Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do people leasing cars deal with the wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about a year out from the end of my Mercedes lease and am (once again) considering a Tesla Model 3.

I understand that the wait for a Model 3 is now 1 to 3 months. If you have a leased car, with a lease that ends on a specific date, there could be a period of time where you have no car while waiting for your Tesla. Has anyone out there dealt with this problem? Do you just rent a car, or does Tesla do something to help with the waiting process?

Reactions: El joe
Prep for the next lease/purchase months ahead of time. Then set up delivery for a few days before you turn in your current lease. I’ve never leased a car before but imagine it always takes a bit of planning at the end. I don’t think switching to a Tesla will make it more complex.

The reason its more complex with a Tesla (model 3 or Y) is because of the demand for the vehicle. This wouldnt be much different if the OP was actually ordering a Merc or BMW to be built for them, but it IS different than buying one off the lot.

There is no accommodation that I am aware of, OP, thats on you to deal with.

I am pretty surprised you would consider a model 3 though, the car has not changed appreciably since you did your last fairly extensive search, except for the addition of a heat pump. Same basic car, so if you didnt like it then, its roughy the same now.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I am pretty surprised you would consider a model 3 though, the car has not changed appreciably since you did your last fairly extensive search, except for the addition of a heat pump. Same basic car, so if you didn't like it then, its roughly the same now.
I didn't buy a Tesla last time around because my MBZ salesman (who has leased me a Mercedes every 3 years or so since 1997) sold me a $53,000 car for around $44,000. He also said that by the time of my next lease, MBZ should have an EVs.

I am now sold on getting an EV and am looking at Tesla and all other options. If MBZ has a good EV, I will probably get that, but I am also considering the BMW i4, the Model 3 LR, and the Audi e4.

I didn't buy a Tesla last time around because my MBZ salesman (who has leased me a Mercedes every 3 years or so since 1997) sold me a $53,000 car for around $44,000. He also said that by the time of my next lease, MBZ should have an EVs.

I am now sold on getting an EV and am looking at Tesla and all other options. If MBZ has a good EV, I will probably get that, but I am also considering the BMW i4, the Model 3 LR, and the Audi e4.

If you stick with MB, you can probably extend your lease up to 5-6 months with a car on order. I know BMW does that (did it myself a couple times). When you are switching brands, its all on you to deal with it. You got a while before you have to make a decision though, if you are a year out, you might consider extending your MB lease till MB has their models out. They should have something mid 2022, and you can decide then.

My wife's lease ends in September and we just ordered a Model Y that should come by the end of July. In our case, the Mazda CX-5 we are trading in has positive equity so I'm ending the lease early by trading to Tesla and getting 4k towards her Model Y.

I was considering ordering and just ending the lease early or holding the lease with a month or two overlap as she needed a car before she goes back to teaching in September. Trading in the lease to Tesla ends up being the best of both worlds so I would check your trade-in estimate as it may be worth it to just do a trade.

Nobody waits "1-3 months" per se. The deliveries happens at the end of every quarter. So if you order at the beginning of the quarter, your wait time is about 3 months. If you order at the end of the first month of the quarter, your wait is about 2 months etc.

That being said, there are some other factors such as the configuration you order and that configuration compared to what they forecast will be the actual demand and what the actual demand is. As well as where you are located, etc. So if you lease ends at the end of a quarter, place your order on the first day of that quarter and you should be fine.

The alternative is to order around the end of the quarter waiting for a "leftover" car form that quarter. But in that case, you don't 100% get to choose the configuration, you need to choose among what is available in your region. Or a demo car. However, in the last 2-3 quarters there have been very few "leftovers" left and they went really quickly.

TL;DR all deliveries occur in the last 2-3 weeks of every quarter so your actual wait time is not X days after the order but rather how many days between your order and end of that quarter. Order the first day of the quarter you lease end of the lease ends near the end of a quarter else order the first day of the previous quarter and have 2 cars for a couple weeks.

Nobody waits "1-3 months" per se. The deliveries happens at the end of every quarter. So if you order at the beginning of the quarter, your wait time is about 3 months. If you order at the end of the first month of the quarter, your wait is about 2 months etc.

That being said, there are some other factors such as the configuration you order and that configuration compared to what they forecast will be the actual demand and what the actual demand is. As well as where you are located, etc. So if you lease ends at the end of a quarter, place your order on the first day of that quarter and you should be fine.

The alternative is to order around the end of the quarter waiting for a "leftover" car form that quarter. But in that case, you don't 100% get to choose the configuration, you need to choose among what is available in your region. Or a demo car. However, in the last 2-3 quarters there have been very few "leftovers" left and they went really quickly.

TL;DR all deliveries occur in the last 2-3 weeks of every quarter so your actual wait time is not X days after the order but rather how many days between your order and end of that quarter. Order the first day of the quarter you lease end of the lease ends near the end of a quarter else order the first day of the previous quarter and have 2 cars for a couple weeks.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Reactions: sroy
I am about a year out from the end of my Mercedes lease and am (once again) considering a Tesla Model 3.

I understand that the wait for a Model 3 is now 1 to 3 months. If you have a leased car, with a lease that ends on a specific date, there could be a period of time where you have no car while waiting for your Tesla. Has anyone out there dealt with this problem? Do you just rent a car, or does Tesla do something to help with the waiting process?
Why don't you order earlier and just have to car a few days before your lease ends?

Just looking to temper your expectations but the Model 3 is not a Merc. Just don't coming back on the forum and complaining about how is not as nice inside, build quality sucks, not enough buttons, it's too loud, it's too harsh, etc, etc, etc. :p

Reactions: coleAK
Just looking to temper your expectations but the Model 3 is not a Merc. Just don't coming back on the forum and complaining about how is not as nice inside, build quality sucks, not enough buttons, it's too loud, it's too harsh, etc, etc, etc. :p
Depends on what MBs they have owned. We had at least one MBs for the last ~25 years: ML320, SLK 32, SL500, e320, and a g500. Only ones we had for more then 5 years were the g500 I drive for 10 years and 17 years later we still have the 2004 e320 4 matic we bought new.

In terms of fit and finish most were exceptional, some were terrible. The worst was the SLK and despite being an AMG the interior was frail and cheep feeling. Had it for a year and it spent more then half of that in the shop due to issues with the convertible hard top. Dealer gave us full price trade in on a SL500, which was top notch in terms of build and fit and finish, like it came from a different car company entirely, that said it was $30k more then the SLK. The ML was our first MB it was mediocre fit and finish at best. Most expensive was the g500, also by for had the worst seats, interior and interior fit and finish, it was essentially a 30 year old overbuilt German military Jeep with a mix of C class interior glued in, that said for me it was a dedicated off roader lifter on 34’s so I didn’t care about the on road ride, noise, or cup holder.

With all these years of getting service loaners I’ve never driven a C, ML, or GL I was close to impressed with and could say is nicer in any way then the model 3. now the E, S, SL are way ahead, in some ways the old 2004 E with 180k miles more solid and quieter then our 2018 LR AWD 3. All that said unless MB can catch up to Tesla I’ll probably never buy another MB.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Prep for the next lease/purchase months ahead of time. Then set up delivery for a few days before you turn in your current lease. I’ve never leased a car before but imagine it always takes a bit of planning at the end. I don’t think switching to a Tesla will make it more complex.

The problem is that with Tesla you can't guarantee a delivery date (even after you've been given one) and you can't guarantee that the car they want you to accept will be in an acceptable condition.

The problem is that with Tesla you can't guarantee a delivery date (even after you've been given one) and you can't guarantee that the car they want you to accept will be in an acceptable condition.
Both Tesla’s I’ve bought had a 1-2 month heads up on delivery date and received both close to it. That said I’m in Alaska and the barges from Seattle are not as consistent as vehicle shipping in the lower 48.

I bought the MBZ because I was worried about the build quality of the Model 3. Ironically, the MBZ that I bought instead of the Tesla has had more problems than any car I have ever owned. In less than 2 years, it has had the following problems:

Driver's side window rolled down and stayed down, and motor needed to be replaced​
Trunk made a loud squeaking noise when open, and something needed to be replaced​
Random recall for something​
Folding mirrors stopped folding, but they were able to fix this in 5 minutes​
Wiper fluid reservoir cracked and needed to be replaced​
Truck started squeaking again, and it's going back for service this week or next.​
The good news is, all repairs were done in a day. I get an Uber to and from work on MBZ. So it has been a hassle, but I realize any car can have problems. And, despite the repairs, this is still my favorite car ever.

In my analysis of the Tesla, the thing it has that beats everyone else is its supercharger system. So that will be a tiebreaker.

I have a year to decide on my next car. It will be an EV. I really like the BMW i4. But Tesla is always in the mix.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I've been calling Infiniti and getting extensions on my lease. They seem perfectly happy to extend giving that I'm paying a new car lease price on a now used car. Have gotten 2 months of extensions so far - about to ask for a 3rd month - I should get my Model 3 next month.

I bought the MBZ because I was worried about the build quality of the Model 3. Ironically, the MBZ that I bought instead of the Tesla has had more problems than any car I have ever owned. In less than 2 years, it has had the following problems:

Driver's side window rolled down and stayed down, and motor needed to be replaced​
Trunk made a loud squeaking noise when open, and something needed to be replaced​
Random recall for something​
Folding mirrors stopped folding, but they were able to fix this in 5 minutes​
Wiper fluid reservoir cracked and needed to be replaced​
Truck started squeaking again, and it's going back for service this week or next.​
The good news is, all repairs were done in a day. I get an Uber to and from work on MBZ. So it has been a hassle, but I realize any car can have problems. And, despite the repairs, this is still my favorite car ever.

In my analysis of the Tesla, the thing it has that beats everyone else is its supercharger system. So that will be a tiebreaker.

I have a year to decide on my next car. It will be an EV. I really like the BMW i4. But Tesla is always in the mix.

But things like wind noise, suspension harshness, rattles, panel gaps, lack of features like ventilated seats or HUD, rebooting the car etc...will probably still bug you. It really seemed to bother you the last time and i doubt you'd be happy with the car. I say try a Mach E or E-tron.

But things like wind noise, suspension harshness, rattles, panel gaps, lack of features like ventilated seats or HUD, rebooting the car etc...will probably still bug you. It really seemed to bother you the last time and i doubt you'd be happy with the car. I say try a Mach E or E-tron.

OP has a year to make a decision (minimum) but, I also remember the car search by this OP previously, which is why I made the original comment that I did (that the car has not changed much since the last car search).

The tesla supercharger network is the "killer app" for tesla at this point, but I am fairly confident this OP knows exactly what is in store with a tesla model 3. OP did plenty of research and has continued to be active here after getting the MB, so there should be zero surprises at this point.

The main difference between now and last time is that I have done a lot of research on a lot of cars. I may keep my gas vehicle when the lease ends (because the residual is extremely low given the increase in car prices). But if I get a new one, it will definitely be an EV.

I have talked to 3 people in my office who have Teslas about their cars. (One of them had a bad delivery experience that prompted this post.) I have looked at panel gaps on a lot of Teslas and think a lot of the complaints are overblown, and that most panel gaps are not noticeable unless you are looking for them. One of them traded in his 2017 Model 3 for a 2021 Model 3 and he says it is quieter.

But, with that said, MBZ is the front runner for the next EV simply because they really deal hard to keep my business. BMW is also a front runner because I love the looks of the i4.

For what it's worth, I ordered my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD in April and got it in May. It was just luck I guess. Maybe they had a lull in demand.

Mercedes has gone down market over the years. I have a friend who is into old Mercedes cars. He has a 1995 S class with the 6 cylinder that was $90k new, back then. With inflation that's more than a new S class goes for.