Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do Model 3 reservations effect dealerships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been doing a lot of reading and cant seem to find any information about this question. Its common sense that reservations be filled before the model 3 ever hits dealership floors for someone to walk in and just purchase - but that just seems wild to me.

Anyone know more about this? Does Tesla need to fill the 300k-500k reservations to private parties before they can ever sell to the general public through established dealerships? It could reasonably be 2019 before they fill all reservations - that's why this is hard for me to wrap my head around haha

Well, the point is that any 3's in 'galleries' will be there for demo purposes only (for reservation holders to test out or for the general public to look at) for, as you say, a long time. If you think you want one, I'd definitely put your reservation in; you can always cancel it. It's fully refundable at any time (although it may take 4-6 weeks to get it returned).

Almost all Teslas are built to order and require a wait of, at least, several weeks. Even right now, except in very rare cases, with the Model S and X you cannot walk into a store a buy a car that is sitting there waiting to be driven off the lot. If you want a Model 3 you should place a reservation as soon as you can, the line is only going to get longer in the short term.

Thanks for the quick replies. Im new to the Tesla bandwagon and have already paid for my model 3 reservation. I was unaware that Tesla didn't use a standard dealership model - I had thought that eventually you wouldn't need to preorder one and could then just go to your local dealership and walk out with a model 3. So the dealerships around the country function primarily as a place to test drive your car before configuring it online?

Welcome to the forum, and to the ever-expanding, ever-more-impatient band of Model 3 waiters Hixson!
You'll find a lot of info. on the Tesla website and here on the forum, but to briefly answer your question: Teslas are normally ordered through the website or through a Tesla store (not dealerships, Tesla owned) and then you wait. The Model S and X now that they have been out for a while have CPO and Inventory cars that can be had in a couple of weeks, but I don't see that happening with Model 3 for some time due to the demand.

If you want one quickly, the best way is a private party sale. There are bound to be some Model 3 cars available this way once they are out but they will probably be snapped up quickly and owners might charge a premium!

This is actually a very interesting question. I would expect that they will have loaner and test drive cars that they will eventually sell. Right now the new Model S inventory in the US is 381 cars. Of those about 100 have 100-1,000 miles on them and another 100 have 1,000-8,000 miles on them.

You might be able to buy one of these used but technically new inventory cars before all reservations are filled.

This is actually a very interesting question. I would expect that they will have loaner and test drive cars that they will eventually sell. Right now the new Model S inventory in the US is 381 cars. Of those about 100 have 100-1,000 miles on them and another 100 have 1,000-8,000 miles on them.

You might be able to buy one of these used but technically new inventory cars before all reservations are filled.
Hypothetically, sure. As a practical matter -- it would require irrational behavior by Tesla.

GM dealerships have been known to sell Bolt and Volt demonstration cars during a supply shortage but that reflects the conflicting priorities of franchised dealerships and the manufacturer. The dealership does not benefit in the short term from increased demand that results from demonstrations and in the meantime gives up a sale.

Tesla owns the showrooms, and no such conflict of interest exists.

Thanks for the quick replies. Im new to the Tesla bandwagon and have already paid for my model 3 reservation. I was unaware that Tesla didn't use a standard dealership model - I had thought that eventually you wouldn't need to preorder one and could then just go to your local dealership and walk out with a model 3. So the dealerships around the country function primarily as a place to test drive your car before configuring it online?
You're close-- the Tesla STORE is a place to ask questions about the car, test drive it, and you can configure your order online there or at home. Tesla does not have franchised dealerships. That's one of the best things about buying a Tesla, you're buying directly from Tesla at a Tesla store or on the Tesla website, without the dealership "experience".

Reactions: 206er
There has been some speculation that in the near future your will still order your Model 3 like you do now but you will be presented with a list of inventory cars that can be purchased for immediately delivery rather than waiting for a custom car.

Eventually that may be the case but not for a couple years.

There has been some speculation that in the near future your will still order your Model 3 like you do now but you will be presented with a list of inventory cars that can be purchased for immediately delivery rather than waiting for a custom car.
Tesla has this feature available now on their website for ordering an S or X. I think it's likely they'll just apply this functionality to the ordering process for a 3, and that they are planning to have a larger inventory to be available.

Tesla has this feature available now on their website for ordering an S or X. I think it's likely they'll just apply this functionality to the ordering process for a 3, and that they are planning to have a larger inventory to be available.
What I was really implying is that the pool of available (Model 3) cars will be much, much larger than the current selection of available S & S cars.