Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is *not* being proposed - and this is where the article is wrong - is anything to force you to follow a specific speed limit.. it's still your choice - it's mainly for people not paying attention and speeding without realizing it.

Exactly. Or paying attention to something other than staring directly at the speedo ... which is quite sensible sometimes! Towns and villages in the Borders frequently have 20 MPH speed limits and in any car you can make a very slight accelerator pressure change and be well north of that figure.

it is a complete shame... so much technology and one just simple option is not there... the care is already to do it as it should... but we still not having it... in meantime we just need to teach the right foot to avoid the fines at 30 and 50km/h ...

Reactions: RichardTheKing
The BMW i4 has this feature.. as do all (?) German designed cars.
When I bought the M3 it only realistic game in town. In 2 years there will be a load more "Performance" EV options and the Supercharger Network will be open to all.
Tesla will have to step up their game if they are not to be overtaken.
Tesla could end up as the automotive equivalent of the DH Comet.

The BMW i4 has this feature.. as do all (?) German designed cars.
When I bought the M3 it only realistic game in town. In 2 years there will be a load more "Performance" EV options and the Supercharger Network will be open to all.
Tesla will have to step up their game if they are not to be overtaken.
Tesla could end up as the automotive equivalent of the DH Comet.
It will be very nice if one day we can get it. I use it every day on my Honda CRV when driving in town.
Come on Tesla, this should be easy-peasy for you to set-up on the system.

I just use TACC as a speed limiter. What's the problem?
The problem is the car squealing and braking at parked cars and bicycles Or anything else it has to circumnavigate.
I’ve used TACC as a speed limiter for two years. It’s not what it’s designed for and next to useless.
Dumb cruise would handle it better but a speed limiter is the kiddy for task
Come on Elon FFS, it’s not that hard to code in software to handle it

+1 for a speed limiter. I had the pleasure of doing a speed awareness course courtesy of a mote of dust landing on my right foot, the extra weight of which was enough to send the Model X shooting off at 37mph in a 30 limit. I wouldn't mind, but it was for about three seconds! A load of the folks on the course were serial speeders, who saw no problem in going well above the limit regularly. And there's me explaining to them over coffee "it doesn't make any sense to speed in an EV, as drag is the square of speed, so it's way less efficient..." In all seriousness, totally my fault.

My Renault Zoe from 2013 has a speed limiter and I use it around town all the time. One button on the wheel to enable it at current speed, with plus/minus buttons. I really wish Tesla offered one in their cars. There's so much power that a slight shift of your foot can have a dramatic effect, and the beeping gets rather annoying when listening to music - not to mention when the car thinks the speed limit is lower than it actually is.

The problem is you can’t manually drive and have the car limit its speed to 30 or 40mph etc.

TACC is a totally different beast. If you've never had it, you’ll never miss it!
I know, but I just flick TACC on to cruise around at the speed limit. I can see how a limiter would be more foolproof, but no big deal. As you say, it's not something I've had to miss.

The problem is the car squealing and braking at parked cars and bicycles Or anything else it has to circumnavigate.
I’ve used TACC as a speed limiter for two years. It’s not what it’s designed for and next to useless.
Dumb cruise would handle it better but a speed limiter is the kiddy for task
Come on Elon FFS, it’s not that hard to code in software to handle it
I've just learned to manually over-ride the accelerator in those situations, but I do see what you mean. TACC is not good in towns and cities. I'm just lucky enough not to drive much on crowded streets, so it actually works okay for me. I can see how a simple limiter would be better.

Exactly. Or paying attention to something other than staring directly at the speedo ... which is quite sensible sometimes! Towns and villages in the Borders frequently have 20 MPH speed limits and in any car you can make a very slight accelerator pressure change and be well north of that figure.

Still not sure I understand why you simply can't use TACC.

If traffic is going slower than your set speed, that's the speed you go. If going faster, you don't go faster than the set speed.

Really speed limiters are designed to ignore your attempts to manually accelerate faster than the set speed.
So don't manually accelerate !