Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we “tinker” with our Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropping in one of these is always good for +5hp based on my butt dyno.

c83b8c9369db5f1f97dd04b28f4e58b6.jpg

E5E2A853-DBF4-4A26-8C29-6B4161AAB488.jpeg
Looking into getting the digital plate from Reviver for our Tesla’s.

Here in Arizona, electric vehicles get a blue “cloud plate” that allows alternative fuel vehicles in the HOV lane with any number of occupants..

I am waiting on an answer from Reviver to see if they have an agreement with the state to allow access to the HOV lanes with their plate...

PS love the wrap,,

The ball upgrade is great, have you noticed an increase in road noise?

For the suspension stuff, since my wife also drives the m3, I know she would be miserable with the stuff I would like (better handling, stiffer ride)
The MPP comfort coilovers have better, stiffer handling but ride much smoother than stock. "highest" setting is just 5mm lower than stock. Also, going lower increases range, so maybe room for discussion with her? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
I have seen Tesla puddle lights on the internet, but they were only the "T" logo and didn't have the word Tesla also. Where did you get those.
I took a different approach. Instead of "T" or "Tesla", I went to Buy4Car.com and reached out to their Customer support. Then sent them our Tesla provided local club round logo and asked them to make it into those little round transparent film dots that I installed in cylinder style logo lights, replacing non-Tesla. These now show my club's logo when I open the door.

no but it does make me giggle
I think that means the bottle is leaking...

I took a different approach. Instead of "T" or "Tesla", I went to Buy4Car.com and reached out to their Customer support. Then sent them our Tesla provided local club round logo and asked them to make it into those little round transparent film dots that I installed in cylinder style logo lights, replacing non-Tesla. These now show my club's logo when I open the door.
Awesome!
Can you please post a picture of this?
Also, do you mind sharing what it cost to get made?

I have always died K&N filters, but can’t seem to find the right size! Same for Bosch platinum plugs.

Nice. I am not sure about how to go about upgrading the sound system....

As for the super capacitors, I had the same thought, hitting the motors with a timed burst over over-voltage. I was thinking it would work like a nitrous burst.
There's a company in So Cal which specializes in upgrading audio for Tesla. They are pricey but people seem to love them. Here's a link to their site. You can find a few threads on here about them also.
https://www.reusaudio.com/

Hello,
I just got my Model 3 (and I love it!) but I started to wonder, how do I upgrade it?
With past cars, I have also made changes and upgrades, including adding parts from newer models or other compatible vehicles. Many cars are pre-wired for options, so adding a cd changer, homelink garage door opener or a factory alarm was easy.
Now, with the model 3, I’d like to add fog lights and maybe upgrade the sound system, but how?
I can see the listing under upgrades to purchase the rear seat heaters, which I take to mean “turn on” the rear seat heaters, but I don’t know if I will ever care about that enough to justify the cost of the upgrade.
I have seen some sound deadening kits on Amazon, has anyone tried to install these? Are they effective?
I also see led bulb upgrades for sale, does that mean the stock lighting is not led? That seems odd, since they are so energy efficient.
Anyway, I realized that I can’t tweak stuff as easily on this car, since it will “tell” on me! Also without a dashboard or a service manual, I am not even sure where to start!

what kinds of changes have you made to your Tesla?

thanks, very interested in seeing what people do to customize their cars!

You can modify the Model 3 just like any other car.

You can modify the Model 3 just like any other car.

Well, for example, on my Mini Cooper, I found a bank of switches from the European release that had an extra switch for the rear fog light, changed exhaust, springs and shocks, added upper stress bars, beefier sway bars, larger cold air intake, added a shelf for storage under the steering wheel (another euro-release prt), rims and tires, mats, PPF... and I don’t ren\member what else.
On a few cars I have found switches and parts that were released in other countries or parts from newer cars that could be retrofit. Also adding things like a cd changer and later an iPod adapter.
Of course there were also mods like porting and polishing the heads, or changing components like camshafts, cranks, pistons, flywheels, throttle bodies (carbs, way back when) plugs, wires, injectors, coils - anything that might be higher performance or more efficient.

Oil coolers, thermostatic fan switches that came on at lower temps or manual switches for the cooling, larger and better braking components, (rotors, pads, hoses, calipers, fluid), braided aero quip hoses to replace rubber hoses, anodized, polished and painted pieces to clean things up and add some “bling”...

The sound system could be swapped out with thousands of other options, there are many seats that can be interchanged as well as steering wheels, shifters and shift knobs, pedal covers, updated lighting (different color, brightness, now LEDs can do both) HID headlights (used to be halogen, then xenon).
Sound deadening mats can be added, though that can add weight, going against the idea of keeping the car as light as possible for efficiency.
Many of these apply, most don’t. Many I have forgotten.
I am just trying to work it out in this new world of cars and am looking to discovery what’s being done and what has been tried, good and bad. As time goes by the options will grow and change too, naturally.

Hello,
I just got my Model 3 (and I love it!) but I started to wonder, how do I upgrade it?
With past cars, I have also made changes and upgrades, including adding parts from newer models or other compatible vehicles. Many cars are pre-wired for options, so adding a cd changer, homelink garage door opener or a factory alarm was easy.
Now, with the model 3, I’d like to add fog lights and maybe upgrade the sound system, but how?
I can see the listing under upgrades to purchase the rear seat heaters, which I take to mean “turn on” the rear seat heaters, but I don’t know if I will ever care about that enough to justify the cost of the upgrade.
I have seen some sound deadening kits on Amazon, has anyone tried to install these? Are they effective?
I also see led bulb upgrades for sale, does that mean the stock lighting is not led? That seems odd, since they are so energy efficient.
Anyway, I realized that I can’t tweak stuff as easily on this car, since it will “tell” on me! Also without a dashboard or a service manual, I am not even sure where to start!

what kinds of changes have you made to your Tesla?

thanks, very interested in seeing what people do to customize their cars!
Check i1Tesla on YouTube, he has done pretty much everything to his Model 3 and now his Model Y.

View attachment 625212 Looking into getting the digital plate from Reviver for our Tesla’s.

Here in Arizona, electric vehicles get a blue “cloud plate” that allows alternative fuel vehicles in the HOV lane with any number of occupants..

I am waiting on an answer from Reviver to see if they have an agreement with the state to allow access to the HOV lanes with their plate...

PS love the wrap,,
What sucks about those plates is that you have to have a subscription and pay monthly, not sure if that has changed today but that was a turn off.