Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do Non-tesla chargers work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I recently purchased a used 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR. I've noticed there isn't that many superchargers in Los Angeles but plenty of J772 chargers or whatever its called. How do you pay for those chargers? For example, I work at a hospital and we have those chargers but im not sure how to use them. When I purchased the Tesla they did provide me with a charging adapter to work for those type of chargers. Also I've noticed that supercharging is more expensive than I thought. I live in a condo with outdoor parking so I can't really charge at home.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Akikiki
All you do is use the adapter that comes with the Tesla. Each non-Tesla charger works differently depending upon the company that installed it. For some you need a card for that company, others just use a credit card (but may charge more if you don't use their card). I'd see if you can get a Tesla Wall Connector installed. It's rated for outdoor use. That would be the ideal solution.

Reactions: cwerdna
3 of the biggest in the US are Chargepoint, EVGO & Electrify America.
There are a few others like Blink (they suck), Greenlots (owned by Shell) and SemaConnect.

Definitely explore Plugshare (their web site and app). Filter by J1772, Tesla and Supercharger. Don't bother w/the other plug types for now.

If there's free or cheap enough CHAdeMO charging (turn on CHAdeMO in Plugshare/charging network app), consider spending $450 for CHAdeMO Adapter. This guy paid off his CHAdeMO adapter by getting enough free and cheap juice (CCS Adapter for North America).

Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America is currently NOT cheap in CA: 43 cents/kWh for Pass and 31 cents/kWh for Pass+ (has $4/mo fee). And, no, Tesla has not shipped any CCS (Combo1 flavor of CCS aka SAE Combo) adapter for North American Teslas yet.

If the charger does not have a touch-screen or clearly visible instructions, then there is no charge for using it. It is common for workplace charging to be free.
Not necessarily. I've seen some w/neither and they were restricted. I couldn't use them.

I've also see restricted Clipper Creek EVSEs with a key lock (ChargeGuard Access Control Kit | ClipperCreek). I of course couldn't start charging on them either.

I've seen units like in the 2nd pic of PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. I couldn't use them either.
Not sure where that might be, but charging at my former workplace was 61 cents per kWh (vs. under 10 cents at home). Needless to say, I passed.
My work has free L2 charging. Prior to COVID-19 and now being forced to WFH (less restrictive now), that was my primary source of EV juice for almost 7 years. It's pretty common for Silicon Valley companies. Is free for employees at Google, Apple and I'm pretty sure Facebook, as well.

However, some other Bay Area companies do charge their employees to charge at work (e.g. HP and Oracle, as far as I can tell).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Re: my Facebook comment, pre-COVID, it sounded like Facebook had EV valets. I spoke to a guy at my work who used to work for FB and found it sometimes difficult to deal w/the car shuffling at my work due to meetings. He's a manager so that means he has lots of meetings. Sounded like he just dropped off his car at FB and the valets took care of charging it.

My work also had EV valets long ago when our parking was so full, we had to have parking valets. They doubled as EV valets but we had limited #s of plugs and they could only handle so many vehicles due to charging time and lack of DC FCs. FB most definitely has some DC FCs for employee use, as well. They're listed on ChargePoint's map if you check around Menlo Park, CA.

Also, post-valet but pre-COVID-19, my work was trialing using Mobi EV Charger - FreeWire Technologies. We had at least 3 of these on a trial and a guy who would go around moving the "mobile" batteries (they're motorized and very heavy) to cars lined up to charge in a designated area then charging them for a designated amount of time. IIRC, their output was 5 or 5.5 kW per handle.

I believe my work ordered some and wanted to make it permanent but now I have no idea where that stands now due to COVID.

Almost nobody is going to the office now due to COVID and it might be this way until months after a safe and effective vaccine is available. The numbers I gathered are so low, there's no way we're hitting even 25% utilization of our existing charging stations now.

Last edited: