Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do trade-ins work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests how does a trade-in work?

I am looking to get a Model X for my wife and trading in her 2017 Escalade.

I would ideally be ordering a car, not one from inventory, so how do I get a trade estimate knowing I’ll be putting more miles on the car?

Anyone have issues with trade numbers from Tesla?

Thanks for the help.

Tesla uses kbb for trade value and no matter how clean your car is they choose poor condition for trade in value. I traded in a car when I purchased my x this year. It was easy and really hassle free. It’s definitely not the best number you can get for your trade in. But if you are ok with getting less then you might get selling it private you will have no problems doing it with Tesla. I put 400 miles on my car after I got the kbb quote and I had no problem on the day of trade in. All the. Umbers were the same.

Tesla will, however, accept the value offered by CarMax. Carmax offered $3400 more on my Highlander than Tesla and Tesla accepted that. I have read they accept no other figures but their own and Carmax's. I have read they limit your miles to 1000 but did not experience that myself. I was buying an inventory car, had 5 miles so win, so transaction was completed within 10 ten days.

I hope this answers your question. You provide your trade-in details. If the offer is acceptable, you go ahead and place your order and the offer is attached to your new order.

You provide a photo of the registration, title and odometer along with interior and exterior photos to your delivery advisory and the remarketing team at Tesla looks at the photos and accepts the trade-in.

You can only put approximately 1000 miles on the vehicle without triggering a reappraisal on the car. I would highly advise you put as few miles as possible on the vehicle while you wait for your new Tesla. 1000 miles seems like a lot, but when it seems like it is taking 4-6 weeks for a custom order to be delivered, you can put that many miles on a vehicle pretty easily.

Tesla will Fedex paperwork for you to sign before your new vehicle arrives. Sign it and use the provided return label to send it back the same day!

IF you are doing a carrier direct delivery to your home, they are supposed to drop off your new car and pick up the old one at the same time. This is the phase we are in right now, waiting for our new vehicle to show up.

Tesla will, however, accept the value offered by CarMax. Carmax offered $3400 more on my Highlander than Tesla and Tesla accepted that. I have read they accept no other figures but their own and Carmax's. I have read they limit your miles to 1000 but did not experience that myself. I was buying an inventory car, had 5 miles so win, so transaction was completed within 10 ten days.

Tesla people took about 15 pictures of my 2017 Lexus when I traded it in September of 2018. About a week later I had an offer from them in writing. It was actually a pretty good offer, but I wanted more. My car was in pristine condition with less than 6K miles. I told them that Lexus would buy my car outright from me for $3K more than what was proffered. Without any corroboration, they accepted my figure. YMMV