Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do software updates happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a new M3P yesterday. Software for a car BUILT a week ago is an older version of what's currently available. How can that be? When I asked the person at the MDR delivery center, he did not know the reason or the answer. When I mentioned that I'm entitled to faster updates, according to Tesla website, he had no answer for that.
Is there a way to request an upgrade to the latest software version????

thanks

Took delivery of a new M3P yesterday. Software for a car BUILT a week ago is an older version of what's currently available. How can that be? When I asked the person at the MDR delivery center, he did not know the reason or the answer. When I mentioned that I'm entitled to faster updates, according to Tesla website, he had no answer for that.

thanks
Please note that the following is complete supposition on my part. I have no substantiating knowledge as to whether or not this is true, but it sounds like a good theory. :)

When I took delivery of my car in August, the SA told me that they make sure that every car that is delivered has the most current software installed.

Yet the cars that are being delivered after September 1st apparently have an older version of the firmware: .27.xxx.

IN MY OPINION, this is because those cars have to have the Pedestrian Warning System enabled on them, and that the software version installed in these cars is the latest one that supports that particular feature. Hence the dramatic difference in what is considered to be the "latest" software version in cars that are NOT equipped with the Pedestrian Warning Feature.

But I could be wrong.... ;)

thanks

Not sure what you mean by “entitled to faster updates” (faster than who?), but if you park your car close to a WiFi connection you will most likely get an update in a day or so. That’s what happened to me a few months back when i got my M3 LR AWD.

Not sure what you mean by “entitled to faster updates” (faster than who?), but if you park your car close to a WiFi connection you will most likely get an update in a day or so. That’s what happened to me a few months back when i got my M3 LR AWD.
I think he means he should get faster updates, as he bought FSD, and Elon said that FSD owners would be getting v10 sooner than the rest of the fleet. That is often misconstrued by people as thinking they are entitled to *all* updates faster than everyone else.

So, here's the details.

Not all cars get all updates.
Some updates take around a month or so to role out, fast pushed ones can take a few weeks.
The exact same car as yours and have different updates, it's the way it works.
The new hardware has slowed down a number of updates for those cars, may be catching up though.

You MUST be connected to Wi-Fi to get updates. There are software and map updates that occur, as well as uploads to Tesla.
The Wi-Fi connects for a few minutes, checks to see if there is anything available and then disconnects.

You will probably never have the latest update. There are folks in the closed early access team that see them first. And even then, those may never be rolled to the fleet.

This is not a software model like a phone. So don't try to make it look like one.

Moral:
Connect to WiFi, chill and don't worry about it. Software will come when it is ready.

I usually see an update 4 weeks after the first one goes out, also by the time I do get it, it has changed a few times, example would be 10.1 is rolling out now, I might get 10.3, I rather wait a little and get the one with the least bugs in it, and because of this I don’t have any issues with my updates.

So hang in there, as long as you have a good 2.4ghz WiFi it will come.

Fred

My WiFi management system would beg to differ. The only time the car is not connected to WiFi is when it's out of range or updooting.

Two separate points. First point, the car needs to be connected to talk with the WiFi router ( send and receive packets). Second point, Then programs on the Tesla can query servers on the internet to upload data or check/receive downloads.

Two different computer communication points.

So the Tesla connects and disconnects from remote servers while staying connecting to the WiFi router.

Note that the LTE cellphone connection is usually lower speed than the WiFi router, so updates rarely come thru the cell connection. Hence the folklore that to get an update you need to be connected to the WiFi router.

To answer the original question, "How do software updates happen?"

First, a mommy server and a daddy server meet. Then they fall in love.. and when they love each other very much ... a new software package is born.

Enough being silly ...

My WiFi management system would beg to differ. The only time the car is not connected to WiFi is when it's out of range or updooting.

Your car doesn't go into sleep? Mine disconnects when in sleep - wakes right up and reattaches when I ping it. It appears that Tesla has wifi power save modes turned on; I have UAPSD turned off on my access points, but the clients (i.e. Model 3) still attach with power save turned on.

The bigger question is why Tesla uses a hostname with an underscore (tesla_model_3), which violates RFC1123?

To answer the original question, "How do software updates happen?"

First, a mommy server and a daddy server meet. Then they fall in love.. and when they love each other very much ... a new software package is born.

Enough being silly ...

Your car doesn't go into sleep? Mine disconnects when in sleep - wakes right up and reattaches when I ping it. It appears that Tesla has wifi power save modes turned on; I have UAPSD turned off on my access points, but the clients (i.e. Model 3) still attach with power save turned on.

The bigger question is why Tesla uses a hostname with an underscore (tesla_model_3), which violates RFC1123?

Thought I was the only one who thought underscores were strange.

What seems to work is scheduling a service appointment in the mobile app for the purpose of a Software Update. Ten minutes after I did this, when my car was on my wireless network, I got the "Software update available" notification. Once you have it installed (or installing), you can cancel the appointment.

Not understanding why this can be an issue. Perhaps you can explain. I use underscore characters for names on my site for years without an issue. puzzled.

RFC1912 explains why:
" Allowable characters in a label for a host name are only ASCII
letters, digits, and the `-' character. Labels may not be all
numbers, but may have a leading digit (e.g., 3com.com). Labels must
end and begin only with a letter or digit. See [RFC 1035] and [RFC
1123]"

"There is at
least one popular TCP/IP implementation which currently refuses to
talk to hosts named with underscores in them."

In a different career, many moons ago, I tripped over EXACTLY this. The powers-that-be built early Exchange servers with underscores. Because that's not legal, the _ is changed to a dash when using DNS. This gets horrifically messy, when the server thinks its name is EXCH_01, but sends email from EXCH-01.domain.com
See: Best Practices for WINS Servers

Many SSL certs enforce RFC1123 as well: Underscores not allowed | digicert.com

In practice, it works for the most part.. but anywhere the RFCs are enforced somewhat strictly, you could get some very interesting edge cases.

Been there, done that, managed the email system for 100+ million customers ....

Hostnames themselves cannot have underscores, but other record types may. See: Hostname - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Enough being silly ...

There is never enough being silly!

It does not. Not completely at least. I keep Sentry mode on even at home because that's an extra set of cameras just in case. Also allows me to work on the Pi.

Usually because people don't know the RFCs and so put in "Something". I see it all the time. Especially from Microsoft.

There is never enough being silly!

Agreed! Just needed a transition to get down to bid-ness.

It does not. Not completely at least. I keep Sentry mode on even at home because that's an extra set of cameras just in case. Also allows me to work on the Pi.

Ah - if you have Sentry on that would explain it certainly. I have enough Nest cams to choke a horse (not that I've tried) so I don't mind letting the car rest a little bit. The Pi is a good point but I've replaced mine with an SSD for now, until we can get the "too slow" error messages to go away.

Usually because people don't know the RFCs and so put in "Something". I see it all the time. Especially from Microsoft.

Well, yea. Microsoft; nuff said. And that's the story of how I tripped on this back in the day. I'm a Unix guy at heart (long live Solaris!) - and we played by the rules... the Microsofties... not so much. And they got kinda PO'd when I'd have sendmail start rejecting their bogus hostnames...

For what it’s worth. It doesn’t matter at all if you’re connected to WI-FI to get the “software update available” message. You must be on Wi-Fi for it to actually download. But Wi-Fi plays no part in the availability of the updates.

I hope that's true because I live in an apartment building and the garage is underground and I barely get a cellular signal down there.