Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still not sure I understand why you simply can't use TACC.

If traffic is going slower than your set speed, that's the speed you go. If going faster, you don't go faster than the set speed.

Really speed limiters are designed to ignore your attempts to manually accelerate faster than the set speed.
So don't manually accelerate !
As several people pointed out, it's the phantom braking that makes TACC ineffective in urban environments. It works okay on a clear road, but not with parked cars.

My Ioniq had dumb cruise, smart cruise and speed limiter!
my 2012 Prius had the the same stupid bong arrangement for exceeding speed limits as Tesla’s have now.
it was worthless then and is now!
i would have the method of setting down once for limiter, down again for cruise, double down for AP/FSD with controls setting to disable limiter and revert to as is.
it’s not that difficult. We Just need Tesla to recognise the importance.
They managed to add 4 down for a stupid Easter egg. But don’t hold your breath for useful changes.

Still not sure I understand why you simply can't use TACC.

If traffic is going slower than your set speed, that's the speed you go. If going faster, you don't go faster than the set speed.

Really speed limiters are designed to ignore your attempts to manually accelerate faster than the set speed.
So don't manually accelerate !
In the UK we have obstacles in the road that we have to manoeuvre around, this is a major problem when using TACC.
We need a dynamic speed limiter as supplied on many others cars.

It doesn’t even need to be obstacles or urban roads. Plenty of A roads with a reduced speed limit (ie your speed is more under scrutiny) and even more corners that are not comfortable or safe even at speed limit.
I often use TACC on these weather permitting, but a speed limiter would be useful in any condition and avoid me having to drive the roads without having to be constantly adjusting the speed on the steering wheel.

A speed limiter is 100% useful 100% of the time, TACC 50% useful and even when useful is 0% capable of being used without constant manual intervention or a high risk of it unnecessarily intervening and having a hissy fit because for example a car ahead turning right from its dedicated turn lane and the car incorrectly thinks is an obstruction - a pretty common occurrence.

It doesn’t even need to be obstacles or urban roads. Plenty of A roads with a reduced speed limit (ie your speed is more under scrutiny) and even more corners that are not comfortable or safe even at speed limit.
I often use TACC on these weather permitting, but a speed limiter would be useful in any condition and avoid me having to drive the roads without having to be constantly adjusting the speed on the steering wheel.

A speed limiter is 100% useful 100% of the time, TACC 50% useful and even when useful is 0% capable of being used without constant manual intervention or a high risk of it unnecessarily intervening and having a hissy fit because for example a car ahead turning right from its dedicated turn lane and the car incorrectly thinks is an obstruction - a pretty common occurrence.
One is already provided, it's called a driver!

Anyone using cruise control in an urban environment should be disqualified from driving, it’s not meant to be used on those kind of roads and an accident waiting to happen.

TACC is an accident waiting to happen? If I'm glancing down at the dashboard and traffic in front slows up suddenly TACC is going to slow down, without it I'm either going to hit the car in front or, when I look up, have to brake heavily ... and that might give the car behind me a problem.

When traffic is nudging forwards for an intersection TACC will keep me nudging forward and reduce driver workload, and free me up for further / broader supervision and observation.

The only issue I have with it is that it is trying to maintain set-speed, if there is nothing in front of me, and in some places that might be excess for short stretches (simple answer, for me, is disengage and re-engage once safe to do so).

For loads of village speed limits around here its just fine. 100% off road parking, nothing parked in the road, no pavement, 30 MPH can be maintained without trouble - no sharp bends or anything else that TACC might goof over. But lots where I might ... e.g. momentarily distracted; speed builds up because I've not monitored it closely (and if I do that my eyes are off road for longer); something happens out of field of view. Car PLUS me does a better job than I would on my own.

Anyone using cruise control in an urban environment should be disqualified from driving, it’s not meant to be used on those kind of roads and an accident waiting to happen.
But the thread is asking for a speed limiter, not a cruise control. I found it immensely useful in my previous BMW, average speed check areas, M25, etc, just set it to the speed limit and you maintain full control of your speed using the throttle and never have to look down at the speedo. TACC is useless unless you're planning to stay in the same lane forever, as it is so slow to speed up when you move into another lane that is clear. I can't see how anyone can use TACC on a moderately busy motorway without seriously annoying other road users (or just staying in lane 1).

Reactions: Zilla91
Unpopular opinion but since I passed my test back in the late 90s I didn’t have any electronic aids at all (ok, I had ABS), and I managed ok.

There’s a part of me that feels that delegating responsibility for car control to the car is just eroding driving standards. There’s been threads on here where people have crashed into things because they’re blindly trusting the ultrasonics or the cameras, i.e. the mirrors aren’t even used, and people’s spatial awareness just degrades as reliance on technology increases.

I can’t say that I’ve ever really had difficulty both knowing my speed without looking and controlling it, even in powerful cars (I have a M3P now). I don’t really buy the argument that people can’t control their extremities sufficiently to stop themselves racing away above the speed limit. If those people are being genuine, rather than hyperbolic, then they perhaps shouldn’t be driving at all.

That being said - it’s a pretty common feature on cars nowadays, so if it isn’t a big job to add then maybe they should.

But the thread is asking for a speed limiter, not a cruise control. I found it immensely useful in my previous BMW, average speed check areas, M25, etc, just set it to the speed limit and you maintain full control of your speed using the throttle and never have to look down at the speedo. TACC is useless unless you're planning to stay in the same lane forever, as it is so slow to speed up when you move into another lane that is clear. I can't see how anyone can use TACC on a moderately busy motorway without seriously annoying other road users (or just staying in lane 1).
Agree 100% with all of this. And the added bonus of it being safe in an urban environment

TACC is an accident waiting to happen? If I'm glancing down at the dashboard and traffic in front slows up suddenly TACC is going to slow down, without it I'm either going to hit the car in front or, when I look up, have to brake heavily ... and that might give the car behind me a problem.

When traffic is nudging forwards for an intersection TACC will keep me nudging forward and reduce driver workload, and free me up for further / broader supervision and observation.

The only issue I have with it is that it is trying to maintain set-speed, if there is nothing in front of me, and in some places that might be excess for short stretches (simple answer, for me, is disengage and re-engage once safe to do so).

For loads of village speed limits around here its just fine. 100% off road parking, nothing parked in the road, no pavement, 30 MPH can be maintained without trouble - no sharp bends or anything else that TACC might goof over. But lots where I might ... e.g. momentarily distracted; speed builds up because I've not monitored it closely (and if I do that my eyes are off road for longer); something happens out of field of view. Car PLUS me does a better job than I would on my own.
Not being in control of the accelerator when there are pedestrians nearby, when there are obstructions in the form of parked cars and when cars are coming on and going off from side streets means it’s an accident waiting to happen.

And that’s without phantom braking which means the poor sod behind you ends up rear ending because you stop sharply for no good reason.

There’s a part of me that feels that delegating responsibility for car control to the car is just eroding driving standards.
I can buy into this. I only passed in 2012 (I lived in London for years, and there didn't seem to be any point being able to drive in central!), and I'd be lost reverse-parking without a rearview camera. My other half passed in '99, and she's way better at parking than me.

Reactions: Durzel
TACC isn't going to see the road is narrow and there might be children behind the parked cars.. it isn't going to know you're about to drive into an area where people regularly cross the road. It doesn't have local knowledge.

In much of this town >20mph is dangerous and in the residential streets I'd frown at >10mph, but TACC thinks the speed limit is 30. A speed limiter allows you to go slower than the limit as the circumstances change, and doesn't try to outguess you. And that's before you get into all the phantom braking and getting confused by street furniture..

Reactions: Zilla91
The lack of speed limiter and dumb cruise is down to Tesla’s (or Elon’s) philosophy that the car will drive itself and both are therefore unnecessary.
That may prove to be true in 2030 but here in the real world of 3 speed cameras for every driver, it’s a class one essential driving aid.

Reactions: Durzel
Because the car can’t cope with UK streets on TACC. It sounds alarms. It brakes if there is a car parked quite legitimately at the side of the road.
Another one: a car crosses at a junction - no collision but a but little close for comfort. TACC does nothing as the car starts to move, nothing as it is directly in front. The car moves out of our path, and *then* TACC slams the brakes on.

Good job guys. 🤣

I am not interested or looking for a speed limit feature on a Tesla, but. I was looking at the Tesla Remote app, to pair some NFC tags to Tesla Remote shortcuts. I saw a shortcut within the Tesla Remote app that is named Enable Speed Limit. Anyone looked at that? (I'm not bothering, but I thought I would share with on this thread.)

I am not interested or looking for a speed limit feature on a Tesla, but. I was looking at the Tesla Remote app, to pair some NFC tags to Tesla Remote shortcuts. I saw a shortcut within the Tesla Remote app that is named Enable Speed Limit. Anyone looked at that? (I'm not bothering, but I thought I would share with on this thread.)
That's probably the PIN protected upper speed limit, e.g. 85 mph to stop loan driver going to fast (e.g. adult child).

Reactions: Sparkeur
This dynamic speed limiter is a must here in Europe.

To those who would say " Can't you monitore your speed ?"
I woul only reply "No"
In Paris , I already have to monitor, cars, delivery cars, buses, bicycles, kick scooters, kids, tourism buses, motorcycles, pedestrians, tourists a whole bunch of people who you just appear on the road at any instant.
If I drive in a 30 limited area, I would put myself in danger in I drive slowlier (the other ones behind will be mad and can possibly become agressive).
And if I am faster, on top of the danger in represents, I will get caught by all the automatic and mobile cameras - and may loose my drive license.

So NO, I really don't have time to monitor my speedometer. My eyes must stay on the road.

And Yes, I really miss the dynamic speed limiter that I have had in all my previous cars since 2000s

@ElonMusk : HELP please !