Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do the car know what is home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering how the car sets the perimeter of being home.

I have the home adress set in the car and it seems like it knows when I am parked at home. However if I park at a charger around 300-400 meters from home it still thinks I am home. (resulting in some wrong values for charge price) (the price is sometimes cheaper at home - sometimes at the charger).

I am wondering if it has a perimeter for home or if it is connected to the gps destination and if there are any way to have it actually know that it is not at home when chargeing 400m away from home?

The gps is set to my home.. but it seems to consider anything within around 500-700 meters my home.. Ie. Sentry is not on and it takes charge price as being home.

GPS. Try setting the Home location when parked a little further away from the public charging station.
If I do that the car wont show me the way home when I set the GPS to home :(

The gps is set to my home.. but it seems to consider anything within around 500-700 meters my home.. Ie. Sentry is not on and it takes charge price as being home.

If I do that the car wont show me the way home when I set the GPS to home :(
I meant 100 meters to 200 meters further away. Of course if you live above or right next to the public charging station this won't help.

you should set your home when you are in the garage, on your home wifi. 200-400m for the 'home'location is too far. Homelink closes within 10-15m, mirrors unfold similarly within about 30m. The car knows home location pretty well. GPS is accurate to about with 1m. Unless you are in a hilly/tree covered area where signal is blocked/diffused, it shouldn't be an issue.

you should set your home when you are in the garage, on your home wifi. 200-400m for the 'home'location is too far. Homelink closes within 10-15m, mirrors unfold similarly within about 30m. The car knows home location pretty well. GPS is accurate to about with 1m. Unless you are in a hilly/tree covered area where signal is blocked/diffused, it shouldn't be an issue.
Will try to set it again. I just put in the adress and used that. There are 411 meters to the charger so if it is within 15 meters it is a bit off :)

I really do read owner's manuals, in fact have written hundreds of them, but there just isn't anything in the Tesla Owner's manual that deals with this issue. And when that's the case, snarky responses of RTFM may make you feel better but don't contribute to solving the problem.

I live in an RV Park. My address includes the park business address, with my particular lot number following - just like an apartment number. Ever since I got my MYLR the car and the app display exactly where my car is, but it was insisting my garage is not "Home". "Let's go home" to ego always resulted in getting to the park, then when I get to my garage, wanting me to make a U-turn and go back to the office. Exclude Home didn't work right, etc. There are many examples of this issue in this thread and there are several good responses with instructions on exactly what to do about it.

Following the instructions in this thread, I went to Google Maps, gave them my complete address and requested the change to where my garage actually is. 8 Hours later I got a nice response from Google, that my suggestion had been accepted, the change had been made, and thanked me for making a suggestion that improved Google Maps. Even showed me a picture of the old and new locations.

Thanks folks, you have solved for me a problem that caused several annoyances. What a great forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV