Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I turn off all vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to leave the car for 6 days in the cold Colorado mountains with no cell service. How do I avoid unnecessary drain? Turn off climate conditioning, sentry mode, scheduled departure..... anything else? I wish there is a button for total hibernation, rather than doing all the little things.....

I need to leave the car for 6 days in the cold Colorado mountains with no cell service. How do I avoid unnecessary drain? Turn off climate conditioning, sentry mode, scheduled departure..... anything else? I wish there is a button for total hibernation, rather than doing all the little things.....
1. Sentry Mode-Off
2. Summon Standby Mode-Off
3. Disable Mobile Access
4. Disable Data Upload (to Tesla)- click "do not agree"
5. Climate Preconditioning - Off
6. Cabin Overheat Protection - Off
7. Make sure HVAC off when you leave-Disable "Keep Climate On".
8. Do not use or connect to any third party data-logging apps.
9. Scheduled departure-Off

I might miss something else...

1. Sentry Mode-Off
2. Summon Standby Mode-Off
3. Disable Mobile Access
4. Disable Data Upload (to Tesla)- click "do not agree"
5. Climate Preconditioning - Off
6. Cabin Overheat Protection - Off
7. Make sure HVAC off when you leave-Disable "Keep Climate On".
8. Do not use or connect to any third party data-logging apps.
9. Scheduled departure-Off

I might miss something else...
I don’t think #3 and #4 are necessary, especially since there will be no cell service.

Reactions: cstork
I don’t think #3 and #4 are necessary, especially since there will be no cell service.
actually I'd suggest that its even more important. Attempting to connect usually draws more power rather than less while the device is trying to establish a connection and will usually continue until it connects.
Although its probably much less power than keeping the other systems running ;)

Reactions: cstork
If you could figure out how to get out of the car without opening any of the door or window, you could go thru the menu and hit the power off button. But as soon as you open the door, the car will power back on.

Honestly it is only 6 days, I would just like it vampire drain unless you are really low. During some months of 2020, my car just sit on my driveway for 2 or 3 weeks. I just let the battery 70 miles or so before I charge it back up.

If you could figure out how to get out of the car without opening any of the door or window, you could go thru the menu and hit the power off button. But as soon as you open the door, the car will power back on.

Honestly it is only 6 days, I would just like it vampire drain unless you are really low. During some months of 2020, my car just sit on my driveway for 2 or 3 weeks. I just let the battery 70 miles or so before I charge it back up.
I have read that if you open the door and leave it open while going through the menu and powering down the car you can then exit the car and close the door. That it would stay off until you opened the door again. (Though there was no mention of locking the car. )

Is this not how it works?

I have read that if you open the door and leave it open while going through the menu and powering down the car you can then exit the car and close the door. That it would stay off until you opened the door again. (Though there was no mention of locking the car. )

Is this not how it works?
I don't know? My only experience with it was on the call with Tesla phone service. Since the problem at the time did not resolved by the 2 buttons reset, they told me to turn the power off for 3 minutes and turn it back on by pressing the brake. So I turned it off in the middle of summer outside on my driveway under the sun when it was 110 degree outside. After about 10 seconds, I ask if I could open the door or window, the service said no.. you have to wait 3 minutes. So I spent 3 min in a dry sauna inside my car LOL. I told the guy if I did not response after 3 min probably because I passed out and he should call 911.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
Six days is nothing. Just turn off Sentry and Summons and you will be fine. With those off the car consumes around 1 kWh/day. If you were to leave Sentry on it would consume about 6 kWh / day.
Maybe in Atlanta, but in cold weather it uses considerably more than 1kW-hr/day.

I ran out leaving my Model X at a cold airport for 2 weeks once. I don’t know if it would work, but my idea for how to not have it happen again was to disconnect the 12V battery. No idea if that would break the main battery by lettting it get too cold, but if it runs down to zero then the same thing will happen (as it did to me), so give it a shot maybe and let us know how it goes!

Maybe in Atlanta, but in cold weather it uses considerably more than 1kW-hr/day.

I ran out leaving my Model X at a cold airport for 2 weeks once. I don’t know if it would work, but my idea for how to not have it happen again was to disconnect the 12V battery. No idea if that would break the main battery by lettting it get too cold, but if it runs down to zero then the same thing will happen (as it did to me), so give it a shot maybe and let us know how it goes!
I have to ask the dumb question, are you sure both Sentry and Summons were off? If you inadvertently left either of these on you would have lost about 84 kWh of power.

Last edited:
I have to ask the dump question, are you sure both Sentry and Summons were off? If you inadvertently left either of these on you would have lost about 84 kWh of power.
This was 2018 December so before sentry even existed, and I don’t remember whether we had summon yet but I don’t leave it on ever…

Temps for part of it hovered around 0oF so it was awfully chilly! Interestingly when I got back the car still drove a bit: we jumped the 12V and drove it about 100m to a 120V outlet at the airport. The battery was at -4% (!), as we could tell from navigating one block away and seeing the predicted arrival percentage.

Reactions: ATPMSD
actually I'd suggest that its even more important. Attempting to connect usually draws more power rather than less while the device is trying to establish a connection and will usually continue until it connects.
Although its probably much less power than keeping the other systems running ;)
If you don’t try to access the car from the app, there won’t be any attempt to connect to the car, but if there’s no cell service, it’s a moot point. The car doesn’t try to connect to anything on its own, regardless of the mobile access setting.