reading (100?) and "charge you" 100 miles added to your battery out of the 1,000 free miles. BUT if so, then where is the account kept that shows how many free miles remain!!?

I had complications and the sales rep placed the order for me and he said he used a referral code since I didn't have a particular code I wanted to use.

TIA

Same here. I learned my lesson: only order online without involving showroom people. My experience from start, 28th March, until now, has been beyond laughable. I was fed a constant stream of misinformation, even showing up to pick up a car that wasn't available. Many lies; much incompetence.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333

TIA

Don't worry. Things will be straightened out eventually.

When I got my free 6-month free SC (also ordered through a salesperson at a store not using a referral code), the 'pay per use' tag stayed in my account weeks after the car was delivered. The tag was eventually corrected, but I was never charged for SC uses even when the tag was 'pay per use'.

As a defensive move, you may want to keep a credit card with good customer service (dispute resolution in particular) in your Tesla account. That way, the credit card company could shield you from the charges if Tesla fails to honor the free SC offer (highly unlikely though).

I've been to a supercharger twice (used a referral code to purchase)... and while my dashboard says how much $ it costs, my account history actually shows $0.00

See if you're actually being charged in your Account History. I imagine once I hit 1,000 miles of supercharging (roughly 250 kwh), then I'll start actually being charged and it'll show up on my credit card and Account History.

Who knows though. Kind of weird it's not "tracked" anywhere. Like a countdown of the free supercharging consumption you've used.

Attachments

• cha.png
    cha.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 777
I've been to a supercharger twice (used a referral code to purchase)... and while my dashboard says how much $ it costs, my account history actually shows $0.00

See if you're actually being charged in your Account History. I imagine once I hit 1,000 miles of supercharging (roughly 250 kwh), then I'll start actually being charged and it'll show up on my credit card and Account History.

Who knows though. Kind of weird it's not "tracked" anywhere. Like a countdown of the free supercharging consumption you've used.

I can see my free miles in the Tesla app. Click on the little treasure chest in the top right corner.

Attachments

• DF326858-39C4-4F98-B552-7ACA160DA64C.jpeg
    DF326858-39C4-4F98-B552-7ACA160DA64C.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,283
Yup. Shows it on the app. I used it once last Saturday (same day I picked it up) and the app still says 1,000. I’m guessing they throw in the supercharging on delivery day since they figured you’d drive a ton and want to charge quickly to keep on driving!