Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we navigate to multiple stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is on her first multi-state road trip in our 2019 M3SR. She is using the touchscreen for navigation, not an app. From her texts just now:
-------------------------------------
Here’s the basic challenge: I can navigate to Richmond, but I can’t navigate to Dayton with a stop in Richmond. When I navigate to Richmond, it tells me how many stops I need to make and then I’ll have 10% charge left on the car when I get there.
But I know I’m going to have to get back in the car and drive to Dayton, and I don’t know if 10% charge is enough to get me to the next charger.
So I have to go into Google Maps, plan a trip from Richmond to the hotel, and then add a stop to a Tesla charger on the way. That tells me that, yes, there will be a charger just off the highway before I leave Richmond. So I can relax.
But if I weren’t using Google, I would not have that confidence, especially because I have zero confidence in my car’s ability to predict how much charge I’ll have at the end of a trip. At least I’m traveling in 70° weather. It would be very different if it was under 35º.
Is there a way to navigate to multiple stops on the touchscreen? I'm looking under the Trip Planner section in the manual and not seeing anything like this. TIA!

Reactions: bay74
Nope.

Tesla hasn't cracked the advanced technology of waypoints that Garmin had 20 years ago.

More seriously- still no- but Elon has been claiming (for quite a while now) that waypoints are "coming soon"

If you route to your final destination it WILL self-add "waypoints" for needed charge stops-- but nothing else... so if you need non-charging stops along the way you need to use a 3rd party tool to plan the trip.

Most folks recommend A Better Routeplanner which has a ton of options and settings and will let you add all the waypoints you might need and then tell you where/when to stop to charge, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: mattnis and X-pilot
It has been ask so many times and on the Plaid delivery Elon did hint that waypoints are coming.
Like what was mentioned, ABRP is a great too. I still love using evtripplanner.com I know it's a bit clunky and not fancy but you can add or take away charger stops. I use the detail tab, slide the slider all the way to the right and note the distances. That gives me an idea how far chargers are from other stops. We'll usually use plugshare app to help pick and choose the chargers that we want to stop at.

Is there a way to navigate to multiple stops on the touchscreen? I'm looking under the Trip Planner section in the manual and not seeing anything like this. TIA!
No, Tesla engineers are not THAT smart.
They haven't been able to figure out how to support multi-destination routing for 10+ years. Nor has Elon been willing to integrate the best market solutions that are already available (Google, Garmin, etc).

I rely on GoogleMaps for multi-point routing, and traffic optimization. Supposedly, Tesla uses Google maps and traffic, before imposing its own rout planning and biases. In heavy traffic, I find that native GoogleMaps does a better job of re-routing around congested areas.

For highway driving, I run Waze, to get alerts on mobile tax collection locations.

HTH,
a

• Funny
Reactions: legendsk
My wife is on her first multi-state road trip in our 2019 M3SR. She is using the touchscreen for navigation, not an app. From her texts just now:
Here’s the basic challenge: I can navigate to Richmond, but I can’t navigate to Dayton with a stop in Richmond. When I navigate to Richmond, it tells me how many stops I need to make and then I’ll have 10% charge left on the car when I get there.
But I know I’m going to have to get back in the car and drive to Dayton, and I don’t know if 10% charge is enough to get me to the next charger.
So I have to go into Google Maps, plan a trip from Richmond to the hotel, and then add a stop to a Tesla charger on the way. That tells me that, yes, there will be a charger just off the highway before I leave Richmond. So I can relax.
But if I weren’t using Google, I would not have that confidence, especially because I have zero confidence in my car’s ability to predict how much charge I’ll have at the end of a trip. At least I’m traveling in 70° weather. It would be very different if it was under 35º.

I assume you mean Richmond, IN, not Virginia or some other state. Richmond, IN and Dayton, OH both have Superchargers.

The easiest method would be to navigate to Richmond, charge, have her meeting, then navigate to Dayton, do whatever, then navigate back home and follow the nav’s charging instructions.

The alternate method is to navigate to Dayton and on whichever stop she makes in Indianapolis, charge enough to accommodate the stop in Richmond, which is directly on her way. Planning to arrive in Dayton with 30% should be more than adequate to accommodate whatever needs to be done in Richmond.

It’s only 105 miles from Indy to Dayton with Richmond directly in between. Should be no sweat. Being her first big road trip, planning to charge in Richmond is probably the least anxiety-inducing option.

Make sure she knows how to view all Supercharger locations on the map. Tap the map to bring up the map controls, then tap the lightning bolt icon in the lower right corner to display all charging locations.

Last edited:
Nope.

Tesla hasn't cracked the advanced technology of waypoints that Garmin had 20 years ago.

More seriously- still no- but Elon has been claiming (for quite a while now) that waypoints are "coming soon"

If you route to your final destination it WILL self-add "waypoints" for needed charge stops-- but nothing else... so if you need non-charging stops along the way you need to use a 3rd party tool to plan the trip.

Most folks recommend A Better Routeplanner which has a ton of options and settings and will let you add all the waypoints you might need and then tell you where/when to stop to charge, etc.
Jeez, just wait 2 weeks.

/s

Nope.

Tesla doesn't use google for anything but the base maps and POIs.

the navigation data and routing engine are provided by Mapbox and the traffic data by TomTom

I thought perhaps Mapbox didn't support waypoints. After a quick search, I think it's more sad Tesla cannot spend the time to add support for the 20+ waypoints supported in Mapbox.

Requesting directions from the Mapbox Directions API requires at least two waypoints — an origin and a destination — but can also include up to 23 additional waypoints between (or a total of 25 waypoints).

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
But Elon just tweeted in two weeks we will have waypoints!

Until then use Waze.
Can you cite the tweet that he "just tweeted" ? I just wasted my time looking at his tweets and couldn't find the tweet you were referencing. His tweets since the last 24 hours were related to SpaceX. His last Tesla tweet was on September 16 which is outside the "just tweeted" timeframe. That tweet was about FSD beta and nothing to do with waypoints.