TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do people like the "new" seats?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by randrave, Jan 2, 2015.

1. randrave

randrave Member

Most of the discussion about the new Tesla seats has been about people not getting the seats they ordered, which is understandably frustrating.

As someone waiting for my S85D, though, I am curious as to whether people have gotten the "new" seats that will be on the S85D. That is, I know P85D owners have been upset that they didn't get the upgraded seats they ordered, but did they get the "new" seats that will be on the S85D, or did they get the seats that Tesla was using before the October announcement?

And if they got the "newer but not upgraded" seats, how did they like them compared to the older seats?

2. muleferg

muleferg Member

The front seats are an improvement. The back headrest is to high for me. Vision not as good as my Model S.

P1040593.JPG P1040594.JPG

3. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I think the back headrest is a pretty clear improvement in safety for rear seat passengers, but not so much for the driver. I'm inclined to drive with the rear seats down by default.

4. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

LetsGoFast, I'm curious - what have they told you about when the driver assist ability will be added?

5. randrave

randrave Member

I know I had read a thread here or in the TM forum arguing that the older back row seat headrests were too low, and could be dangerous in the event of certain types of accidents. Too bad there's a trade off for visibility.

6. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

they could have made them adjustable - this way getting best of both.
    or even just detacheble - my old rover from start 1990 had headrest in the back with could be adjusted and/or removed if I wished so - I guess this is how most other cars are made, and it works well

7. green1

green1 Active Member

Best setup I saw was a mercedes loaner I once had, rear headrests flipped down at the touch of a button on the dash to give better vision.

8. mochouinard

mochouinard Member

I personally didn't like the front seat. Ok for short use, but long use, I find it squeze my side too much.

9. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

no offense but is this a body shape issue? my fit ev has "ok" side bolsters and the more i look at the next gen seats the more im interested in them. unless they suck to sit in for hours on end.

10. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

If only there was the option of an always-on HD rear view camera so that rearward visibility was not an issue :)

11. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

You can leave the rear view camera displayed if you press the camera button. I currently drive this way. And from experience rear visibly can still be an issue with the rear view camera, most especially when it's raining; even worse when it's dark and raining.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@gmontem, I'm pretty sure that @eye.surgeon's post was tongue-in-cheek: he knows about the rear view camera.

I always have the rear view camera image at the top of the center display while driving. But I agree with you that it is not useful in the rain.

The new rear headrests look very high. I am sure they are safer, but I would prefer the center headrest to be lower.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've found it to be useful in the rain most of the time. I can see where it wouldn't be useful a lot of the time in the salt belt during winter.

14. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

I find that even a little rain makes the rear camera useless. I've not seen that be an issue with the aftermarket camera on my Lambo, and the standard cameras on Lexuses. I think a little lip over the camera would do wonders.

Now back to the previously scheduled thread...