Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do send and address to car nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
simply share directly to Tesla from google maps or any other maps NEVER works (czech language, cannot change to english language in google maps, maybe I should try restarting my phone after language change), not even GPS coordinates - I have to share some form of address via clipboard 3rd party app, then it works

but GPS coordinates Tesla definitely SHOULD support

Well this sounds like a language/locale problem for the addresses, not a bug per se in the Tesla. What locale/language is the Tesla set for? What locale/language is the source app set for?

As far as GPS goes, its not a "bug" when Tesla doesnt support a feature you want, and I think you would have an uphill battle getting support for this anyway. After all, what does the car do when the GPS position doesnt correspond to a road or street address? Fly?

The problem I have with sending a destination from Google Maps on Android to the Car, is that it sends the entire address as the Street Address, and therefore the car doesnt recognize the location

For example:
Building: 69
Street: Elon Street
Zip: 420
City: Mars

It will be transmitted to the car as this:
Building: Empty
Street: "69 Elon Street 420 Mars"
Zip: Empty
City: Mars

This happens like....70% of the time. Especially if destination is a different city from current destination.

By the way, same thing happens with BMW's send to nav feature, so its some sort of oversight on the Google Maps API thing that nobody cares enough to resolve.

One consolation is that the Tesla NAV interface is so damn good and fast, i can just re-enter the destination in the car itself which takes all of 3 seconds, as compared to the tedious way with BMW iDrive of having to select state/city/etc first.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Well this sounds like a language/locale problem for the addresses, not a bug per se in the Tesla. What locale/language is the Tesla set for? What locale/language is the source app set for?

As far as GPS goes, its not a "bug" when Tesla doesnt support a feature you want, and I think you would have an uphill battle getting support for this anyway. After all, what does the car do when the GPS position doesnt correspond to a road or street address? Fly?
it's simply a huge bug for everyone when it does not work at all directly, you can call it a "missing feature" but it simply does not work, only Tesla does not work, every other app works when I need it in the same way, definitely a BUG for everyone with the same problem :)

it's simply a huge bug for everyone when it does not work at all directly, you can call it a "missing feature" but it simply does not work, only Tesla does not work, every other app works when I need it in the same way, definitely a BUG for everyone with the same problem :)

As I said, are the car and your phone setup for the same language? If yes, and the car cannot handle addresses, then I agree its a bug. Otherwise I think you're asking for a new feature.

surely not a bug of Google maps because the other maps have problem just with Tesla app. But changing to US English language "solved" my problem. Definitely a bug of Tesla, just Tesla has a problem with that address sharing in different languages.

Again, its a "bug" if the app is documented as supporting a feature but that feature is found to not work. It's a "feature request" if you feel the app SHOULD support something but it does not, and is not documented as supporting this.

Again, its a "bug" if the app is documented as supporting a feature but that feature is found to not work. It's a "feature request" if you feel the app SHOULD support something but it does not, and is not documented as supporting this.

Again, it's a bug when just ONE app does not handle that, especially an obvious function. You could call "feature request" almost every basic lack of functionality ... so call it a "basic lack of functionality not anticipated by the coders", the result is the same = basically a bug/non functional feature under some conditions especially when the coders created that feature :)

When I try to share an address it does not show up on my list anymore. It seems to have disappeared in last couple weeks. When I go the the [...] more button, Tesla app does not appear there. Any idea why it is no longer there? I used to love sending addresses to my Tesla.
I just tried it in Apple Maps and Google maps on my iPhone 12pro iOS 14.2.1. Works fine. My suggestion is to power down your phone and try again after powering it up again. If that doesn’t work, try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Thanks - this is awesome. So easy to do. My navigator can find addresses on her iPhone while I am driving and post them to the NAV without disturbing my screen.

Don't forget about voice commands you can specify the name of a company or business etc and the car will reach out and come up with the nearest matches to your location at which point you can select one. And the car nav will route you there. Or you can save from the beginning "navigate to" etc. etc. and the car will do the same thing.

As a Waze addict this is what I do...

Usually I listen to Bluetooth music from my phone.
Phone sits on the passenger side charging pad. It’s easier to see Waze on that side than drivers side.
The only alert I have on Waze is for police.
The Tesla nav is fantastic and I use that as primary.
If there’s a cop ahead the Waze will tell me through the Bluetooth. I’ll also briefly look at it if I’m going or plan to go at an excessive rate.
I also run a V1 detector and remote display just under the screen on the left.

This has worked 100% for me as a Waze lover.
I do pretty much the same. Have you found any way to share a destination from Waze to Tesla? I have not. Share does seems to work with Google maps.