Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I unlock and open the driver door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Feel kind of silly having to even ask..

I know a 2x double press on the keyfob will open the door, but I just want to be able to manually open the door without the driver door flying open into traffic.

Currently, when I walk up to the car and it unlocks and I press the door handle nothing happens.

When i walk up and press the handle, it will open, provided the car wasn't sleeping.
If it was sleeping it will do it after a few moments as it boots up.
I read somewhere theres am option to keep the car always awake by disabling the power saving option one of the settings.

I think that there is a setting in the car dash wherein you can disable the automatic door opening when you approach the car. I have disabled the autopening of the door when i approach my car. I have to press the door handle, or the key fob.

Feel kind of silly having to even ask..

I know a 2x double press on the keyfob will open the door, but I just want to be able to manually open the door without the driver door flying open into traffic.

Currently, when I walk up to the car and it unlocks and I press the door handle nothing happens.
"Passive Entry" = unlock when the fob is close
"Automatic Doors" = open the driver door when unlocked AND the fob is close + open the driver door when an unlock signal is received from the fob (double-click) + open the passenger door when an unlock signal is received from the fob (double-click) while the driver door is open

Automatic dors may also determine whether the driver door will close when you walk away with the fob and whether all doors will close when you send a lock signal from the fob (single-click or triple-click).

Based on your description, you want to disable automatic doors and enable passive entry, which I believe is in the security settings (as opposed to the door settings). FYI, passive entry is also what allows the vehicle to be started and driven anytime a fob is detected as in the vehicle.

Yeah, I've tried all permutations of those settings and the door still open when I physically press the door handle. I don't think it's related to the car being "awake" either since it happens immediately after driving the car as well.

Yeah, I've tried all permutations of those settings and the door still open when I physically press the door handle. I don't think it's related to the car being "awake" either since it happens immediately after driving the car as well.
I don't have a refresh so I'm suggesting this based on what I've read. Is there a triangle on the left side of the door handle? If so, try pushing that triangle to open the door (or to close it).

I think I misinterpreted your question (totally missed the last sentence), becauseupon re-reading, it sounds like you're saying the exterior button won't open the door at all. Are you saying it unlocks because the mirrors folk out? Are you trying to open the driver door? Try to make sure the entire button goes in all the way, when I do use the buttons (rarely), I've definitely found that I have to push the middle of the button or it will rock and not activate the switch behind it.

I think I misinterpreted your question (totally missed the last sentence), becauseupon re-reading, it sounds like you're saying the exterior button won't open the door at all. Are you saying it unlocks because the mirrors folk out? Are you trying to open the driver door? Try to make sure the entire button goes in all the way, when I do use the buttons (rarely), I've definitely found that I have to push the middle of the button or it will rock and not activate the switch behind it.
Ah yes, that is correct. The mirrors are out but when I press the pass door button, it does not lock. I'll try different touch points on it.