Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I wash my new Roadster 1.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use to be very picky about scratches on my previous cars, especially my 1st car which was a Mustang turbo (evolution of the turbo SVO). I found later this became just an extra stress point in life that I really didn't need and can put that energy elsewhere. I still love all my cars, give them a nice polish/was every couple of years, touch up nicks and minor scratches which I've become really good at, buff out scuffs, and give it the love of pure appreciation.

Since mine is my daily driver, it becomes normal wear and usage which has goodness in itself, the goodness of usage and enjoyment! I've grown more in the direction of being concerned about keeping all the mechanical components clean and working smoothly such as the braking, suspension, motor, PEM, battery and as well as keeping the under belly pans free of cinders and debris. But most importantly improving areas where an accident can damage or total my Roadster (mirrors, brakes, suspension, tires, etc).

That's where my personal safety and longevity of the car really rides on. As much as I hate repaints, the car can always be re-coated if I wanted to put it in a museum.

But there's nothing wrong with keeping it sparking clean and shiny :) Just make sure to use the Roadster well!

Last edited:
One thing I've found with the Roadsters is that the paint is much easier to correct than my BMW. I was able to use some very light products and non-aggressive pads to get out most of the scratches and swirls. They really clean up well!

Of course, it could be that my Roadster has 12K miles and my BMW has 100K miles.

I've found the exact opposite. Bought mine as a CPO 1-1/2 years ago and the swirl marks were terrible. I even had it professionally corrected and then Opticoat applied - swirl marks are still visible. Not as bad as when I got the car, but they're still there. It's actually much worse than other cars I've had. I'm not sure if it's the paint or how the first owner took care of the car, but the swirl marks are bad.

Like wiztecy, I've stopped worrying about it though. I'll repaint or wrap it if it becomes a seldom used collector one day.

Is it me or are Roadster owners a rare breed? We love our cars, are (almost) always civil and respectful to each other and really really try and help each other out! This is not true across the Tesla brand sadly. Roadster owners Rock!!
The Roadster community has always been supportive of each other. I remember attending a Tesla event at the Santa Monica Blvd store and let's just say they know how to have fun.

ecarfan is just being all sciencey on you @supersnoop. He knows in his heart that his car drives better and is more nimble when freshly washed.

I agree with adiggs re ecarfan's reply. Performance enhancement was always the motivation for washing and waxing my car - all the way back to my '59 Caddie. Even it got a range increase, I think.