Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do these performance wheels work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sorry for asking what's probably a stupid question, but the MX is our first high end car and we got the standard 20" wheels with it.

I'm expecting the 22" turbine performance wheels from the referral program, but I'm not sure what the "performance" part means. I know range goes down and they can't be used in winter, but what are the benefits? Increase in handling or speed? How does handling "improve"?

They call them performance wheels because they perform a dollar removal operation on your wallet.

There is no need for 22 inch tires on a minivan/CUV. I don't even use them on a P85+, because you don't need them.

Check out what most track cars race with - they aren't running anything over 19 inches.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
I'm so sorry for asking what's probably a stupid question, but the MX is our first high end car and we got the standard 20" wheels with it.

I'm expecting the 22" turbine performance wheels from the referral program, but I'm not sure what the "performance" part means. I know range goes down and they can't be used in winter, but what are the benefits? Increase in handling or speed? How does handling "improve"?

Benefits? Looks

yeah, I think most people would argue that it means more handling (by tire changers, as they are replaced more often). :)

Sorry, just could not resist that straight line setup.

Hell yeah!

Attachments

• DAEC1900-1642-48F6-82ED-0ADB73CBF0C6.jpeg
    DAEC1900-1642-48F6-82ED-0ADB73CBF0C6.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 49
You could argue that 22" allow for more low profile tires, which might improve handling....

It's all for looks/image really.

In the real world performance is often worse on ultra-low profile tyres. Lower profile tyres are generally less compliant over potholes and sharp bumps (=loss of grip/ poor ride quality) and they tend to break away more sharply at their limits. Not to mention they are noisy, heavy and inefficient. It's perhaps telling that most track day warriors settle on 18" or 19" rims as a compromise (although the tyre profile depends on the overall wheel/tyre diameter) and it often comes down to what "performance" tyres are actually available in the specific size required.

Bottom line - on a large SUV like this, 20" is not a bad compromise between looks and performance. 22" is just for show, personally I couldn't live with the cons but many do. I have to admit the 22s do look nice!